Help - I have to create my own job description and salary

I've been given the opportunity everyone wants. A director of administration has just moved over to Systems and brought telephony with him. He isn't aware of my job and would like me to create my own description and what compensation it should carry. This all started when I met with him about a raise that I felt I was deserving of because of all of the new telephony responsibilities. Here is a snapshot, it's quite a mix since we are a private college that operates fairly lean. My duties include:
-Recommendation and acquisition of new technology
-Installation, configuration, maintenance and support of 119 wireless access points.
-Printer and PC troubleshooting and repairs and installation.
-Maintaining Network connectivity in 2000 dorm rooms and all administration and staff.
-Installation, programming, support and trouble shooting of all telephones
-Working in meridian Option 61C switch to make changes, edits, program phones
-Asset Tracking
-Backups in Tivoli, A/S 400, Callpilot, Axis 1, Power Fades
-Administration and support of Voice Mail system Call Pilot.
-Facilitate occasional training for faculty and staff of College.
-Plan, Manage, Execute all wiring on campus, Cat 6, Fiber, Coax, Telephone etc.

Someone help please! I don't want to overshoot and look like a *******, but I don't want to short myself of what I deserve or could get elsewhere.

Thanks

Ryan

Re: Help! I have to create my own job description and salary

I am located in Kenosha, WI. The 4th largest city in Wisconsin. Located 30 miles south of Milwaukee and 30 miles north of Chicago.

Thanks for the quick response!

Ryan

I thought perhaps there may be others in the area that could assist with benchmarking. Rather than using the salary vault or wiz, Sorry Raybay, it's not as though you even needed to waste your 30 seconds to read the post after seeing the subject line, or your 1.4 seconds to reply. Thanks to you strategic for your willingness to help....Raybay, I'll keep my posts more tech related from now on, not looking to rub feathers of the veterans of this forum. Just looking for any assistance I can get. Sorry.

This topic is just fine, and the reason for the "The Meeting Spot - Chat & Socialize" to exist.
I hope you can find more members who can provide some insights.

@raybay, wtf?

I worked 20 years in the telecomm industry, this is no cushy job.
This kind of high-tech experience with occasional training duties and the work with Switches, maintaining Connectivity, maintenance of printers & phones, AND 2000 DORM ROOMS!!...you are talking about a TON of work and responsibility. Not to mention, you will have to probably produce systems documentation, wiring documentation, implementation documentation, and Support documentation for everything you work on...unless it is already in place (which I doubt).

I suspect you will be on-call as well. You SERIOUSLY need to talk to your boss about having a backup-person for this job. You cannot be on-call 24x7, 365 days a year. Not do-able.
Lean or not, doing your current job description would be WAY too much for 1 person, JMHO.

Ask your boss about future plans for more hires for your group in your department...when is it anticipated? If there is no new hire anytime soon, your boss will likely have to be your backup for on-call.

Yes, economy is crappy...but if you are a one-person support group - adjust your salary accordingly. If you are on-call all the time also, you will soon be worked to death.
Have you tried calling other area colleges? You may try contact with their HR department heads, to find out if they have a similar-type position, title and what salary ranges they offer, dependent on experience. They may be able to help with a job description as well.

Farewell to the land of shreiks and shrills and self congratulations... Land where people are breaking their own arms as they attempt to pat themselves on the back with both hands at the same time...
Anybody who isn't smart enough to read through a dozen job descriptions for ideas on how to write his own, doesn't deserve to have a job.

Hi rade :wave:
And welcome to TechSpot!

Please ignore raybay's love for pontification and polarized view of reality

And to raybay, my only comment re:
Why do you think this should be a TechSpot issue? Are we now in personnel and such?
The temerity and "chutzpah" of this statement coming from the same man who thought it appropriate to post a thread about his own adultery in this same forum!! What a sad and ironic LOL.

To raybay: Perhaps rade posted in the wrong forum for your tastes, but I must point out:

We were all young & foolish once, some more than others. Do not condemn those that seek knowledge, for the only stupid question is the one that it is not asked.

Hi to you!

Lissen to Redrabbit77. I'm currently working similar to what you wrote, but in a lesser scale.

I'm the only IT-administrator at work, managing 4-5 offices spread around the country. Managing about 150 ppl in every aspect of problems with IT related equipment / servers / Support (All the things you mentioned)

Redrabbit77: "You cannot be on-call 24x7, 365 days a year. Not do-able." - I though I could, but no-way. As for the documentation. If it's not there, you'll have enough job there for some years... :)

I have 2-5 days of vacation every year, cause my conscience don't let me leave. (even though my boss let's me.)

I do love this kind of work, but as others have said. Try NOT to work to death. :)

You might think - or manage to do it for some while... but for this to work in the long run, get help.

PS. Try to get overtime pay! (If I had, I would be a rich, rich man!)

Good luck to you and remember. People in this buissness is like ducks. Calm and steady on the surface, but underneath, we are always paddling like hell.... :)

cheers

Back