Hard time with SBlaster Live 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry619

PC 5.1 Speaker / Sound Blaster Live! problems

Hi, i'll start of by saying i don't know alot about this subject, so bare with me if i say some really obvious stuff, hehe.

I've had a Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 DTT2200 sitting around for awhile when my dad gave it too me as he no longer needed it, so the other day i got a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card (Digital Entertainment version i think?), put it in earlier today, set it up, and had problems since.

After awhile of getting extra drivers and stuff, i've managed to make the 2 rear speakers have good sound (them 2 alone is nicer than my old set up) but nothing but a low fuzz noise from the other 3, and if i put it in "Digital Only Mode" (in Creative Sourround Mixer) all i get is a low bassy noise from the subwoofer.

As far as i can tell i've got all the plugs correct (green, black and orange) and i've set it to 5.1 in XP control panel, so i'm not really sure what it could be.

Thanks for any help, Barry.

5.1 Live! Configuration?

First of all, don't jump to conclusions too quick, if you have a new card, it should work.
I run a 5.1 live! from Creative Labs and it works very well.
I ran it under several Win-OS's and always managed to have it run perfectly.
A few question have to be asked here.
Your old speaker system, was it an onboard or did you have another card installed?
What's your Operating System?
So I can point you directly to where you need to be for solving this prob.
Most likely your facing an IRQ (channel used by your hardware) conflict or a driver conflict.
If you had an onboard audiocard installed before, best thing is to disable it in your BIOS.
If you had another card installed make sure it got uninstalled properly.
And last, my opinion, stay away from ebay, too much probs in trades going on there.
Local newspapers report frequently of abuse and scamschemes used by their users (sellers).

hi, it is a onboard one, how do i go about disabling it in BIOS? i'll give that a go. thanks for helping.

...and yes i know ebay isn't great, i was just looking on it for a quick look at different cards and prices :)

Hi, I got a Sblaster Live 5.1 to use with an AMD 2.6MHz PC running Windows XP, and despite installed the hardware and software, it remains out of duty. I noticed later, the SB is to be used up to OS Windows 2000, and got the drivers on the web, but they start installing and prompt me with the message " You don´t have a sound board, and the set up will end".
Give me some help. Should I change the board, another proper to use on Windows XP?

Disabling onboard sound to make 5.1 work

Hey Barry,
It's quite an easy thing to do actually, that is if you know what you're doing.
If you feel not sure after reading the following, I advice you to get some assistance from a friend who's more familiar with setting up BIOSses.
When starting up your PC the first you get displayed is the memory count.
At the end of that, you'll see it detecting your harddrives, while he's doing so, at the bottom of your screen, a bold printed sentence will appear saying:" Press DELL to enter setup".
So you press DELL, which will abort the startup proces and which will bring you into the BIOS menu.
In general, the feature you're looking for will be found in the "advanced Settings"
You can find it in this submenu refferred to as "onboard audio" or "AC97".
Normally, the help function, F1, will tell you this for sure, you can change your settings with the "page-up- & page-down"-keys
It will then have "disabled" displayed next to your feature.
Next, press ESC to go back to the main menu.
Now, move to "Exit and save settings"
the system will ask for confirmation, press "Y" for yes.
The system will now exit the BIOS menu following by a reboot.
Your system will now start with the onboard sound disabled.
Go over your install again, if necessary, re-install your drivers and the card should work just perfectly.
WARNING!!! NEVER MAKE ADJUSTMENTS IN YOUR BIOS IF YOU'RE NOT SURE ABOUT WHAT EXACTLY YOU'RE DOING
Remember at all times that the BIOS is the primary operating system, if anything goes wrong there nothing will work.
Normally you'll always will be able to enter it, see above, and install "default settings" and go on from there.
So, follow above exactly and it should work and if not sure let yourself be assisted with one who knows his way around.
Best of luck and keep me posted :rolleyes:

Check this out...

...it will most likely do the trick :cool:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic24658.html

It's a similar prob also with a 5.1 live!.
Also I have the same card running prefectly within my XP on my Gigabyte Mobo with an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU.
When first starting I got the same message, disabling your onboard audio will, normally, have it working without any prob.

i think i disabled it correctly (i have a dell, so my BIOS is a little different, it had the option "Sound" and when i pressed F1 for help, it said it was to enable/disable the onboard sound, so i turned it off, exit & save) then reinstalled the drivers, but still no luck. Still perfect sound form the rear 2 speakers, just nothing from left, center or right. :(

Dell is way cool

Dell is indeed a little "different" then the others :approve:
But if you've followed the logical thinking of the above written it should be ok.
You can always go enter your BIOS again, check and exit without saving.
That way you checked your settings but nothing changed to when you entered :)
In that case you might want to go check for conflicting IRQ's.
I faced it with someone else's P4, and there it was an IRQ-conflict between the audio-card and the video-card.
Could you give me some more specs on your Dell system, so I can do some info-digging myself.

It's a Dell Dimension 8300, if that means anything, these are the things listed in the device manager:

Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz (this is listed twice for some reason!?)
512mb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
NEC DVD+RW
Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection

anything else you need to know just ask and i'll look it up. Thanks

Is that an OEM card? Did it come with a driver disk? OEM cards are made so that Creatives drivers wont work with them. They are made with hardware identifiers missing so that the Creative driver doesnt see it as a Creative card. Its so Creative wont have to spend money supporting cards made for other companies. This is a really common problem with the SB Live cards Dell used.

ß will go on info-hunting

I'll try to find out more about your prob with this information already.
Yet another small question first though, the audio card is Digital Entertainment version you mentioned above.
Is this displayed as the manufacturer of your card?
'Cause in a similar thread, https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic24682.html , displayed elsewhere in this section Vegasgmc might had a clue for this prob also.
Vegasgmc said:
Is that an OEM card? Did it come with a driver disk? OEM cards are made so that Creatives drivers wont work with them. They are made with hardware identifiers missing so that the Creative driver doesnt see it as a Creative card. Its so Creative wont have to spend money supporting cards made for other companies. This is a really common problem with the SB Live cards Dell used.
Also can some of the experienced XP users come over and give a hand here, 'cause I only recently, since 2 weeks, converted to it from Win2k.
In Win2k I could easily find in systemmanagement the folder "conflicts/sharing", which displayed what hardware was using which IRQ, this was quite easy to find out which device could conflict with another.
In XP I can't seem to find that feature anywhere.
Help wanted, thx guys :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back