Athlon 64 Or Pentium 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabenfox

I know this is a stuipd question, but i must post it anyways :slurp:

Ok, i'm going to be building half of a new computer very soon with my income tax money. when i say half, i mean a new motherboard and cpu (poss video
card). I have been looking at the P4's and the athlon 64's. When goign to tomshardware.com and checking them both out they seem to be fairly matched, with a few more benchmarks leading to the p4. However i know the athlon 64's will also be cheaper. So to make the long story short i wanted your guys input on it. If you have an athlon 64 or a P4. I want to spend around $500.00 give or take a little.

My current systems is :
Pentium 4 2.4 (800FSB)
Radeon 9800 Pro (128 meg)
512 Megs of OCZ (ddr500)
Soundblaster Live
Lite On 12x cd burner

Now the computer i'm using now i can't overclock, i'm guessing it's beacuse of the motherboard, damn cheap gigabyte. Anyways the next computer i build i want to overclock. And i have been VERY VERY interested in SLI Interface. All opinions are appreciated !!

an athlon 64 FX-55 can kick the P4's **** but will totally blow your budget. i'd go with an intel D865PERL mobo, loaded with all features. best performance for mPGA478 cpus, according to toms hardware guide. i'm assuming you have an mPGA478 CPU. just don't forget that DDR 400! the board should allow you to keep your current CPU/ram. here in chicago it's selling for around 100 bucks.

I'm running exclusively AMD systems and loving it. Intel is over rated, plus they screwed the city of Austin on a real estate deal. they got a 10 property tax exemption on a proposed building. They threw up the skeleton and ceased construction. Said they couldn't afford to finish it leaving us an eyesore.

The world's largest chip manufacturer can't afford to build a building, on a piece of prime real estate that they don't have to pay ANY property tax on for 10 years? I don't buy it for 1 minute. They'll write off the terminated construction as a loss and get a nice deduction, then at the 9 year mark they'll flip that prime real estate for a tidy profit.

Boycott Intel!

it depends on what you're planning to use the pc 4.
gaming? Athlon64 will make you very happy.

encoding? P4 will cut your times by more (though sometimes only seconds..) then the athlon.

anyway, the best performing systems all around are the athlons. even though missing HT they still manage to beat P4's by lots especially when gaming! All the rest they are on par/better then p4's with exception of hardcore encoding.
btw, nforce3 250gb or nforce4 ultra/sli are the best performing & feature wise chipsets around having build up the core for most pc enthusiasts today.

oh yeah:

"Now the computer i'm using now i can't overclock, i'm guessing it's beacuse of the motherboard, damn cheap gigabyte."
not at all. google around on overclocker forums. Intel locks:
a) all chips ompletely! (amd does this for up mutlipliers. which is just why peeps love them!)
b) all newer chipsets @ 10%. (yeah, but the 4 Ghz speeds are really difficult to achieve with intel, hint? abandoned 4Ghz prescott by intell because architectural problems)
so overclocking is limited by intel personally. gigabyte (like I have: 7nnxp, love it!!) gives the full features to overclock when the chipsets support it!

and most Amd's reach 2.6-2.7 Ghz on air, beating every P4 in Benches and performance.

all in all, A64 is going strong right now and surpasses even the P4 Extremely Expensive Edition ($1000 MSRP!?!!) easily in games for which the EE was adopted!

the best alias,

a look at AMD and intel's history and current issues will tell who is the better company. and it sure wasn't the one making crappy knockoffs and selling people CPUs that would almost always fail under regular operation.

If none of you can provide valid information as to which is best for his needs, I might as well lock this thread as it's heading towards another fanboy flamewar.

Provide info, evidence, links & let sabenfox make up his mind.

found this if it helps
http://www.kassystems.com/images/b4.gif
theres more if you take time to look I found that in 3 seconds of searching
lots of issues to think about other than money
how can I prove that experience with amd's (for Me )have not been good
best to do lots of home work, I get anal when I go to buy
my systems may not be the fastest but they are rock sold
and both intel.
Good Luck

PS
I'm Looking for a cheap DT MB that uses 855 chipset

QUOTE-->nope. personal experience leads me to my opinions, but you said proof.<---

steve shut up. he just doesnt like AMD. if your going to use it for gaming go with the FX-55. if you dont got the money, go with like, an asus or epox (ive heard epox o'cs nicely) board and a 2500+ and with good cooling you can o'c the living crap out of it. i think all the 2500s are unlocked too so thats a plus. and with the extra cash you can get a good vid card and/or more ram.

sri cant be more spcific. ADDs kicking in. :giddy:

aj, how surprising, i said the 64 FX will beat out a P4. what is overrated is this 64 bit craze, intel's had 64 bit architecture on the market since 1999 or so, back when AMD was kickingout overheating, lackluster k-7's and athlons/durons.

