How to get rid of Symantec, Norton (for good)

Status
Not open for further replies.

da_head

Umm I believe there was a thread before asking on how to get rid of Norton. I believe the person was unsuccessful. However have no fear! I've found the solution.

Norton Removal Tool (symnrt)
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/1437-norton-removal-tool-symnrt.html

I'm pretty sure most people know about this program, but just giving a heads up to those who don't. This is a legit program licensed by Norton itself.

I've used it myself to get rid of a stubborn 2004 version. I have 2006 rite now but maybe I should just ditch it for good lol.

If the techspot link doesn't work, simply go to google and type in symnrt. Cheers!

P.S. For recommended replacements of Norton, please scroll down below. Have fun saving money and system resources!

I`ve stickied this thread, as I believe it will be very useful to other members.

We all know what a pain in the rear Symantec/Norton crapware can be to uninstall.

I agree with your consideration to ditch NIS2006. You`ll certainly see an increase in your system`s perfomance.

Regards Howard :)

I'm really happy you stickied my post. Therefore, since this is a sticky, Howard can u please suggest some replacements for Norton? It would be extremely helpful for people who want to un-install Norton, and wish to find a replacement. I know there has been suggestions in other threads, but just to make it offical. (eg. Zonealarm) Thanks :D

No problem mate.

The free AVG antivirus and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes are very good. They`ll use a lot less system resources than Symantec/Norton crapware.

You can get them HERE, HERE and HERE.

Dumb question, but where do we find the useful stickied threads?? Newbies would love to read them I'm sure. Thx.

lol its called scrolling down to the threads right below this one (the ones with read in front of them)? Or are you insulting my post? :p

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

tldge said:
Dumb question, but where do we find the useful stickied threads?? Newbies would love to read them I'm sure. Thx.

You can find the sticky threads at the top of each forum.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

this program is so fun to get rid of LOL
OMG THE PROGRAM IS SUCCESSING! WOOOT! ^_^
OMG! OMG IT WORKED YAYAYAYAYAY! *dances*

Kaorichan2002 said:
this program is so fun to get rid of LOL
OMG THE PROGRAM IS SUCCESSING! WOOOT! ^_^
OMG! OMG IT WORKED YAYAYAYAYAY! *dances*

lol happy to help.

Get rid of NIS 2006. Since I installed it on both my PCs I am unable to send/receive any emails using Thunderbird/Eudora Pro/Outlook.

When I open any of those packages the system connects to my server and returns an error message about not being able to access. At that poing Microsoft's error notification starts up and NIS and all of it's parts dies leaving my system wide open.

I have tried all suggestions from Symantec and others but the only thing that allows me to access my email is to remove ccApp.exe from system startup. Symantec claims that something else is causing this problem but when NIS is not running my system behaves fine.

I fully intend to use the above information to permanently remove all traces of any Symantec product from all my systems.

lol I always hated Norton because when Im playing Battlefield 2142 and a pop-up comes saying "Would you like a update for Norton?"

Then I say no then the computer gets 50 more popups with big bold letters with the same thing over and over about a norton update then when you do click Yes it'll say "That will be $49.99" then I get really mad...

VvWolverinevV said:
I feel like my computer just took a huge **** and is now able to run faster and jump higher ;)

I`ve been telling folks for ages what a resource hogging load of crap Symantec/Norton is ;)

McAfee aint much better either.

I`m glad your enjoying your Symantec/Norton crapware free system lol.

Noob question I know but should I download the free anti virus programs and then uninstall norton or the other way around?

Scolaire said:
Noob question I know but should I download the free anti virus programs and then uninstall norton or the other way around?

Download whichever antivirus and firewall programmes you`re going to use and disconnect from the net.

Completely uninstall Norton. Once Norton is fully uninstalled, reboot your computer. Install whichever firewall programme you chose, followed by whichever antivirus programme you chose and reboot your computer the required number of times. Reconnect to the net and run the antivirus updates.

Great thanks I got rid of norton, I only had a few days left on the trial anyway. I don't like the way it comes pre-installed on brand computers.

thanx

i thought it was just me... my laptop has been sooo slow and it's just over a year old. i updated my norton subscription on my desktop, but didn't realize it wouldn't work for both machines. i've been (stubbornly) putting off renewing for my laptop. i just can't believe it's $40. just a year ago i paid $20. i'm not cheap, but i'm really annoyed by that ccApp.exe file that i always have to force "end program" when i shut down.

thanks for letting me know it's ok to use the free stuff!! i'm glad i don't have to rely (or pay for) norton or mcafee!

Aw i had such a nightmare with norton! (it came already installed on my laptop) Its awful. It wouldnt let me run MSN Messenger while it was on. Although ive got rid of it and now using Panda which is very good!

yeah maybe norton is not good in our system due to large amount of storage being used. but when it comes to security I certainly choose norton because norton plays a big role regarding viruses and trojans. Im using norton 2005.lol.

Its up to you guys not to choose norton, Im just sharing my experiance using norton.lol

wiss22 said:
i thought it was just me... my laptop has been sooo slow and it's just over a year old. i updated my norton subscription on my desktop, but didn't realize it wouldn't work for both machines. i've been (stubbornly) putting off renewing for my laptop. i just can't believe it's $40. just a year ago i paid $20. i'm not cheap, but i'm really annoyed by that ccApp.exe file that i always have to force "end program" when i shut down.

thanks for letting me know it's ok to use the free stuff!! i'm glad i don't have to rely (or pay for) norton or mcafee!

Yes that ccApp.exe pops up on occasion when I shut down my Norton 360 protected system. I absolutely refuse to use McAfee. I used Norton programs when they were still Norton and not Symantec. Many have a love/hate relationship with Symantec Norton. I have used several "free" protection programs, and I've always returned to Norton eventually. AVG Free or AVG purchased editions just bugged the heck out of me when it updated itself 5 or 6 times a day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back