I just got Grand Theft Auto III...

Status
Not open for further replies.

svtcobra

Let me start by saying that this game is very demanding on system specs. I have a pretty strong system and the game runs "OK" on it. I am really itching for the May 27th price drop now because I am going to need to go with atleast a 2 ghz.

I havent played for more than 10 minutes and I am already hooked into it. The game is great. I have never played it before on the PS2 so this is my first chance to experience all the hype. Ill post back with some further thoughts a bit later.

My PS2 ran it fine :rolleyes: ;)
It is a real fun game, especially the unique jumps/stunts that you have to complete. It may be ultra violent and address a lot of adult issues (which aren't suitable for all audiences) but its hell of a lot of fun to play.

I havent seen any multiplayer options yet but I also havent played it alot..

Arris, I hope the PS2 played it good. Thats what it was originally developed for.

Originally posted by svtcobra
I havent seen any multiplayer options yet but I also havent played it alot..

Arris, I hope the PS2 played it good. Thats what it was originally developed for.

I read somewhere that the multiplayer was being cut out of the PC version...

svt, the PS2 was developed for more than to play GTA3 good :rolleyes: ;)
I'm actually looking forward to seeing the PC version firsthand to be able to make a comparison between the two.

How much did you buy it for? Where did you buy it? I thought it wasn't coming out until the 25th?! That's awesome that you like it, i really liked the PS2 version but since i dindt have a ps2 i am eagerly waiting the PC version. Awesome svt!

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
How much did you buy it for? Where did you buy it? I thought it wasn't coming out until the 25th?! That's awesome that you like it, i really liked the PS2 version but since i dindt have a ps2 i am eagerly waiting the PC version. Awesome svt!

Exactly what I want to know as well ;) I thought it was supposed to come out on May 31st?

Gahh... I guess I REALLY need that GF4 4200 now :(

lokem and phatman, the game was released on the 21st and showed up at my local EB yesterday. I paid the standard 49.99. They had a ton of them..

Lokem, it is definately time for a new vid card with this game. Go for the 4400...

Originally posted by Arris
svt, the PS2 was developed for more than to play GTA3 good :rolleyes: ;)
I'm actually looking forward to seeing the PC version firsthand to be able to make a comparison between the two.
I'm not one to argue this much, but I do like to take the side of a minority when I see fit.
Here is a classic example of how consoles serve thier purpose. They are exclusive gaming machines, when you try to make these games run on a PC it requires insane hardware to do so. I've seen something like "to emulate you need at least twice the processor speed", gta3 originally developed for PS2 - of course its going to run the best its ever going to run on that. You will never expierence lag on a system its designed to run on, otherwise the would have designed it differently.

Since the PS2 has a CPU clock of about 300Mhz it shouldn't require all that powerful a CPU in a PC to run a PS2 game by your statement. Saying that my original comment was made sarcastically which you didn't seem to pick up on ;)
What you have to consider is that the PS2 outputs a signal at a resolution for televisions (640x480 or something low like that). The PC is going to offer resolutions up to 1600x1200 or above which are naturally going to require more processing power (both CPU and GPU) with more pixels to process...
If I purchased GTA3 for the PC and ran it in 640x480 I am sure it could compete with the performance of the PS2 ;) (PS: I just like arguing and hassling you SNGX :D )

sorry Arris, but i agree with SNGX1275.

i have the GTA3 PC version, it runs slow like hell
i know my 2 x 550 is a bit slow for that,
but my radeon8500 should have enough power to run it smoothly
i still get low frame rate at 800x600, no fsaa, closest view distance.

I have gotten the game to run pretty good at 1024x768, quincunx AA and medium draw distance. There is also a Frame Limiter option that I believe I turned on. IT may be time for me to create a mini tweak guide.

Alright, heres my setup of the game...

brightness: 8
draw distance: 7
Frame Sync: OFF
Frame Limiter: ON
Trails: OFF
Subtitles: ON
Wide Screen: OFF
Screen Resolution: 1280x1024x32

I also set my AA to Quincunx and it looks pretty smooth..

I'll post back some feedback on these settings..

Not bad so far..I only encountered one or two stutters while driving around the city. My biggest issue is actually the sound. It comes in and out. Very annoying. There are a few different sound drivers to use so I will have to play around with this next.