My "lackluster" K7 still runs quite well thank you

AMD a whole lot cheaper and better at getting the job done

I just paid 150 for a AMD 64 3000+, how much for a P4 of that same calibur?
over 200$

yeah, AMD does have the price performance ratio in thier favor, and as i stated earlier, currently AMD's performance excels that of intel. but we have to take into account other things, besides marginal performance gains.

yes, thermal stamina, reliability, compatibility, honesty, all of that stuff.

what about basing high opinions of AMD + others based on benchmarks they have cheated on? i know there is a history of unscropulous activity amognst various asian mobo makers and AMD. intel stands clear.

Ok the AMD 64 may give you a slight preformance booster but your system will not run a true 64 until you are running a 64 bit CPU, a 64 bit OS and 64 bit drivers. The 64 bit drivers are not even out yet. A few here and there but not enough to make a true 64 bit enviroment for windows based users and prob not for some years to come. Also the AMD 64 runs hotter. AMD's tend to need less cache as they run just as good if not a little better then the P4's due to the way they are made. The Intel P4 will have a good balence of preformance and stability. I love my Intel 875PBZL and 3 Ghz cpu at 800mhz. Just remember the AMD's aren't even up to the 3 Ghz range yet. Why buy a CPU to overclock it and cut it's life down? Just get the P4 at the speed you want. BTW Intel has said 3.6 GHz will be the highest speed out until 2006. They hope by then they will have fixed the heat and accoustics issues so the P4 3.8 GHz will NOT be coming out anytime soon. Good luck!

It is incredible how much false information is spread in this thread. Intel is the one fighting with high heat output & power consumption problems ever since the introduction of the Prescott core :After integrating AMD64 (called EMT64) it is now integrating a cool'n'quiet like system (extended halt state if memory serves me well). Athlon64s ran cool since their introduction (granted not as cool as a Pentium-M) & run even cooler since they moved to 0.090 manufacturing. Look up your arguments before posting them, you guys seems to be talking about the Thunderbird based Athlon.

Listen I build custom machines all the time. The AMD 64 does run hot but so does the P4. You need to check your facts better. The latest P4 LGA775 start running at 140 F run off the bat. Heat can be better dealt with when considering case, fans, heatsink, etc. I have been to AMD and Intel confrences within the last few months. I know exactly what they both say. I like AMD but I still prefer the Intel even if it might cost more. It's a personal pref and unless you are building these machines every day Didou then I don't see how your input makes a difference.

my OEM heatsink & fan AMD 64 runs at a blistering 99 degrees.
disco inferno

and you should never judge a processor on just the clock speed
instruction set, pipelines, etc
AMD has a different instruction set than Intel
so a AMD may run at 2.0 ghz but it can come close to an Intel 3 ghz in benchmarking.

I prefer not to buy over-priced name brand products
some do

I played Far Cry on High Settings with a Nvidia 5900XT
smooth very smooth

You do not need to setup computers since the 80s or you do not need to be a microprocessor engineer to know the pluses & the minuses of available CPU architectures. I've setup quite a few PCs but since I do not do it as a profession, I'm sure I haven't done it as often as you but it still does not change that the Prescott based Pentium 4 does not have much going for it against a Northwood Pentium 4, even less against an Athlon64 (whichever the core).

If you encode videos for hours every day, that's pretty much the only situation where you would wish to get a Prescott based Pentium 4. In all other cases, there's much better available.

yes, the prescott does have some heat issues and offeres paltry gains over the northwood. kind of a turnaround, intel traditionally has always run cooler...oh well. either way, AMD is turning the tide against intel, and i say more power to 'em. but i do not have an *ahem* pleasant expierience as far as AMD is concerned.

Well all this is great, but I don't really have a bias and I'm in the market looking at a CPU, Mobo combo. My choice is between a AMD Athlon 64 3200 and Intel Pentium 3.2ghz, they are both $219.99. I'm going to get 512 Kinston ram either way. I do alot of gaming and have a BFG GeForce FX 5500 256mb Graphics card. I'm just a 15 year old kid who has saved up his money for a while and doesn't want to buy the wrong thing because the next time i spend this much money will be retirement. So sorry to break up yalls feud, but if you could take alil time and post a nice informative reply then you will do your good deed for the day....

Jet673
all these links compare the Intel & AMD in extensive benchmarks concerning: gaming, encoding, bussiness use, power usage, etc

read them carefully for your 3200+AMD and 3.2Intel
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/index.html
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2275&p=1

especially important: 90nm winchester core A64 cpus:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-90nm.html

I'd suggest a socket939 winchester A64, a Nforce4 ultra Mobo and some high quality PC3200 (or higher for a future overclock) dual channel RAM with lowest latencies you can get.

believe me, it will rock your gaming world the best possible for your money!

edit: nforce4 link:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2248&p=10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back