Sql server 2000 wont install....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soap

my computer is running windows xp pro sp1 this afternoon i tried to install sql server 2000 standard edition and it came up with this message....

"Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition server component is not supported on this operating system. Only client components will be available for installation."

is it possible to install the sql server stuff on xp? the system requirements do not mention xp as one of the operating but i assume thats due to the fact windows 2000 was the most recent at the time.

This is not a compatibility issue. This is MS policy to let you install the thing on server OSes only. If you look at the supported OS list you don't see any desktop OSes there.

God bless marketing.

Not on NT Workstation. Yes on NT Server.

On a desktop version OS you can only run Personal or MSDE versions of SQL Server.

Hello.

I have the some error on "Windows XP" and on "Windows Server 2003"!

mssql.jpg

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition server component is not supported on this operating system. Only client components will be available for installation.

I have Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition without SP3. I downoad SP3 but I couldent install it because it need to be after install the databse.

On the Microsoft site I found this:
In an effort to provide customers with more secure products, Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003 supports only SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or later and MSDE 2000 with SP3 or later. You can also choose to run SQL Server 2000 with SP3 on Microsoft Windows 2000 Server. SQL Server 7.0 and MSDE 1.0 will not be supported on Windows Server 2003. Customers running applications with SQL Server version 7.0 and MSDE 1.0 should consider evaluating and upgrading to SQL Server 2000 and MSDE 2000 respectively with SP3 on Windows Server 2003 to achieve a more secure operating environment.

But How I can install the database on "Windows XP" or "Windows Server 2003" without SP3 because SP3 I will install after!?!?

You need a Windows Server OS to run the Enterprise edition of SQL Server 2000. It will not install on Windows XP so forget it. If you want SQL Server to run on Windows XP then you need to get hold of the Developer or Personal editions. If you bothered to read the above posts then you would already know this.

You should be able to install the enterprise edition onto Windows 2003 as you mentioned, but it won't work correctly until you have updated it with sp3.

Ok, I will try again to install the Micorsoft SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003 when I have time.

But you read that say Microsoft:
In an effort to provide customers with more secure products, Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003 supports only SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or later and MSDE 2000 with SP3 or later.

How Can I install If It doesn't have within SP3!?!?!?!?

Install SQL Server 2000 Enterprise, then install SQL Server SP3 patch to update the database. They are not talking about Windows Server 2003 SP3 because that doesn't exist.

I run the installation on "Windows Server 2003" and It's say just this:

SQL Server 2000 SP2 and below
Microsoft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue Description:

SQL Server 2000 SP2 and below is not supported by this version of Windows.

P.S. Meybe If I install the database on "Windows Server 2003" and after install SP3, meybe It work normal.

Originally posted by faca5
P.S. Meybe If I install the database on "Windows Server 2003" and after install SP3, meybe It work normal.
Yes, that is correct.

Getting the error!

Hi, I am trying to install SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition on a Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard. I got the first warning, ignored and continue, but then get the second message that says I can only install client components.

Is there a trick around this or am I stuck and must purchase the premium edition?

Thanks.

@all who are trying to install sql server 2000 enterprise or standard to windows xp pro

I figured out where the setup routine checks for the os version.
It's stored in the setup.ins File in the setup-directory.

If you replace this file with the one from the developer edition or the evaluation version of sql server 2000 the installation should be successful.

I'll try this solution today on my pc @ home and report here if anybody wants me to.

Regards
MacGyver

Got it. After replacing the .ins File with the one provided with the developer version the setup continued with the installation.

It did not affect versioning of the SQL Server. The Infobox said, I installed the enterprise version. I don't know if this is legal (suppose it is not), but it worked 4 me.

I think it doesn't matter too much if you install it this way for testing purposes.
In real production environments you'd surely prefer to install on a server, because Windows XP is limited in RAM, Number of CPUs, does not provide clustering services and has none of the fancy server features, a good old Windows Server 2003 can provide.

where can we find this file???? i really need to install the enterprise edition on my winxp machine.... any help would be greatly appreciated...

didn't work for me

I'm a developer w/ MSDN subscription. I need to install sql server standard on a laptop, actually a tablet pc -- i'm working on queued transactional replication (for laptop synchronization).

I just can't install a server OS here loose the tablet functionality. Tablets run a special edition XP Pro.

I tried using the sql server developer edition setup.ins file, and it did'n't work for me. Are there any other files I need to swap out??

help?

Sir MacGyver,

Can u pls help me out on this; I'm installing SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Server
5.00.2195 with Service Pack 4. I encountered this error:

An error occured while creating one or more registry entries. Please see C:\WINNT\\\sqlstp.log for details. The problem could be caused by a low registry qouta condition.

tnx in advance!

Error occured while Installing SQL Server 2000

Nodsu said:
Well, how about doing what the error message said and looking in the log file?

I did look in the log file, unfortunately it does not contain any helpful details for me figure out what's causing the error. Here's the part of the log file where the error is indicated:

12:40:13 Register this installation of SQL Server with MDAC
12:40:13 Completed registering this installation of SQL Server with MDAC
12:40:29 An error occurred while creating one or more registry entries. Please see C:\WINNT\\\sqlstp.log for details. The problem could be caused by a low registry quota condition.
12:40:29 Action CleanUpInstall:
12:40:29 C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 4 -Service SQLSERVERAGENT
12:40:29 Process Exit Code: (1060) The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

12:40:29 C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 4 -Service MSSQLSERVER
12:40:29 Process Exit Code: (0)
12:40:29 StatsGenerate returned: 2
12:40:29 StatsGenerate (0x0,0x1,0xf0000000,0x400,1033,303,0x0,0x1,0,0,0
12:40:29 StatsGenerate -1,Administrator)
12:40:29 Installation Failed.

Anyone, pls. help....
TNX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back