Multimedia Video Controller, Exclamation, Driver, Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicariousRogue

I am having a few issues and I'm not even sure that they're related. Just to let you know, I am not super computer smart and I don't always understand the technical language. So sometimes I need things further explained than other more computer savvy people. And I am about to rip my eyeballs out with these stupid problems!

First issue is that my DVD RW drive is not reading DVD discs (movies or games on DVD). The icon of the DVD does not appear under My Computer and if you click on it to access the drive, it freezes until you eject the DVD. It reads and plays audio CDs fine. This is weird to me and I have no idea why it's doing this. I have updated the drivers and firmware from Sony's site. My DVD drive is a "SONY DVD RW DW-U12A". My CD drive works fine with both music CDs and games.

My other issue is that when I go to my Device Manager, there is a black exclamation point on a yellow circle next to "Multimedia Video Controller" which is under the Other Devices section marked with a large yellow question mark. When I click properties, it says that there are no drivers installed. When I try to reinstall or update the driver, none can be found. I have a Sony Vaio Desktop PCV-RZ34G. There are a list of available downloadable drivers at their official site for my model (esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PCVRZ34G). I downloaded and installed the "Original - nVidia® Graphics Controller Driver" which did nothing. I do not have the same graphics card that came with my computer however it is a nVidia (GeForce 7600 GS).

I have no idea if the two problems are related. I am not sure what further information to provide about my computer so please let me know what information you need to help solve this problem. Any help would certainly be appreciated! Thanks in advance for your advice toward a solution.

:) Rachel

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the XP CD-DVD fix that you provided, installed it and restarted my computer. I wish the fix were that simple but when trying to play a DVD or run a game on DVD, it still does the same thing that I stated in my original post.

I also downloaded an update for my video card driver (via the link from the drivers thread in your post) but that did not change the issue with the "Multimedia Video Controller". Everything still stands as it did in my original post.

Thanks for your suggestions. I put more information on my computer in my profile as well... not sure if this will help. Any other advice is appreciated!!

Please click on Yes in your Profile To this question:
Would you like to show other members your computer specs? Default is (NO) This will be displayed in your posts via a drop down menu for other members to view. Add your system specs in your usercp Edit options.

Okay. Did that. Thanks.

Does anyone know how to fix my problem with recognizing DVDs? Or know where I can fix or find a Multimedia Video Controller driver?

Thanks. :) I have been to that link many times (as stated in my previous post). I do not know what to download that contains the proper drivers for the Multimedia Video Controller issue. And will any of these help me with my DVD problem?

I still get the error after installing the official Sony updates for audio and video.

Images of the error...
Image1.gif

Image2.gif

If you click reinstall, it says that there have not been any drivers installed for this. And if you click Update Drivers it says that one can not be found on the computer or through Microsoft web search.

Thanks for the images!

fyi... The one additional bit of info needed would have been had you clicked the Details tab on the device to reveal the Device ID

BUT simpler (and even better as it will report on all problem devices) method to report Device IDs for problems
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

/* EDIT *
Corrected word "driver" to "device" in second sentence

Thank you for your reply!!

Multimedia Video Controller
PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_813D104D&REV_01\4&2E98101C&0&48F0
The drivers for this device are not installed.

Go to the Sony Download / Driver site. select your OS and select MPEG

I'd install all drivers under MPEG starting with driver with earliest date and then continue in sequence by driver DATE

Thank you very, very much! :) That solved the error problem. I had absolutely no idea what drivers to download so I really appreciate you guiding me in the right direction. Seems like such a simple thing for me to have overlooked!

I guess my problems were not related, because my DVD drive is still not reading DVDs. It reads audio and games on CD fine, but no DVDs that I have tried can be recognized. It doesn't do anything except make little weird noises when you put it in and it freezes if you try to run or explore the drive until you eject the disc. I'm not sure if this is some set up or driver problem, if some other program is interfering, or if the drive itself is no long functional. I'd appreciate any advice or help on this issue as well. Is this the right forum to have this problem posted in?

Thank you!!

Thank you very, very much! :) That solved the error problem. I had absolutely no idea what drivers to download so I really appreciate you guiding me in the right direction. Seems like such a simple thing for me to have overlooked!

I guess my problems were not related, because my DVD drive is still not reading DVDs. It reads audio and games on CD fine, but no DVDs that I have tried can be recognized. It doesn't do anything except make little weird noises when you put it in and it freezes if you try to run or explore the drive until you eject the disc. I'm not sure if this is some set up or driver problem, if some other program is interfering, or if the drive itself is no long functional. I'd appreciate any advice or help on this issue as well. Is this the right forum to have this problem posted in?

Thank you!!

You're most welcome... wasn't able to narrow it down until you reported the device id involved.

(in future you can also google the starting portions of the device id data for clues)
Specifically searching for Type\Vendor&Device&Subsystem or for your case PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_813D104D

As for your DVD problem, several different possible reasons. Start with the Sony site again.. would suggest you first look closely at/reinstall things under
=> CD/DVD Drives
=> Click to DVD

But see what other stuff is about as well (e.g. under => PowerDVD)

You should also take a close look through it all as seems a number of general Windows XP issues along with System Recovery fixes best to install sooner then later when might be critically needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back