No more infections, but symptoms remain

Status
Not open for further replies.

detoam

Hi.
I have followed all the instructions given here. The exception been that I could not install firewall or update java to the most current version.
I have written here about the installation problems here.
I am attaching the log files from the scans.
As I mentioned the symptoms remain. I can't install program.
I am at a loss. I don't know where to look anymore or what else to do. I don't want to resort to using reformat as I am not sure that back-ups are safe and I can't delete years of work and family pics.

Hi,

Could you fix this entry in HJT?
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

Apart from that, your logs seem to be fine. There's a possibility that the malware is rather tricky and staying hidden. For that, please download ComboFix from HERE and run it (ensure your SpyBot teatimer function is temporarily disabled first before running)

Post the log C:\Combofix.txt when you are done in your reply.

Sad to say, but I finally gave up. Things were deteriorating very quickly. I am guessing that virus or spyware damaged system files very badly. I was able to restore some functionality by using vista manager, but I think it was too late. So I was forced to reinstall. But I did not to reformat. I needed the files that were on the system. So as soon as the install was completed I installed zonealarm and bitdefender anti-virus and also run the VundoFix (by Norton). Caught two Vundo infected files. So far everything is running okay, but due to rigorous scans the system is very slow for now.

Vundo is a nasty one. Even if you can successfully remove it, chances are that the ports it opens up will remain open, leaving you vulnerable to more attacks.

Check this out by going to start----> Run---> type cmd---> at command prompt, type netstat

and it will show all your open connections. From there you can determine which ports should be closed and possibly speed up your system (after you remove vundo of course)

It sounds like one strategy you still need address: System backups!! so you can recover complete disk images of old backups or select to recover files/folders of your choice. My own personal recommendation is Acronis True Image

I have that And I have done that before. With XP. I do backups regularly. Usually try to do them to a DVD. This time I made a mistake of doing a major back up to a spare hard drive. It also got infected before I realised that the whole system was infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back