Do LCD monitors last as long or better than a CRT monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin1978

Do LCD monitors last as long or longer than a CRT monitor? I have a monitor that's almost 4 years old and not a day that goes by when it's not used. The picture quality is has gotten a bit blurry and not as bright as my other monitor. I'm guessing this is because the phosphors are wearing out. Since LCDs don't use phosphors, I would guess they can last forever.

I wish I had the money to get a flat panel monitor; I'm afraid my CRT monitor could be emitting harmful radiations and I won't know about it until it's too late.

i guess no one knows...LCD monitor are only out on mass market for a year or two, while people are using CRTs from day one.

but i really feel CRTs last longer.

just got informed.

LCDs might have black dots (non-working LCD dots) as time goes.
that means you will see some dots without color somewhere on your screen.

Well, my thought would be that LCD's would last a longer because there is no tube burning. Sure pixel's can go out on an LCD monitor but its better than a tube going out. You can still use an LCD monitor even it has 50 pixels out. If the tube goes out on a CRT its all done..

Nope, the black dot syndrome (dead pixals) will make it unusable much sooner than a similar quality (but still much cheaper) CRT.
The big advanages are smaller footprint, less heat, less electricity,.
Oh, and coolness:cool:

I agree with T-Shirt...

But, to sum it all up, which is better?

CRT or LCD?

(I would really like to know before I get another monitor... Is it also based on personal preference?)

:confused:

Originally posted by T-Shirt
Nope, the black dot syndrome (dead pixals) will make it unusable much sooner than a similar quality (but still much cheaper) CRT.
The big advanages are smaller footprint, less heat, less electricity,.
Oh, and coolness:cool:

I dont know what this Black Dot syndrome is all about but Ive been selling LCD's for almost 3 years and I have never heard of one going bad over time. This goes for the 20 display model monitors that are on 13 hours a day everyday. Some of them are over 3 years old and they still look perfect.

Meanwhile, I or probably see 1 or 2 CRTs per month go bad..

Well, wait until one developes a (or 5 or 6 bad pixel) and then go through the warranty BS ("you have to have 9 or more in this pttern, we don't believe 6 in the center of the screen is a problem")
Then you will Know!
that being said quality is much better than it used to be, and Yes, theroreticly (if not abused) the electronics (transistors, LCD's, etc. SHOULD last much longer than CRT's.

Originally posted by T-Shirt
Well, wait until one developes a (or 5 or 6 bad pixel) and then go through the warranty BS ("you have to have 9 or more in this pttern, we don't believe 6 in the center of the screen is a problem")
Then you will Know!
that being said quality is much better than it used to be, and Yes, theroreticly (if not abused) the electronics (transistors, LCD's, etc. SHOULD last much longer than CRT's.

Oh yeah, I know the whole deal with the replacement policy. I sell them so I need to disclose the replacement policy.

Originally posted by XYZ359
I agree with T-Shirt...

But, to sum it all up, which is better?

CRT or LCD?

(I would really like to know before I get another monitor... Is it also based on personal preference?)

:confused:

Well LCD has come a long way but still has a long way to go. LCD's are great for most things except playing games. An LCD monitor cannot refresh fast enough at high frame rates. If you have a GF 4 and are a hardcore gamer, you want CRT. Personnally, I will stick with my CRT for a long time to come !

Originally posted by boeingfixer

Well LCD has come a long way but still has a long way to go. LCD's are great for most things except playing games. An LCD monitor cannot refresh fast enough at high frame rates. If you have a GF 4 and are a hardcore gamer, you want CRT. Personnally, I will stick with my CRT for a long time to come !

agree.
LCD has it's advantages, but not for gamers.

Originally posted by Arris
Source: http://www.cebit.de/21508

ISO standard for Flat Panels
Consumers who want to buy a flat panel according to ISO 13406-2 shall for the first time be enabled to rely on assured characteristics like pixel failure class and viewing angle class. The new norm includes high technical specifications.

The specifications and the resulting technical data shall be much more reliable than the details presently given by manufacturers. An example is contrast details for lighted working conditions instead of contrast details for dark room conditions as hitherto given by manufacturers.

TFT screen have come a long way. Laptops from dell now have the option to have an Enhanced UXGA screen which provides -higher brightness & contrast ratio, wider viewing angles than normal TFT displays with faster response time.
But I recently upgraded my monitor and I opted for a 19" CRT. Its still the best option for gamers at present ;)

CRT or LCD?

Having a 19" monitor at home and having the experience of moving it around a few times, get the LCD. It's portable, saves you tonnes of space and right now, it's surprisingly quite affordable; unless you're aiming for a 19" :D

I was skeptical last time becoz they said that the LCDs weren't that suitable for gaming, especially FPS. But I was wrong when I saw a shop owner playing FIFA on it. It was clear enough for me. I'm sure it'll be quite ok even while playing a FPS game.

However, having seen 4 LCDs next to a normal 17" CRT monitor, the LCDs still lack the sharpness CRT monitors have. Either that or it's the LCDs calibration/settings.

Anyway, if it helps, Toms Hardware has reviewed a couple (14) LCD monitors. It's well worth the read. The article even tells you what to look for when choosing an LCD.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/display/02q1/020114/index.html

Well I just returned a Philips 105s 15" TFT Monitor because of one dead pixel. Philips wanted at least 6 dead pixels before I could get a replacement.

Hopefully the 15" TFT monitor I buy won't have a dead pixel. Any suggestions?

ss1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back