Apple iOS 5 now available, brings over 200 new features

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Apple has released its fifth-generation mobile operating system today, bringing more than 200 new features to the third and fourth-gen iPod touches, the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, as well as the iPad and iPad 2. The overhaul is readily available in a 781MB download through iTunes (you'll need iTunes 10.5). We won't cover the full gamut in this post, but there are at least a dozen major changes worth highlighting:

Enhanced Wireless
Apple has effectively severed the ties between your mobile device and PC. Instead of connecting your iPhone to a computer for activation, iOS updates, backups and more, you can perform these tasks wirelessly. In that same vein, the update introduces the ability to wirelessly sync iOS 5 devices with your primary machine. You can also now use AirPlay over Apple TV to stream content from your mobile device to an HDTV.

iMessage
Apple has developed its own messaging platform that allows iOS 5 users to send and receive content over Wi-Fi or 3G without paying for carrier texting services. iMessage has been added to the existing Messages app and supports text, pictures, videos, locations and contacts, as well as group messaging, the ability to track messages with delivery and read receipts, encryption, and the ability to see when someone is typing.

Notification Center
The notification system has been polished so alerts such as new email or texts are less annoying and easier to access. Rather than interrupt your session with a popup prompt, you're informed with a banner alert that disappears quickly. Notifications have also been centralized. They're displayed in a single location that you can access by swiping down from the top of any screen along with easy access from the Lock screen.

Camera, Photos, Twitter
The Camera is now more accessible with a shortcut on the Lock screen and easier to use courtesy of grid lines, pinch-to-zoom gestures, single-tap focus, exposure locks and the ability to take photos with the volume-up hardware button. You can tweak shots with the Photos app's new image editing features including crop, rotate, enhance and red-eye removal. It's also tied in with iCloud and the new Twitter app for quick sharing.

Newsstand, Safari
Along with centralized notifications, iOS 5 offers an app that organizes your magazine and newspaper app subscriptions. Besides letting you access your favorite publications in one location, Newsstand automatically updates new issues in the background. Safari also aims to improve your reading experience as it gains features to display Web articles without ads or clutter as well as a reading list to save interesting articles.

Reminders, Calendar, Mail
iOS 5 adds new to-do functionality via the Reminders app which, among other features, supports location-based alerts. The Mail app has received text formatting options, the ability to flag important messages, add and delete folders, and search a message's body. The Calendar app now lets you add, rename and delete calendars from your device, view attachments from inside the app, share schedules via iCloud and more.

Permalink to story.

It is a great update, but before installing it i had my problems, and my friend too.

I was getting error 3200 and my buddy was getting 3192 and i fixed mine, and installed iOS 5 but mu buddy cannot fix his. :(

It sure is nice to see them blatantly copying Android with the Notification Centre.

All the other major features outlined above are pretty much just catch-ups to Android as well.
Kinda disappointing to not see any new and interesting features besides Siri (iPhone 4S only).

Any mention of Siri support for the iPad 2? it has the same A5 SOC as 4S after all.

Siri can run on any of the iphones, ipads, or ipod touches (well, not the ipods without video recording support). Its just a matter of marketing. Apple won't put the new featres into the old OS because they want you to buy a new device. I'm willing to be that they will launch and ipad 2s or ipad 3 by q2 next year in time for easter with siri for ipad.

Almost all of these features have been available on Android or Cydia for some time now.

When is Apple going to release something like biteSMS?

Well Siri is still a beta, maybe that's why it's 4S only to keep the load down on the service, since it is mostly server-side processing 'reportedly'.

mario said:
Well Siri is still a beta, maybe that's why it's 4S only to keep the load down on the service, since it is mostly server-side processing ?reportedly?.

Siri can run on any of the iphones, ipads, or ipod touches (well, not the ipods without video recording support). Its just a matter of marketing. Apple won't put the new featres into the old OS because they want you to buy a new device. I'm willing to be that they will launch and ipad 2s or ipad 3 by q2 next year in time for easter with siri for ipad

No, Siri can't, in fact, run smoothly on a single core. Apple has, albeit unnofically, said the reason Siri is 4S-only is because of the higher clock speed of the new model. Apparently, Siri is quite demanding.

