Monitor turns off on boot with Nvidia graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullhorn

Monitor turns off on boot with Nvidia graphics card (fixed)

Hi,
I've searched and searched for this one but not found anything quite the same. I have a 128MB Nvidia graphics card. (Came with pc second hand). If I move my PC I have trouble on booting up. Just before the welcome screen my monitor turns off but the pc continues to boot up. Previously, after many attempts at booting up, it has righted itself and worked fine. But I can't seem to get it to this time. I've taken the card out and put it in another pc and it's worked fine.
I just don't get it how it can fail after simply moving the tower from one place to another and (previously) right itself. Can anyone please help?
Much appreciated.
Greg

128MB Nvidia graphics card
Relisys 17inch CRT monitor
Asrock motherboard

perhaps its refreshing too fast.
try booting in safemode (hold ctrl when switching on until the option for safemode comes up)

Thanks PC NERD,
I can't seem to start in safe mode. I've tried ctrl and F8 and F12.
I tried msconfig and attempted Diagnostic Startup but it requires me to be the administrator....I AM the administrator! :bounce:
I'm losing the plot!
Greg

(Added 05-03-2006 F8 key did boot my PC in safe mode)

You seem to think the graphics card is the problem, so there's obviously a reason. Is it loose in the slot? It sounds like the card is falling out of place and therefore the monitor is turning off, but everything else keeps working. Do you have another graphics card you can try in the pc? Or onboard graphics? I always manage to whack my pc with my knee when I'm turning it on(clumsy) but I've never actually dislodged anything...
As for not being able to boot in safe mode, and being told you're not the administrator, did your version of windows come with the pc, or did you recently re-install windows? That's actually more confusing than the first problem!

Hi Paranoid Guy,
Thanks. I'm not sure if the card is the problem of course true enough. It's locked securely in the slot. What I meant to say is, I've tried another card in the slot and it worked fine.
I see what you're getting at with administrator prob. The OS came with the PC but I changed the administrator to me. Could it still be looking for the previous owner? There is only me as the registered user/administrator.
Thank you.
GD

Ok, if you've tried another card in the pc and everything has worked perfectly that narrows it down a lot. What is the make/model of the card?
I'm still thinking something may be loose or just old, but I'm running out of causes.
Now for the administrator problem. I've seen threads here where people have experienced problems like that after changing the administrator. I'll have a look for one of those threads now.

Thanks Tech Guy,
The card is an Nvidia I'm told and the only info on it reads;128MB DDR W/TV. Here's a pic...
Much appreciated.
GD

Attachments

• card.jpg
    card.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 23
Woah, I really don't know what that is. Can you go to start, then run, then type in dxdiag and when that comes up go to the display tab? It should tell you what graphics card you have in there.
And the admin problem, this was the thread I was mainly thinking of, but it's not exactly your problem, I think.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8914.html
I'll look for another one.

I was told it was Nvidia but the problem is, if I leave it in the slot and connect the monitor to the motherboard, the monitor doesn't come on at all. Presumably because it's expecting to be connected through the card. Catch 22!
I've tried Googling images for the card but can't seem to find it. Apparently it is Nvidia. The sticker on it is slightly worn but there's a number which could read 62000. I don't know if that's any help.
I really appreciate your time Paranoid Guy.
Thanks for the link. I'll look into that.
Greg

Hey thanks Paranoid Man, especially with you being under the weather. Hope you're feeling better soon :approve: !!
G

Hi Paranoid Guy,
Don't know if you'll get this but I'll try anyway.
My graphic card works fine in another PC and I know that their card (which is an NVIDIA GEFORCE MX-200/32MB) works fine in mine.
So my PC must not like my card which I found out is a 128MB NVIDIA GEFORCE4 MX 4000 (Integrated RAMDAC if any help)
Could it be something in the BIOS? I don't like to go raking around there.
Thanks
G

Hi bullhorn
Has your card got a TV output on it because it sounds to me like it is set to TV output as the primary output on your system
If that is the case you could try booting on a TV if you have one that you can connect to
If not you could try what i did when i had that problem and run a windows repair provided you have your windows disk and product key still
Handy Link:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html
(How to repair windows)

Hey Madman thanks. I wondered about that. There is another output. It's not a coaxial output, not sure what it is.
The card's working fine as I type on another pc and will see if I have the correct cable to try however, is there a way to change the defualt setting you speak of other than a repair? I'll try it though if you think it might work.
Many thanks.
GD

It sounds like the monitor cable connector and the video card connector don't mate very well. Are you sure when you wiggle the cable the signal doesn't come back?

If the video was dead or not compatible with the PC it would never have worked in there or if dead not work in another PC. If your mobo was dieing then the MX-200 (your friends) card won't work in your PC AND your BIOS would beep on start-up (a series of beeps) in the case of either card.

Conclusion: the monitor and card are not connecting together well.

Cheers.

bullhorn said:
Hey Madman thanks. I wondered about that. There is another output. It's not a coaxial output, not sure what it is.
The card's working fine as I type on another pc and will see if I have the correct cable to try however, is there a way to change the defualt setting you speak of other than a repair? I'll try it though if you think it might work.
Many thanks.
GD

In resonce to that there probably is if you connect your television and then use the NVIDIA software to reconfigure the default output
However if you cant do that then a system repair is your best bet (well it fixed my problem)
In the end it really depends on what resources that you have at your desposal

Thanks Madman and Kirock. A loose connection would explain why I have trouble when I move the PC and why the card has previously suddenly decided to work before.
I will try these things and also the system repair ASAP.
Your replies are much appreciated!
G

Hi. If anyone's still there. I did a repair as suggested and my monitor now comes on and stays on. However, there are a few problems; my display is slow and I've tried to install the Nvidia software from their site. It won't install and can't find hardware to support it.
I'm off to push everything over a cliff....

Thank you Baltan.
I discovered I had an account with them! Must've forgotten.
I can't fix this. I can't install any Nvidia software. Tried various. I can't remove some that's there. The thing is, when I try running 'dxdiag' it doesn't show my card at all, and my monitor is connected to my card! Help!
Please?!
Thank you
GD

boot up in safe mode

go [right click my computer>properties>hardware tab>device manager]
find the video adaptors tree, delete all relating to video card/drivers.
find a app (maybe on the nvidia website, or google it) that will clean out all the display drivers from your system and run it. reboot.
try installing the drivers (may autodetect sometimes).

Many thanks N3051M but I'm not having much luck here.

I can't find any relevant references to my card in my tree which I've included a snap-shot of.

I can't uninstall the Nvidia reference in my add/remove and running Driver Cleaner 3 didn't do it either. I ran it in safe-mode and everything as required.

Everytime I try to install an Nvidia driver it tells me "The nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit"

I don't understand why the card is recognised in my friends PC but not in mine and the monitor is connected to it.

ANYmore help would be welcome. Thanks.

GD

Attachments

• tree.GIF
    tree.GIF
    9.3 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back