Need to repair XP, PC is running slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuamays

i had gone through the 8 steps for virus removal and then some, but my pc is still running slow. everything from boot time, open/close programs and loading a web page is slower. pc is free of virus and malware.

this is the link to the thread that verifies virus/malware removal.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic141626.html

i have ran CHKDSK. HD is ok. Ran 4 simultaneous Memtest at 727MB each checking 550%+ of RAM. RAM is ok.

i was also told to run the xp repair tool to try to repair any corrupt files, but i cant find my disk. i did however register my software with microsoft. is there anyway that i might be able to download a repair tool to a disk or is there any other alternative to fix possible corrupt system files?

what else might cause a pc to run slow?

have you checked which processes are running in the background and is there any process which is eating lots of CPU/Memory resources?

Heres a screen shot of my Task Manager. I am running a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P with an AMD Phenom II x4 955 processor and a 8GB of Patriot Viper Series 1333 DDR3 Ram (4 x 2GB). If anything running atm is not needed plz feel free to help me identify it.

Attachments

• Task screenshot.JPG
    Task screenshot.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 7
WOT popped up as soon as i hit the link...
(Web of Trust )

I would look into borrowing an XP CD if you want to repair that installation.
NOTE: The version and service packs need to match what you have installed currently.

Can you please provide me bit more details; you can use either of these methods:

1. Scan with Trend Micro's Hijackthis and post its logs.

2. Create a detailed text format log by using tasklist utility of windows as described here:
i. Press Start, Run and enter cmd;
ii. in the Dos window type: tasklist /m /fi "memusage gt 100" /fi "cputime gt 00:00:01" /fo table >Process.txt
This will create a very detailed log of everything running in the background on your pc.

Edit:
Just for info this is a very handy site to check about various processes which may be running on a pc.

Heres the hjt log. and what directory am I going to find the log I generated in the cmd prompt?

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    7.1 KB · Views: 4
it will generate in in the same folder where your cmd prompt is opened

something like c:\users\username

Hmm is this it? I looked in the folder where the cmd prompt shortcut is. didnt see anything. too bad. I like that tasklist command. never seen it before. is there a way to designate a file path in which to generate a tasklist log?

Attachments

• Process.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 6
excellent. k that Process.txt is it then. Grats on 400+ posts :) just found out a bit ago i can get an avatar from 100 posts lol. <-- goal in life anything else i can do to troubleshoot the possibilty of a faulty win xp? seems like my pc is running even slower now

I have just quick scanned your hijack log and i found an suspicious file in your processes i.e. vegapaye.dll; this file is associated with malware like Netsky and Virtumondo.

As i am at work i will look into further details as soon as i can find a bit of free time or may be in lunch :)

However; you can get malwarebytes and scan/rid of any malicious files/malwares.

Oh thankyou i didn't even noticed.

In continuation of my earlier reply (Post # 12), I think these need to be removed from your system:

1. 022 - SharedTaskScheduler: mujuzedij - {c1596950 ......... 486b6c643924} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\sayawoha.dll <== I think its related to Virtumonde/ Virtumonde Spx as well and hides behind several running processes.

2. zafufovi.dll (Trojan.Agent/Gen), it resists interrogation by security products, and is added to boot processes of infected system.

3. jasutudo.dll is an Adware.Vundo/Variant-StatsReader.

(these shall be detected & dealt with by malwarebytes)

4. I will also advise you to turn off jqs.exe (its related to java i.e. JRE). Jqs.exe uses about 1.5 Megabytes of computer memory and 2 Megabytes of virtual memory while running. It also initiates I/O processes frequently if those columns are activated in the Task Manager. Jqs.exe is the Java Quick Starter helping to improve the startup time of Java applets and applications by prefetching Java Runtime Environment files frequently into memory. That’s mainly is useful for users who work with Java very frequently. Everyone else may be better of disabling the Java Quick Starter reducing overhead on system resources. Now, if you want to disable the Java Quick Starter process you can do that in the Windows Control Panel. You find a Java entry there which will open the Java Control Panel. A click on Advanced and the selection of Miscellaneous will display the activated Java Quick Starter entry. Uncheck the box to disable the process.

5. Lastly if you are not using google tool bar for any good reason, get rid of it, google being such an aggressive invader of privacy related issues; can't be trusted with their software I think. That is one reason why I usually avoid such kind of toolbars from any software vendor.

6. I noticed that you've patched windows to use 3rd party themes; well i do not know about any security issues with that; but I have noticed couple of times that after installing uxtheme patch the system slowed down considerably even in normal use; and if the system was restored to earlier original un-patched state, it behaved normally. However, having said that in most cases I have not seen it to affect system performance in any tangible way.

Well thats all I can think of at the moment; I hope that nothing substantive have been missed out by me and best of luck, and keep us posted.

If that doesn't improve life for you, well then re-installation is always an option, though one wouldn't like to look forward to it.

Oh well, seems easier solution as well i guess. Good to know everything is fine at your end. Now that you have done that don't forget to install Avira/Avast/AVG (choose one which you want, i listed them as i'd probably rate them), along with a firewall solution something like OutPost or Comodo will do :) Safe surfing for future.

Yeah, was first thing i did was jump on Tspot on download Avira/Commodo. As well as every other precautionary tool used in the 8step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back