No system restore available

Status
Not open for further replies.

konko

I have no system restore available, i can locate and check to have it turned on, do all and when log on again....no system restore available at all...what can I do to have system restore available...BTW, I went to Microsoft help pages and went over all their instructions and no luck...I know that outside geeks are more versatile than microsoft technicians..

Any help will be more than welcome...
Tks.

Using an Administrator privileged account (Confirm yours is by Start->Run->Control Userpasswords)

Clear system restore points

• Clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
    • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
    • Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
    • Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
    • Select the More options tab
    • Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.
    This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

Tks 4 the advise..I followed your instructions..but when reached the system restore it says is turned off, asks if i want to turn it on and I proceed with steps, when pressing apply after unchecking the turn off system restore box, I get the following message;

"syst restore encountered an error trying to enable/disable one or more drives. Pls restart your machine and try again"

I tried about 10 times with no luck, apparently i have no system restore available, any hints how I can solve the riddle.

Tks

It says that it is in automatic, but when i try to run from the property box, it says that some functions are stopped.....I will go an run a full malware scan with comodo and some of the ones listed I still dont have.

Tks, I will report back asap the results on scans

I ran all available malware programs, started with malwarebites, ended with Spybot, and all came out with no infections found...Even ran a program to repair registry and add a command to start Syst restore and no luck......wonder where the gremlins are hiding...lol//

tks

Go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste control sysdm.cpl,,4 and then press Enter
* Tick on the checkbox - Turn off System Restore on all drives
* Click Apply
Turn it back 'On' by unticking the same checkbox & click Apply, and then OK

Then go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Did System Restore start? Or was there an error message?

Go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste eventvwr.msc /s
Click the System category.
Click the Source tab to sort by name, and then look for "sr" or "srservice." Double-click each of these services, and check if there is any cause listed

Restart your computer into Safe Mode (press F8 before Windows starts loading)
After Windows starts, open Windows Explorer.
Start->Run-> %systemroot%\inf folder (e.g., C:\windows\inf)
Locate sr.inf
Right click on sr.inf and select Install (Note you may need your Windows CD)
Restart back to Normal mode

Then go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Hi konko,

One thing I'd like to check, how much free space is there on your hard drive?

Cheers,

Taff.

I have about 90% free space out of my 750 g hard drive

I will run the repair procedure as soon I sort out which is the correct version of my WXP...wife, grand daughter and my own disks are in same box...lol..so i will have 2 wait till wife gets back to know which is mine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back