I just got the game today.....

specs:

1)Athlon C 1.33 GHz
2)400 W Macron AMD Approved PSU
3)IWILL KA-266R Motherboard
4)512 MB PC2100 DDR-SDRAM
5)4 x MAXTOR 40 GB HDD
6)1 x IBM Deskstar IDE 76 GB Hard Drive 75GXP 7200 RPM
7)1 x PIONEER SCSI DVD-DRIVE
8)1 x PLEXTOR SCSI 12/10/32 CD-RW DRIVE
9)1 x PLEXTOR UltraPLEX SCSI 40 MAX CD-ROM DRIVE
10)Geforce 2 ULTRA DDR-SDRAM 64 MB Graphics card
11)Sigma Designs Hollywood Plus Mpeg-2 Decoder Board
12)SoundBlaster Platinum 5.1 sound card
13)SMC Network Card (connects to 512kbps Cable Modem connection)
14)3Com Network Card (machine acts as NAT server)
14)Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI Controller
15)Sound card connected to yamaha AV RX-V396RDS hi-fi amplifier, 5 speakers...
16)IIyama 22' Visionmaster Pro 510 AG201 Monitor
17)Remote keyboard, mouse, etc... Headphones, mic, blah blah...

Installed operating systems:

1)Windows 98 SE
2)Windows .Net Enterprise Server
3)Windows XP Professional
4)Redhat Linux 7.3
5)Mandrake Linux 8.2

I shall try it this weekend!

I found that with 4* antianilising it was slighlty stuttery though with out FSAA it runs fine at 1024. Sounds perfect easpically the little things like the rain hitting the cars. THE PUDDLES ARE VERY GOOD graphics wise though i should increase draw distance becuase it's default at the mo.

I have got just finished Turismo mission tho i was 2 busy trying not to crash so what was the prize ?

Originally posted by SleeperDC
i have the GTA3 PC version, it runs slow like hell
i know my 2 x 550 is a bit slow for that
It's the same as you had 1 CPU. Today's games aren't that multithreaded.
Ok, you can say Quake3 engine is but it helps only with its networking.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

It's the same as you had 1 CPU. Today's games aren't that multithreaded.
Ok, you can say Quake3 engine is but it helps only with its networking.

yea, i know...
but i just don't have money to upgrade.

i am just a poor kid :D

Originally posted by Tweakster
I found that with 4* antianilising it was slighlty stuttery though with out FSAA it runs fine at 1024. Sounds perfect easpically the little things like the rain hitting the cars. THE PUDDLES ARE VERY GOOD graphics wise though i should increase draw distance becuase it's default at the mo.

I have got just finished Turismo mission tho i was 2 busy trying not to crash so what was the prize ?

Tweakster, what sound driver are you using? I have a SB LIVE! card and the sound comes in and out. Its never steady.

Its really time for me to upgrade.

Phantasm, Im anticipating your results with the game because we both have similar systems except for the vid card.

Yo guys, i just got GTA3 also...it runs weirdly...it will play the game fine without anything wrong for a bit and then for like 20 seconds it will run really slowly...Hopefully something will happen where we dont have to put up with the buggyness.

I have found a bug which occurs when i save over an old save the save saves successfully though the windows mouse icon appears. I have tried minimising, menu screen and returing to game but it stays though it dosnt appear when i Quit and reload so not to worry.

Soundblaster Live WDM 8/1/2000 and playback quality is GOOD not BEST all all setting with FULL hardware accleration dont know if this might help?

I got GTA 3 on Saturday too, what a game!! - although not many differtences to the PS2 version. This game is resource intensive - I've got a 1.4 athlon with a GF2 GTS and 256Meg SDRam and runs fine on 800x600x32 but is a bit of a dog at higher resolutions.

In response to those using SBLive! soundcards - I have one too and have not suffered at all with the sound - just make sure you select the correct hardware in the Sound Options screen.

There have been reported bugs for anyone running XP - such as menus disappearing amongst other anomalies, there is a patch for this availablehere from knowledge base. There is also a tweak guide available here from seagrave.org, although I'm sure it will never be as good as anything TS will publish.

Cant wait to finish work to get back onto staunton island.....

I was just about to complain about the speed. I have the same machine as you, except a different vid card (GF2MX). I'm running at a pathetic 640x480x16.

I really wish they can do something about the performance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back