Slow xp logon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have been referring to this forum for ages, but never had the need to post until now! I have a hugely annoying problem with my work laptop that I can't stand anymore!

I have a month old Sony Vaio that is great apart from when it comes to logging onto my network profile. It was fine for the first two weeks and then suddenly the following started to occur. When I enter my username and password and select 'OK' to log on, it greys out all of the boxes and then sits there with the 'Log On to Windows' box for between 4-5 minutes and then logs on properly.

This doesn't happen when I log onto local accounts, but logging off of local accounts is much slower than usual. Also we use the notebooks both on and off the network, always with the same result on my machine, but no other machines seem to be affected.

In the Application Log of Event Viewer there are recurring errors. For each logon (on the network) there is one occurence of:

Source: AutoEnrollment
EventID:15
Description: Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Enrollment will not be performed.

For each logon (on and off the network) there are two occurences of:

Source: Usernev
EventID:1054
Description: Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

I have tried all the slow logon fixes I can find, though most refer to machines hanging on the Loading personal settings box, with no luck or improvements at all.

Any help would be very gratefully recieved, i'm stumped :confused:

Sorry I forgot to mention that after the long logon if you just log out without shutting the notebook down and log onto a network account, it is just as fast as it ever was, near instantaneous.

Try this...

I too had beaten my head against the wall with this XP slow logon issue. I tried all of the fixes I could find online....from the asynchronous loading of networking fixes ( http://www.tweakxp.com/article139785.aspx ) to all of the DNS forwarding tricks I could find (http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=4017 ). I was CONVINCED that it was a DNS issue, but I think most LAN IT techs get a little weak when it comes to DNS (I know I do). Anyway, I'd be curious to know what your server's fully qualified domain name is. Here is what I've found. server.companyname.com is what my server names were. Without DNS tweaking that I haven't successfully found/done, I finally got brave and ran dcpromo to "demote" my active directory server to a stand alone server. Once this was done I ran dcpromo again to recreate the active directory server only THIS TIME NAMING IT SERVER.COMPANYNAME.LOCAL The .local part is THE difference. I don't know of any other way of renaming a Windows 2000 active directory server name. Now keep in mind that this is a drastic change and all of your users accounts/passwords etc will be lost and have to be recreated. But all of my XP machines logon on in an instant now. If there is an easier way to "fix" this I'm all ears, but I haven't found a "fix" anywhere else online. Let me know if this helps.

Kevin

I am having the same problem:

I have a Laptop running Windows XP Pro and it hangs at the Logon to
Windows screen. It loads very fast up to that point. When I enter my
username and password, it accepts it and the window grays out. It will
remain grayed out and sit there for a full 2-3 minutes until the
window disappears and it starts loading your personal settings. It
seems like authentication takes a long time. It is very fast after
that point, and loads to the desktop very quickly.

This only happens when I login to the domain after a reboot. If I am
already logged in and then log off and back in, it does not hang and
loads personal settings in 3-5 seconds. If I log in to a local
account, it only takes 3-5 seconds as well. It will hang at the login
screen whether or not my network cable is plugged in.

My first thought would be DNS, but my DNS and DHCP are set to
automatic, and I have no special WINS or DNS entries. There are no
strange events in the Event Logs, just about a 2-3 minute gap from
where the Event Log Service starts event to the No Domain Controller is
available event (which is expected since I was not connected to the
Network).

I have tried turning off and on Windows Firewall and my Anti-virus
software with no effect. I have also tried removing it from the domain
and adding it back to the domain with no effect. My host file is also
blank.

My computer name is amd64.domainname.com. We have a different Netbios domain name though.

Any ideas?

amd64.domainname.com the promblem

Windows 2000 and previous OS's used NetBios as the default communication method....XP defaults to DNS. Your domain name ending in the .com is/was the same as my domian server. After running dcpromo to first demote and then promote the domain server, my server's domain now ends in .local. This is what addressed my XP slow logons.

I don't think so.....

I don't think that is the problem, or all the other users would be complaining of the same thing....

I know what the problem is now....

But I don't know how to solve it yet.

I fixed it by disabling my wireless adapter. I had tried turning off the wireless adapter before with no luck, but disabling it in Network Connections did. It logged in with blazing speed both when I was connected to the LAN and when I was not.

That is not quite a fix, but now we are headed in the right direction.

I have been getting Event 4201 in my Event Logs:
The system detected that network adapter Broadcom...Adapter #3 - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the wireless adapter enabled, but not have this slow login issue?

Wireless...

No offense, but my post was not to address your wireless slowness issue. I do think more people need to look at their server's fully qualified domain name. Users that are having slow XP logon problems I'd be willing to bet have domain servers that end in the name ".com " instead of " .local "

wcg said:
No offense, but my post was not to address your wireless slowness issue. I do think more people need to look at their server's fully qualified domain name. Users that are having slow XP logon problems I'd be willing to bet have domain servers that end in the name ".com " instead of " .local "
Well, the original issue was slowness at the "Log on to Windows" screen on a Laptop only when logging into the domain and not on local accounts. That was exactly the problem I was having, and the first guy too. I fixed it by setting my Windows Wireless Zero Configuration Service from Manual to Automatic. Now it logs in lightning fast. Turn it back to manual and the problem is back.

Since the first guy has a Laptop too, it might be a wireless card issue as well. ;)

just found this page through a google search as i had exactly the same problem. just renaming our domain to a .local simply wasn't an option - we've over a hundred computer accounts and another hundred more user accounts.
noticing the mention of a broadcom wireless adapter i tried disabling the (broadcom!) adapter on this laptop and it started working nice and fast.

the wireless adapter was set up to obtain an IP address through DHCP. I changed this to use a static IP (this'll also stop people using the laptop on unauthorised wireless networks, mind) and re-enabled the adapter. logged out and back in at full speed. winner.

