iMac built-in camera problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

onmyown

I own an Imac 24" (the white one). The built-in camera stopped working an error warnind appears as if the driver had problems.

Does anyone else has had the same problem? How can i fix it?

It's something about Photo Booth cannot turn on the camera device, it is either disconnected or being used by another application.

But there is no way to restore the camera, and other applications that use isight give the same error.

If you did the stuff in the Apple support link, then something is broke hardware wise.

SO? What did you do to fix it then?

yeah, i'm having the same problem :(

Been there, done that.

how did you fix it? and who knows how to take care of this problem if you're running on snow leopard?

I own an Imac 24" (the white one). The built-in camera stopped working an error warnind appears as if the driver had problems.

Does anyone else has had the same problem? How can i fix it?

i got mine to work. don't reboot, it doesn't do anything. shut down, unplug your computer, and every usb device...thing. wait 15-20 seconds, then plug back in. after that, get everything else plugged back in. i hope it works for you, it was directions for general intel-based imacs, doesn't seem to matter the operating system. i really hope it works for you though. this problem is frustrating. :mad:

i got mine to work. don't reboot, it doesn't do anything. shut down, unplug your computer, and every usb device...thing. wait 15-20 seconds, then plug back in

If that actually works, everyone else may want to try resetting the NVRAM and the resetting SMC.

I believe that the kbase article from apples support page that was linked is what onmyown meant when they said Been there done that. Meaning that if they have already tried that kbase they would have already tried resetting PRam and SMU. If its happening in all other programs that would use the isight. You could try a few things which you might have already tried.
1. Try a new user.. I know this seems like something that just wastes your time. BUT, if the isight works in a new user it limits what could be wrong with your system.
If the isight works in a new user then it is obviously not a problem with hardware.
In that case, you would wanna try removing your start-up items. (System Pref.s Users, Select your user name, hit login items on the top and uncheck them all) If that works you need to narrow down which login item caused it. Check them a couple at a time, trial and error to see which one it is and remove it from the list. If this is not the case then you may want to move into the preferences folders and try pulling .plists for either the isight and or the programs that use it.(careful this could cause issues with iphoto/imovie that it won't be able to find your library anymore)

If you have the same problem in your new user it is either your hardware or the OS.. Try the isight on someone elses computer and that will narrow down that option.

That should pretty much narrow down any troubleshooting steps you could take for the isight.. Take it into a store and have them work it if you can't find a friend that you can connect yours to.

Let me know how it goes and Good Luck.

isight camera diagnostic

Hi

As a trained Apple Technician the first thing should be is find out if the isight module faulty. Go to the Apple icon, top left and click about this mac and then more info.

The isight camera runs from the USB serial bus. So on the tree view on the left of the new screen click USB, which should be the last on the hardware tree branches.

You should then be able to see isight then in the USB device tree view. Check if it's there. If it is then 9 times out of 10 there is a software issue or the usb connection plug is simply loose.

Failing that a replacement isight camera is relatively cheap for an integrated imac. I produced a take apart guide for the polycarbonate imacs and put it on youtube. The module is extremely easy to replace.

Visit burtonbytes website...google it and the click the blogs section. Sadly as newbie i cannot post links yet.

Any problems let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back