Unmountable volume

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hd has two partitions, C drive for storage while D for residing xp.
Recently I cleared the unwanted files by using cleanup in xp. Meanwhile the cpu was too hot and the screen freezed. I thus did a reboot. Now when I enter xp, a blue screen appears with the message "unmountable volume".
I have consequently tried to boot my computer with xp bootdisk and enter recovery console to run chkdsk d: /r /p. But it returns "There is no disk in drive or the file system is not supported." The same happens for chkdsk c: /r.
I did also try c:\>dir, the directorys and files remain there. But for d:\ >dir it has "an error occur during directory enumeration."

Can someone help me?
Thanks

Without knowing what filesystem you use, if you use FAT I know there's quite a few really really good table repair utilities out there that might be able to help you.

Norton Disk Doctor, even the old DOS verion, did wonders for that sort of stuff, and today there are more advanced utilities. However, that being said, I really don't know of any off the top of my head. I'll hunt around the forums for where I've seen this rehashed before, and maybe a member will step forward to clue us in too.

Btw- Welcome to Techspot!

Sounds like you screwed up you Master Boot Record. Boot from the XP installation CD and then using the Recovery Console run fixmbr, this will rewrite your MBR.

Here's an overview and link:

FixmbrRepairs the master boot record of the boot disk. The fixmbr command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console

fixmbr [device_name]

Parameter

device_name

The device (drive) on which you want to write a new master boot record. The name can be obtained from the output of the map command. An example of a device name is:

\Device\HardDisk0.

Example

The following example writes a new master boot record to the device specified:

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

Note

If you do not specify a device_name, a new master boot record will be written to the boot device, which is the drive on which your primary system is loaded.
If an invalid or nonstandard partition table signature is detected, you will be prompted whether you want to continue. If you are not having problems accessing your drives, you should not continue. Writing a new master boot record to your system partition could damage your partition tables and cause your partitions to become inaccessible.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

The C drive is fat32 and D drive ntfs
Btw, I read from somewhere that running fixmbr is risky, particularly when there are two partitions. But is that true?

Running any program that plays with your MBR or FAT can be risky.

However, given the situation, I daresay you have nothing to lose, in a quite literal sense.

I'm still looking for that old thread on FAT repair utilities. It might contain hints on NTFS.

I should note that FixMBR may try to load the C drive as being the OS containing drive.. This is one of the reasons why it's highly recommended the first partition contain the OS (for windows).

Also, I'm not sure if the recovery console can read NTFS.. most boot disks in the days haven't been able to without a third party program.

Yup. The above is corrent.

If all else fails, a wonderful little utility exists called Active@Partition Recovery. Works about 90% of the time in situations like these. There is a free version which will allow you to see your data.

You'll have to dig into your pockets about $30 deep to get the full version though (if it works for you).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back