Inactive Internet Explorer cannot connect but Firefox can. Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanman1197

Certain applications that use the same ports I guess; or something of that sort, as Internet Explorer cannot connect. Some of my internet applications work, some don't. For instance, World of warcraft cannot connect, and it uses the same ports as internet explorer. I can use firefox and a lot of other applications but when I try to use internet explorer (Which I never do, I just want to play WoW) It comes up with : "Cannot find Make sure the path or internet address is correct", It won't load any page you try to connect to, giving you the same error message every time. The same thing happens when I try to launch WoW. It says the same message except with the launcher page link as the one that it can't connect to. I type it into my firefox browser and it worked fine, so that shows that my router is not blocking their servers. This is very annoying and I would love to get it fixed. Thanks!

In progress...

I'm doing this as we speak. If you have the time please keep following this thread because I would like this problem resolved as soon as possible.

I'll be getting email notifications about your reply, but you have to remember, that I'm just a volunteer and I work and sleep too :)

Okay good haha Malwarebytes has been running for 26 minutes and it has found 1 infection so far. And Gmer is running as well as D.D.S.

You shouldn't be running all those programs at the same time.
Especially GMER. it may stall, or BSOD on you.

Ugh ****. Gmer stalled out. Like you said, and mwb isn't responding. It found a broken.opencommand in the registry. The key is HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\(default) I'm on my motorola droid right now because it won't let me open firefox either.

Okay MWB finished and I deleted that thing it found with the registry, but it doesn't have a log file. Doing Gmer next.

I just got a blue screen saying : PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGE AREA with underscores between them. I think it has something to do with my memory. What's going on? I was only running a gmer scan at the time of the bsod.

Regarding Malwarebytes:
The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Regarding GMER...
IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.
If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.
If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

Allright man my computer keeps freezing and freezing and freezing. I think its fubar. Its been in the shop 3 times since I got it in 2007 to replace the harddrive and motherboard. I think its a lemon. I've been getting blue screens on and off with data inpage errors and stuff for a while. But this still doesn't have anything to do with the current problem, but I thought you should know. I can't afford a new computer right now so I'm trying to fix it.

OK. I'm getting ready for bed, but if you're still up....
Forget GMER for now.
Post Malwarebytes log, if you can find it and DDS logs.

When done....

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  1. Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  2. Close any open browsers.
  3. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
    NOTE1. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    NOTE 2. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always do so.
    • Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
  4. Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  5. When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  6. Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt"
**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Make sure, you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix.

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

I'll check on you tomorrow :)

I looked at the filepath for the MWB log and there was nothing to be found. I have attached the log for combofix :

Attachments

• log.txt
    18.5 KB · Views: 1
I'm starting to doubt, we're dealing here with malware issues. So far, I don't see anything malicious.

Uninstall Combofix:
Go Start > Run [Vista users, go Start>"Start search"]
Type in:
Combofix /Uninstall
Note the space between the "Combofix" and the "/Uninstall"
Click OK (Vista users - press Enter).
Restart computer.

===================================================================

Download OTL to your Desktop.

* Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
* Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

netsvcs
drivers32 /all
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\Spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.dll
%systemroot%\system32\*.wt
%systemroot%\system32\*.ruy
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.com
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.dll
%systemroot%\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.tmp
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
/md5start
/md5stop
CREATERESTOREPOINT
%systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
%systemroot%\system32\user32.dll /md5
%systemroot%\system32\ws2_32.dll /md5
%systemroot%\system32\ws2help.dll /md5
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /rs

* Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows: OTL.txt and Extras.txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them back here.

Okay I'm gonna do it in a sec. To be honest, I was pretty sure it wasn't malware from the beginning. But this completely eliminates it at least.

Even the first one was too long so I attached them both:

Attachments

• OTL.Txt
    104.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Extras.Txt
    68.6 KB · Views: 1
Update your Java version here: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
Uninstall all previous Java versions, through Add\Remove (Programs & Features in Vista/7).

