Always show hibernate option on Shut Down menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

altheman

I dont know if it can be done again, but when i first got my laptop, the hibernate option used to appear alongside the rest of them. After I formatted, it stopped showing up.

Is there anyway to do that again, or is it something only pc manufacturers can do though some sort of windows edit.

after u click Turn off computer, hold down the SHIFT key to make the Stand by button change to Hibernate did u mean that? (this is for windoze xpsp2)

"My problem with not being able to start (enable) hibernate has been solved. We finally called Microsoft and paid $35 for the answer.

The tech after listening to the problem and asking the 3 obvious questions: is it enabled in bios; can I hold the shift key and see hibernate; and select hibernate in the power options.

After answering those again, the tech then had us run 'msconfig'. We 'disable all' on 'Startup'; 'Services', 'boot'; 'WIN.INI'; and 'SYSTEM.INI'.

We restarted the computer and was able to 'enable hibernate' in the Power Options.

We ran 'msconfig' again and 'enabled all' on the 5 sections.

We restarted the computer and the hibernate works fine.

According to the tech's response from Microsoft:

Action: Hits hibernate button.

Result: A process is currently running that is preventing another process from going into hibernate.

Cause: Startup group items were preventing hibernate.

Resolution: Performed clean boot of the system by removing all startup group items. Now able to get into hibernate. Rechecking startup group items didn't have any effect on hibernate. It seems that it only affected it when hibernate was disabled."

From HERE

i think you misunderstood my post. what i meant was that Hibernate used to appear next to Standby, Restart and Shut Down Options. I know about the Shift method. Google hasnt produced anything interesting, and Hibernate works fine on my laptop.

It would be better if there was anyway to make Hibernate appear with the rest of the options, as it was with factory settings.

I reckon its somewhere in the registry, either a value added or a value changed.. like any other function in typical windows.. you'd probably need another pc that has that button added on, and one without the button (yours) to compare between. Thats the only logical explaination left (well, not realy "only", but one I can think of right now..)

I did find a few interesting things in there (among crap that i havn't bothered to clean up), probably not relevant to this discussion so i'll keep it to myself :D but there is a section for the shutdown and commands.. though its extremly late at night (my head is about to fall on this keyboard :) and i've failed to write down where it was.. sorry.. but all i remebered was using find in regedit and looking for shut and hiber...

i'll have another look tomorrow if i have time.. but i've got a pc that doesnt have the button, so if its a value to be added then it wont yeild much...

Im still hunting for the reg. key, not much luck so far :(.

btw N3051M, your post makes it sound like you really are gonna fall asleep at the pc, lol.

hmm.. i just made shortcut to my desktop; first press second (right) mouse button /new/shortcut/type in the box without quote (or copy paste) "%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState" /then name it "hibernate" now we have shortcut to hibernate.. however u must go in controlpanel power options properties/advanced and then select the in dropbox; when i press the sleep button on my computer.. hibernate or else it goes sleep mode.. u can now put that new shortcut to the startmenu..of course not the same thing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back