No Display From Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

Ok guys. Recently I've been noticing a large number of people here posting about having no output on their monitors. Most often one would presume that it has to do with the video card. So solutions like changing the output port / trying another card on the motherboard / etc. seem very probable. However, if that does not work suspicion falls on the motherboard / PSU / the monitor itself maybe. A friend even suggested that cleaning up the RAM too helps. But sometimes all logical solutions seem to fail.

For example take a look at this thread : https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133110.html

I was wondering if everyone could post their opinions on where to start looking when facing such problems with their display output. What are the steps that could maybe be followed to get to a definitive answer as to where the problem might be.

I thought that any inputs would help people out here facing such issues.

Things I would do in such a scenario:

1. Switch the monitor to a second output port if present on the graphics card and see if display is restored. If it is, the other port must be the problem.

2. If (1) fails, plug the monitor to the motherboard's VGA adapter and check. If it works, then your monitor is Ok. Graphics card might be the problem.

3. If you have determined that the card might be a problem, try out a different card. If it works the issue is resolved. If not, it may be the graphics card slot on the motherboard (PCI / PCI-E/ AGP).

4. If (2) above fails, then the issues could be varied. PSU problem / motherboard problem / RAM / the monitor itself. It must also be determined if the mobo is failing the POST. After this stage, to me, it's difficult to determine what to do. If a new monitor can be arranged and if it works, then its fine again as the problem is determined.

Hopefully you guys could come up with all the options. I don't actually know much but guess everyone could really help.

Thanks.

* Incase you're installing a video card for the first time you may need to change the Primary Display Adapter in BIOS to its required mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back