How to Remove OS Selection On boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

recently i was working on my friends computer to fix some problems. One one of the problems i was testing out anotehr hard drive. So i put another ahrd drive in, isntalled home on it and botted up, i got hit with a screen while booting, asking me what OS i wanted (naturally since it was Xp Home that was installed on both thats what hte options were). Once finished with it i took out teh extra HDD but i;m still getting this question about what OS i want when i boot. Obviously when i pick the one that isnt actaully there it says that its not connected, but that doesnt make it go away. it syas hit F8 to get more options but all they are is liek safe mode and Vga mode etc. It is very annoying, does anyone know how to stop this?? :blackeye:

Explorer must be set to show hidden and system files.
In Explorer go to C:\boot.ini, rightclick and select properties. Remove the Read-only and click OK.
Select Edit or Open with [Notepad]
Boot.ini looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Other Windows XP" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Change the timeout to =0

Under [Operating systems] delete the line that has a different rdisk and/or partition from the one that shows bold, in my example rdisk(1), partition(1) from 'Other XP'
Save the changes
put the read-only attribute back on.
Next time you bott, it will go straight into your own XP again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back