Windows did not start successfully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone please help me!!!!! Recently my computer shut down and rebooted on to the same message. The message was as follows:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

After I make a choice windows proceeds to only a blue flash of a screen and the it reboots over and over with the same blue screen. I have a Dell Dim. 4400 with 512mb and 80GB hard drive. Ive tried to boot from the windows cd and windows simply just rebooted to that same blue screen. Ive tried everything and im at the end of my ropes. So someone please help me.

The Blue screen you see is a BSOD from XP, which is set to automatically restart on that kind of error. Unless you can pause the screen or read what the error is, it may be hard to see what the problem is.

I suspect that you can NOT get into the Safe Mode option?
On that chance that you can, go into Control Panel and go to "System" and then the "Advanced" tab. Click "Settings" under Startup and Recovery. Then UNcheck "Automatically Restart".
This will let you see that Blue Scree so you can research the error. Then restart.

The first thing I would do is remove any new hardware that might have been installed, unplug any external devices like printer, scanner, camera, etc... and then try it.

If that doesn't work, put in that XP CD again and go into the CMOS setup and make sure the Boot Order is set to try that BEFORE the hard drive. With the CD in, when you restart, you should see a message "Press any key to boot from CD...". If you DON'T get that message, change the BIOS.

Once in the XP setup from the CD, go to Recovery Console. Once logged in there, run "CHKDSK /R /F" and see what happens.

If you need help getting that far, just ask away!

good luck

Okay, in BIOS, it should tell you what key to use to change the order. But normally it would be one of these:

- left and right arrow keys to change what is on the line

- "plus" and "minus" keys to move an entry up and down. Such as + and -

- page up and page down keys also are used sometimes.

Just make sure that CD-ROM comes first and hard drive after. It may be possible to NOT have one in the list. For example it may let you remove the hard drive from the list, of course you don't want that!
You get the idea.

Let us know what happens

I'm having the exact same problem as the op. Same message same symptoms. I can get the xp cd to boot, but how can I repair it, it doesn't seem to be listed? Maybe since it's oem cd(dell) it doesn't have the option? Should I just do a clean install?

recovery

vnf4ultra said:
I'm having the exact same problem as the op. Same message same symptoms. I can get the xp cd to boot, but how can I repair it, it doesn't seem to be listed? Maybe since it's oem cd(dell) it doesn't have the option? Should I just do a clean install?

ur dell cd might have the recovery option use it, this will help you through the entire setup process.

hope this helps

:angel:

My dell "restore" disc didn't have the repair option, so I just went ahead and reinstalled. I'm typing this on the problematic computer as we speak, so it must have worked ;). Nice to have a fresh install, and it fixed my problem of rebooting. I hooked my hd up to another computer and backed up before I formatted so I didn't really lose much. Glad it's fixed. Now to the endless job of installing drivers and programs.

Need Help...Thx

I have two computers and i switched the ONLY the hard drives. Now it says:
We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

Sooo... i cant reinstall window on that drive because i have impotant information on it. Is there any way to get windows to boot with this hard drive onto a diffrent computer.

Thanks for your time and concern

u asked and I will answere. if al u intend to do is coppy files, u can put that drive in another computer as a second hard drive, boot from the first and coppy away it will still have every thing on it.

I checked my system errors log and found a lot of errors and warnings; plus, they only go back to the 5th of the month, when I reformatted and reinstalled all my programs.
Another problem I had, when I reformatted my 2 partition OS drive, labeled as C and F, it caused me to lose files on my 2 partition storage drive labeled D and E. Luckily I had everything I needed on CDs, but I dont know why or how this occurred.
My errors for my windows failing to start properly and more are attached

Hey im having the same problem although i cannot go into safe mode and i dont kno what to do with the cd. I put it in and then wait for it restart and the reboot from cd option doesnt appear. I have also changed the BIOS order to place cd rom first and that doesnt seem to help. Help would be very much appreciated, its got assignments on it. Ps wat is CMOS setup

Thanks guys

Hello Guys, Jay here from HI. First of all thanks for all the hints. I have been a fan for quite a bit....I am very computer dumb and this site always helps.

