Virus software eg. norton, mcafee etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really recommend using any software firewall. They are pretty much pointless and none of them do the job the way it should be done.

I guess if I were to recommend any it would be the ones that are created by professionals (at least the better of them) such as Norton Antivirus (obviously anti-virus program) and Norton Internet Security (firewall).

These both provide Live-Update utilitys to keep your virus definitions up to date and the program up to date.

Zone Alarm (firewall) is free and "decent". It is used pretty widely.

You just *think* they work better. Once you are actually hacked by someone with ability you may not have the same tone. Ask any professional, and they will tell you a software firewall is pretty much useless. (but read below)

One reason I say this is, take someone with real ability who wants to do something malicious to your system. Using a software firewall that person will easily get through your defenses.

For this reason I have not even bothered with a firewall for years. I used Zone Alarm for a bit and Norton Internet Security for a bit but once I learned more about security I trashed those. I've been without a firewall for probably 6 years, with no problem. (other than being hit once with the RPC exploit, which was fixed in 5 minutes with a Windows update and not a firewall).

If cost wasn't an issue, my recommendation would be a Cisco firewall + additional firewalls. (Which could include a software firewall, but the CISCO firewall being the main "line of defence").

Note: I am referring to a software firewall as something like Zone Alarm, and hardware as something like a CISCO firewall. I'm not saying the firewall is "hardware" in all senses.

Security tests for your PC:
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
http://scan.sygatetech.com/probe.html

You just *think* they work better. Once you are actually hacked by someone with ability you may not have the same tone.

So since my car can't take a direct hit from an incoming 18-wheeler I shouldn't bother wearing a seatbelt?

There is no 100% proof security, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't try to defend oneself. The odds of me getting hit by a capable hacker are minuscle compared to the zillions of script kiddies out there who are trying to be 1337.

I totally agree on a separate firewall box being the best solution but it is not something all people can afford or bother to get and it is always useful to have a second line of defense. Besides, it is a pain in the *** to configure outbound port blocking on a separate box instead of the normal application security on software firewall.

Any real "expert" WILL recommend the use of software firewall IN ADDITION to the use of a hardware firewall such as a router or a computer set up to act as such. Thinking that a hardware firewall is better or worse than software is a *****, simply because the two work in conjunction with eachother, not as alternatives to eachother.

NOTE: People, please stop using the term hacker to refer to crackers
A hacker is a computer enthusiest, a cracker is a malicious user who wreaks havok and breeches security for fun, the script kiddie being the most common species of the cracker family.
the news media have twisted and confused these terms long enough, its time we put an end to this senseless slander.

A healthy combination:
- Hardware Router/Firewall
- Software firewall (I use Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro V2)
- software AV.
The free AVG is very good but not very configurable. I'm currently using up my subscription of Norton AV-2002, but when that is over, I'll kiss Norton goodbye forever.
I'll probably switch to McAfee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back