Battlefield 1942 Graphics Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

I've been playing BF 1942 for quite a while now with no problems. Just updated with the latest patch to V1.6 and now I've got a problem with the opening splash screens and the menu. Part of the opening menu is off the screen to the right and bottom, I can't see all of it.

I did a restore to before the patch and that didn't help. I've changed resolution and settings up and down also to no avail.

My computer is in my profile and I'm using Cat. 4.10 drivers. I'm using 1024x768 res., but like I said I've tried just about all resolutions that my monitor supports. Anyone know what to do about this? Thanks in advance.

did you adjust the settings on your monitor? the refresh rate changes sometimes. you probably did that already but i was not really sure from your post.

on quake3demo, i get the problem where part of main menu is off to the right at 1280x1024. it only gets this problem 1280x1024. all the CATs gave me this problem but it is probably the demo's fault.

Thanks for the reply BrownPaper.

No, I haven't touched the monitor, and anything else I look at is okay. I've got an LCD and I'm running it at 60 Hz. I did try going up on the refresh rate also, and it didn't have any effect.

I've tried a couple of other games, MOHAA and the Far Cry demo, and there is no problem with them.

Forgot to add, when I get into an online game, (or single player), everything is centered the way it's supposed to be, no problem there. But, now I'm very limited to games I can connect to, maybe because of the new version, and also maybe because of PunkBuster not being enabled. I guess that setting is off the screen on the menu where I can't see it.

Hmmm....just launched mine (just the intro, not the game) using the same driver set on the Sapphire 9600 Pro and it looks fine. Did you download the 1.5 to 1.6 update or the full-blown 1.6 patch (about twice the size). I used the big one myself. I know in the past there's been some initial problems with patches on their first release. Maybe you should try the larger patch if you haven't already.

Just my $.02

Olefarte, I dont think there is a punkbuster on/off setting (that I know of anyway). I updated to 1.6 recently too but I mostly play Desert Combat. That isn't cool though did you try changing any of the settings in the ATI control panel?

Masque, I did use the 1.5 to 1.6 update. I'll go back and download the full patch and see what happens.

Acid, when I try to join a game, (not all games are PunkBuster yet),I get a message saying I must enable PunkBuster. It's evidently a check box at the bottom of the menu and I can't see it.

This is from the PunkBuster site.
On the game's Multiplayer screen you will see a PunkBuster checkbox near the bottom, under the list of servers. This checkbox is used to Enable and Disable the PunkBuster client.
Also, I did use the default ATi settings, but I've changed them several times and nothing seems to help.

I too play Desert Combat almost exclusively, to me it's a lot more fun.

I also reinstalled the Cat. drivers, didn't help. But I'm getting a error message, "unable to open the file c:\windows\system32\ATMenuxx.CNT", after rebooting. Don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Finally got the full patch downloaded and installed. Didn't help. Guess the next step is to uninstall the whole game and reinstall.

Yikes. Well, at least they are trying to do something about cheaters. Though I've never noticed any. The only problem I have with anyone is TK'ers :).

One of the new features in the game is in the options / video setting. Besides setting the resolution you play at, you can also set at what refresh rate was well. Check in there to see if changing that can help. Other than that, a clean reinstall with the FULL (not incremental) 1.6 patch should help.

Thanks cascott, I've tried all that and no help there.

Also uninstalled the game and reinstalled, (Deluxe Edition). Everything is ok till I add the patch. I did download the full 1.6 patch. When I install the patch, it's back to the same thing, the menu is off the screen to the right and bottom again.

Now I've uninstalled again and done a search and deleted all Battlefield files, and am going to download the patch from another site, (maybe it was corrupted), and try again. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks, MonkeyBoy, already wanting somthing better, just can't afford it though.

I can play, but mostly I play Desert Combat, and I can't see the "Activate" or "PunkBuster" button on the bottom. Also "Quit" for that matter. The only way I can quit is to use control/alt/delete. I'm downloading the patch again, so I can try again. I'm at wits end here. Can't find anything on Google either.

Yeah, I've use FileShack, and it's fast, but I don't like waiting in line. I usually use GamersHell, hardly ever have to wait there, and they have high speed downloads. WorthPlaying is also pretty good, usually no waiting.

Have you tried checking the BF1942 forums at the main site? There's a lot of kids there who just like hanging and talking rubbish, but you might find a clue to your problem. If I get a chance, I'll give it a look for you.

Masque, you must be a genius, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I went to PlanetBattlefield and this problem was almost at the top of the list in the forums.
I found that I edited the VideoDefault.con file in \Mods\bf1942\Settings folder. I changed renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0 to 1 and it started up correctly.

Only thing now I've got to finish downloading v1.6 (again), and reinstall the game before I can try the fix. I'll report back after I try it.

Genius I'm not (but thanks anyway :D ). But there's another issue with it that seems to be affecting MANY players. Not being able to play online with the 1.6 patch. Loads the map a bit over halfway and drops to the desktop. I'm monitoring this now to see what's up with it. I'll try to keep you posted.

Originally posted by Masque
Genius I'm not (but thanks anyway :D ). But there's another issue with it that seems to be affecting MANY players. Not being able to play online with the 1.6 patch. Loads the map a bit over halfway and drops to the desktop. I'm monitoring this now to see what's up with it. I'll try to keep you posted.

That was an issue with the last several versions of Desert Combat, of which I had the same problem and wasnt able to play for the last few versions. Up until the .6f Desert Combat patch which was really annoying obviously and no one knew why, but I found out that a lot of people were having that problem. When I updated to .6f recently when it came out it fixed that and now I'm finally able to play.

I found that I edited the VideoDefault.con file in \Mods\bf1942\Settings folder. I changed renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0 to 1 and it started up correctly.
Ok, now that I've reinstalled, and found this file "VideoDefault.con", I get the message, "Windows cannot open this file". What do I do to get it to open?

Make sure you've not changed the extension on it. If you have, change it back to '.con'. If you need help creating a new one, I can post the contents of the default one here when I get home.

I haven't changed anything yet, I haven't been able to get any farther than the "VideoDefault.con" file, which I can't open. I need to get it open so I can change the refresh rate value, as per the instructions I posted.

Can you get into safe mode and do it? I can't understand why it won't let you normally......:confused:

Someone just told me, when it asks what I want to use to open, to use NotePad. I did that and changed the value from 1 to 0, and that solved the problem. I can now see the menu normally.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back