In any case, I am having a problem with the "blue" screen. I have a compaq, about 4 1/2 years old and each time I try to reboot it takes me back to the same page.

please help......no new hardware was installed. No programs were installed. I only disconnected a USB drive without using SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE.

Normally.

Safe Mode

Hi there. I am having a problem with my laptop. I keep getting this same screen popping up.

Normally.

Safe Mode

I managed to get to the advanced options screen and stopped the automatic restart so i could see the blue error screen. it is saying the following after telling me about a problem being detected. "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" it goes on to tell me about about properly installed software/hardware then tries to tell about disabling said hardware/software. at the bottom of the screen it gives a line of technical info. It says - *** STOP: 0X000000ED (0x84F3CBB8, 0XC000009C, 0X00000000, 0X00000000) I don't have the reboot disc, and I am as literate in computers as I am in nuclear fusion. I'm not. Please help me, someone. This computer is my lifeblood. What can I do.

Me Too!

I have the exact same problem as the above posters. Here is how it happened...I somehow got infected with a spyware that installed directly into the toolbar. About every 20 seconds I would get a balloon telling me to buy a program to remove the suspected spyware...ain't happenin'!

I had used StopZilla in the past and figured I would use it again to get rid of this annoying pest. I downloaded and installed StopZilla and and immediatly after registering the screen froze. I had to CTL+ALT+DEL and end program to close. I restarted I think twice before getting the same message as the previous posters. Now I'm just concerned about lost data.

It is a Compaq with 80GB. From what I have read on the replies my data has a good chance of being alive. That's good. If I can't find the boot disc (I think I still have it) can I download one from HP?

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Guys,

Im having the exact same problem. The only difference is when ever i choose any of the 5 options my screen just goes blank. No Blue flickering nothing just in idle. I gave it about ten minutes or so thinking that it may just need time but still no success. I even went into the BIOS to try and boot from the cd and then i had a error message saying "An unexpected error has occurred. (536821760) occurred at line 1768 in D:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c" Then i press any key as it says then it reboots back to the same screen with the five options.

What can I do???? I have valueable information on my hard drive that i need to retrieve. Thanks alot in advance for any help or suggestions.

almost same situation, except I used spybot S & D

I have the exact same problem as the above posters. Here is how it happened...I somehow got infected with a spyware that installed directly into the toolbar. About every 20 seconds I would get a balloon telling me to buy a program to remove the suspected spyware...ain't happenin'!

I had used StopZilla in the past and figured I would use it again to get rid of this annoying pest. I downloaded and installed StopZilla and and immediatly after registering the screen froze. I had to CTL+ALT+DEL and end program to close. I restarted I think twice before getting the same message as the previous posters. Now I'm just concerned about lost data.

It is a Compaq with 80GB. From what I have read on the replies my data has a good chance of being alive. That's good. If I can't find the boot disc (I think I still have it) can I download one from HP?

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers,

Mike

my computer was simply running slow and we have highspeed cable. I knew my 16 year old had been downloading all kinds of things from game sites, etc so I immediately supsected either viruses, trojans or spyware. I downloaded SpyBot S&D and ran it. It found about 7 trojans and some spyware and then cleaned them. (well all except about 3 and it said that after the computer rebooted, it would take care of those).
I surfed and emailed a little more and then shut the pc down and went to bed.

This morning when trying to boot up, I got the above messages as well. None of the 5 options work. I've tried F10 to recover when that screen is offered, but it does nothing. I can escape into set up but there is nothing in there that I can find that will help. I don't have the cd. I had a new hard drive installed about 3 or 4 months ago and have had no problems. I have installed no new hardware recently, the last thing was a new keyboard about a month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back