That's not to say, of course, that by using some sort of hack it won't run on a regular iPhone 4... It's just that it might not perform as well.

If you're an android user, why are you even reading this and commenting?

No reason it wouldn't be possible to run Siri on iPad 2. Same A5 chip as iPhone 4s, but even faster, because the iPhone 4S' chip is underclocked.

No Siri in the iPhone 4 is a mistake and tells me the 4s isn't a product Apple is convinced will stand on its own.

I had high hopes for my iPhone 4 but after this update, I feel like Apple cheated all of those that took a gamble on them with the iPhone 4.

Another thing, Android Major updates with Google's Android Apps and vendor Modifications are about 200 Meg's in size so why is iOS over 800 Megs when it is clearly less feature rich on the iPhone 4? Keep in mind that Android 2.x has the features which Siri brings built in and it is still smaller!

For 3192 error, it indicates the computer doesn't have enough disk space. Clean it up and do restore/update again. I have a MacBook, but a Windows machine may need to do the same thing.

Considering Apple paved the way and set the standard for smartphones (and other devices now being copied), your post is pretty funny...

Lawfer - "No, Siri can't, in fact, run smoothly on a single core. Apple has, albeit unnofically, said the reason Siri is 4S-only is because of the higher clock speed of the new model. Apparently, Siri is quite demanding."

Siri was an app that was available for the iPhone4 and was downloadable up until last month so that it would be exclusive app for the iPhone4S.

Is there a way to get messaging to be like chatpic now? The video showed it but i cant figure it out.

Has anyone encountered a problem with the new iOS 5 if their ipad (or other devices) been jailbroken?

I was so excited to download the new software for my iphone4 and now that I have it I'm so disappointed. imessenger is awful! Everyone was stoked because they thought apple was finally coming out with a BBM type messaging app, and let me tell you, unless I am not seeing something that everyone else is seeing. It is garbage! its exactly like the old regular messaging system and its not 100% free. Apple needs to come up with something better than that. All this waiting for NOTHING. Thanks for the disappointment Apple.

Man you bought a phone and got what you paid for. Don't nobody owe you nothing and it ain't cute.

Itunes 10.5 update and iOS 5 install on my ipod touch 4th gen has been a major fail. Backups completely hang and there is a new "apsdaemon.exe" process (probably connected with icloud) that is completely taking up one of my cores (no memory changes just 50% processor usage on a dual core machine). This happened with the last major iOS update as well for me which completely wiped my ipod and itunes libraries.

Apple complains about flash causing crashes on their systems. Well Itunes is by far the worst offender on my computer. Crashes at least once a day! Not happy apple.

Guest said:
If you're an android user, why are you even reading this and commenting?

Perhaps as a rebuttal to all the iSheep posts about how Apple innovates and everyone else copies. Clearly other companies can come up with their own, better ideas that even the geniuses at Apple have to acknowledge are superior to their own as they have incorporated them into their perfect OS, and got rid of their prior perfect version. Does this answer your question?

Guest said:
Lawfer - "No, Siri can't, in fact, run smoothly on a single core. Apple has, albeit unnofically, said the reason Siri is 4S-only is because of the higher clock speed of the new model. Apparently, Siri is quite demanding."

Siri was an app that was available for the iPhone4 and was downloadable up until last month so that it would be exclusive app for the iPhone4S.

In case you didn't know, it was taken down because Siri is now part of the operating system in the 4S, unlike before, which was just an app. It is interpolatively connected with other parts of the system, hence why it is so demanding, especially if it's meant to be constantly running. Please recall Siri is a supposed personal assistant, it reminds you when you step in or out of a geofence, and reminds of you calendar tasks and appointments... all by voice.

Believe me, I'm no Apple fanboy, but I know about software. If Siri works as well, and as integrated as advertised, then have no doubt it would at least require a dual-core setup to perform smoothly.

Back