Same Issue on XP Laptop

NT Domain with XP Laptop having same issue...

Something I tested...

As the laptop is powering up I can ping the IP address ( i went static because that seems to help)

When the laptop hit the login screen I lost the IP address.

I let the computer set there for 2 minutes and the ip addess became pingable again.

When I logged in and went fast....

So what would cause the ip address to be there and then to go away...

I'm thinking the NETLOGON service is not working correctly...

Jim

Not sure about the NETLOGON service causing this to occur. Surely the TCPIP stack is separate to that particular service so should pretty much work all the time?

A lot of our speed issues have been resolved by removing Service Pack 2. I've had to do that for the time being (all laptops are patched using Software Update Services so we can hold back SP2 until this issue is resolved) and it's taken the heat off, somewhat.

here's a fix that worked for me.
(2) setups:

Netopia 3346 Router
Netgear 318 Firewall / Switch
Windows 2003 SBS

Netopia 3346 Router
Linksys Wireless Firewall / Switch
Windows 2003 SBS

On the workstations we hardcoded the DNS
Left the IP's to DHCP from the Netgear or LinkSys.
- first number pointed to the server
- second number pointed to Netgear -or- linksys.

Login times back down to 6 seconds.
Tested on two sony laptops as well.
An old P3 with a PCCard, the other a newer centrino model.

_mr

same

I am having the same problem with one of 50 laptops we have. Dell D610 laptop will work fine when connected to the net but when disconnected and you try to log on using your network account it takes about 2 minutes. All our other laptops will logon straight away regardless of whether they are connected or not.

Now, if I log off and log back in its nice n quick. If I restart the laptop then I have another 2 minute wait to logon.

Any ideas? Win 2003 domain n all that.

Forgot to mention. I also dont want to add in a static IP for DNS or anything. Must run on DHCP. It used to just fine. I have checked it for spyware/adware and viruses. its clean as far as i can tell.

It started happening when the user plugged it into a hotel connection which is why i thought spyware but that seems not to be the issue.

Still no resolution as yet, and I no longer have a laptop to test things with. However, I found that after we reinstalled Software Update Services and forgot to DISABLE the deployment of XP Service Pack 2, the laptops that received and installed the update started to go slowly. Removing the update brought them back to speed.

wcg said:

yup, ours is indeed ending in .com

i found nothing to state otherwise in the material on deploying active directory when setting up the network. removing the domain and recreating all the accounts from scratch simply isn't an option.

All our latops have service pack 2 and run fine except for this one. Could be related to it but not the cause(atleast in my case). thx anyway I will keep looking into it.

I also disabled the wireless connection and was able to login as normal. I then re-enabled the wireless connection, and within its advanced settings, set it to only use access points as opposed to access points and ad-hoc. I restarted the machine and was able to login normally.

UDP Packet Fragmentation

I ran into the same problem in a VPN situation (and now I'm having trouble with wireless logins).

This has to do with the fact that when you login into Active Directory, Kerberos communication is through UDP. UDP Kerberos packets typically exceed 1500 bytes. When they do, AND they go through a router, those packets are fragmented, or broken into different packets and they don't play well.

Luckily the routers we use are Sonicwall, and we use a VPN for our wide area network. There's a switch in the VPN settings that allows for fragmented packets, which fixes the problem.

I have not figured out how to correct this problem with our Wireless APs (Dlink) which I would imagine are fragmenting the packets. One solution I think would be to try a VPN login through the wireless connection, but I haven't tried that yet.

Anyway, Microsoft's solution is to force your workstation to always use a TCP connection for Kerberos packets. Here's the link to the Microsoft support article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=244474

I hate this solution because you have to do it on every laptop.

If anyone figures out a clean way to make AD authentication work for laptops using 802.11, please post.

I hope this helps.

XP Hangs on logon locally using cached domain account

Guys,

Im a tech at a large security company in Australia. I've been reading all of your posts and we seem to have the same problem, I myself have had the issue on my IBM Thinkpad T40 and now the issue is happening on our new Dell D610's.

The issue, just to recap is that once we logg a user onto our 2000 AD network all seems ok, then, you basicly unplug the laptop's LAN connection and try logging into it using the cached domain account, you get as far as the background loads and the mouse is available, but no icons, no start bar, nothing. I've actually left it for about 2 hours with no errors.

I then powered the laptop off and started it again not plugged into our LAN and it sometimes let's me log into the pc.

A solution that may work which I have not tested as yet, but thought I might throw up on the forum to see if any of you can try it to see if it resolves your issues. Is to: Disable the "WebClient" Service, I was told today by one of our techs that, thit, resolved a similiar issue in our Queensland operation.

This may be all we need to do, Ill get the chance to test today, and if my findings work I will post them... if not.. ill post that too.

Cheers all

Speedy71 :bounce:

XP Hangs on logon locally using cached domain account Part 2

Disable the Web Client service has resolved all XP Slow/Hanging login when not contected to a Domain.

Cheers
:angel:
Speedy

I had the same problem .
It occured because i had as primary and secondary dns server on the xp box
the dns of my ISP and not the dns server of the domain controler.

Hope that helps !

slow xp logon sloved for me

My problem was: XP Pro SP2, Active Directory server: Windows 2000.

After entering username and password, I had to wait for 3-5 minutes staring at the "applying personal preferences" message.

Our win2k server is also dhcp server.

I solved the issue following an advice found on this thread: hardcoding the dns (ip address), while letting the dhcp provide the ip address for the workstation.
The only dns server I entered is that of the AD server.

Every workstation in our domain has an entry in the AD server DNS server configuration.

Now the logon times are back to normal.

Before upgrading to win xp, the machine had win2k sp4, and I had no problem whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back