==============================================================

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code:
    :OTL
    DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\nwlnkfwd.sys -- (NwlnkFwd)
    DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\nwlnkflt.sys -- (NwlnkFlt)
    DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\ipinip.sys -- (IpInIp)
    DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\Windows\System32\drivers\EagleNT.sys -- (EagleNT)
    DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\Users\Chandler\AppData\Local\Temp\catchme.sys -- (catchme)
    DRV - File not found [Kernel | Disabled | Stopped] -- C:\Windows\System32\drivers\blbdrive.sys -- (blbdrive)
    O9 - Extra Button: HP Smart Select - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - Reg Error: Key error. File not found
    O28 - HKLM ShellExecuteHooks: {AEB6717E-7E19-11d0-97EE-00C04FD91972} - Reg Error: Key error. File not found
    @Alternate Data Stream - 64 bytes -> C:\Users\Chandler\Desktop\WebCam_20100222_2133.mpg:TOC.WMV
    @Alternate Data Stream - 64 bytes -> C:\Users\Chandler\Desktop\WebCam_20090721_1559(1).mpg:TOC.WMV
    @Alternate Data Stream - 64 bytes -> C:\Users\Chandler\Desktop\WebCam_20090719_2346.mpg:TOC.WMV

:Services

:Reg

:Files

:Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [emptyflash]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • You will get a log that shows the results of the fix. Please post it.
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

Okay, I uninstalled it and check it, said I don't have the updated versrion. So I downloaded and installed the newest one, and then I checked it again and it still says I don't have the right one. I went into the program files again and it's different, and it's version 6 which matches the newest version on the site. I don't see how this makes any sense? And I'm about to start the otl scan again.

Here is what it came up with :

All processes killed
========== OTL ==========
Service NwlnkFwd stopped successfully!
Service NwlnkFwd deleted successfully!
File C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\nwlnkfwd.sys not found.
Service NwlnkFlt stopped successfully!
Service NwlnkFlt deleted successfully!
File C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\nwlnkflt.sys not found.
Service IpInIp stopped successfully!
Service IpInIp deleted successfully!
File C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\ipinip.sys not found.
Service EagleNT stopped successfully!
Service EagleNT deleted successfully!
File C:\Windows\System32\drivers\EagleNT.sys not found.
Service catchme stopped successfully!
Service catchme deleted successfully!
File C:\Users\Chandler\AppData\Local\Temp\catchme.sys not found.
Service blbdrive stopped successfully!
Service blbdrive deleted successfully!
File C:\Windows\System32\drivers\blbdrive.sys not found.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522}\ deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522}\ not found.
Registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\\{AEB6717E-7E19-11d0-97EE-00C04FD91972} deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{AEB6717E-7E19-11d0-97EE-00C04FD91972}\ not found.
ADS C:\Users\Chandler\Desktop\WebCam_20100222_2133.mpg:TOC.WMV deleted successfully.
ADS C:\Users\Chandler\Desktop\WebCam_20090721_1559(1).mpg:TOC.WMV deleted successfully.
ADS C:\Users\Chandler\Desktop\WebCam_20090719_2346.mpg:TOC.WMV deleted successfully.
========== SERVICES/DRIVERS ==========
========== REGISTRY ==========
========== FILES ==========
========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: All Users

User: Chandler
->Temp folder emptied: 482498 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 107928 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 14150795 bytes
->FireFox cache emptied: 40580191 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 2787 bytes

User: Default
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 67 bytes

User: Default User
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes

User: Guest
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 78991 bytes
->FireFox cache emptied: 88781404 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 2458 bytes

User: Public

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 72098 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 3728284 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 141.00 mb

[EMPTYFLASH]

User: All Users

User: Chandler
->Flash cache emptied: 0 bytes

User: Default

User: Default User

User: Guest
->Flash cache emptied: 0 bytes

User: Public

Total Flash Files Cleaned = 0.00 mb