Nice Or Nasty Norton

tomrca

well people of techspot, a lesson was well appreciated and learned by me concerning NORTON , what i have discovered by being a regular vistitor to techspot is, it simply is a load of expensive rubbish. I have been PM'd by a number people and told by techsperts itsRUBBISH.
When it works it misses loads of baddies, and when it finds them it cant remove many of them, it has to be done manually, and the spyware edition is just as bad. the whole concept of what they are claiming what it does is an abominaton. so to any readers that are new as i relatively am, take back the norton crap to norton and ask for your money back, for me this is too late, but they certainly know about it from me.

Just like AOL, it says that it's really great and none are better. Then the problems and annoyances start to mount, and their poor customer department makes everyone rip their remaining hair out.

Now, I wouldn't normally bump a post, but this is a joyous occasion where an end user has seen the light.

Hopefully your testimony will convert the brainwashed masses away from the true evil and into the realms of proper IT.

The popularity of Norton really is testement to the power of advertising and corporate brand names. :( I wouldn't put AOL in guite the same league, but it's not far from it.

The only Norton worth having.

Norton.jpg

Guaranteed not to screw with your computer.

Regards Howard :p :p

Yeah. The image was in two pieces, and I didn`t do a particularly good job of stitching them back together lol.

However, I think people will get my drift. :p

Regards Howard :D

Edit: I have replaced the image with a better one.

Spike said:
Hopefully your testimony will convert the brainwashed masses away from the true evil and into the realms of proper IT....

what are the realms of proper IT? what programs do you all use for security?

never had any problems with it..... then again I run norton corporate for an anti-virus and sytemworks 2003 for general repairs....

By proper realms of IT, I mean programs that are well written, updated sensibly, and are designed to do their job and no more, and they should do it well. It's also an advantage to be able to access more advanced options when/if required, and that the program sits on top of windows instead of embedding itself deeply into it. Small memory footprints, and low CPU usage are also goals to aim for. They should also uninstall themselves completely when uninstalled. None of the above applies to Norton.

Such programs as the following are worth considering... as replacements...

antivirus

avg - http://free.grisoft.com/ or www.grisoft.com

Kaspersky - http://www.kaspersky.com/

Nod32 - www.nod32.com

firewalls

Agnitum Outpost - www.agnitum.com

Kerio - www.kerio.com

Sygate personal firewall (though now owned by Symantec, so expect it to become bloated and/or useless at some time in the future) - http://soho.sygate.com/

anti-spyware

Spybot Search and Destroy - www.safer-networking.org

Ad-aware - www.lavasoftusa.com

MS Anti-spyware (beta) - windows update

HJT - www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Anti-Trojan

Ewido - www.ewido.net

...Just for a small list :) All of the above programs are known and worthy of reccomendation though. Just take your pick.

HOSTS

A good hosts file - not software but important anyway - http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

edit: BTW, I forgot to mention that many of us with broadband connections use a router, which often comes with it's own firewall. You can't underestimate the benefit of a good router in security terms. (well, you can and many do, but they usually understand once they get one)

I think this thread should be made a sticky, there'll be a lot less 'Whats a good Antivirus/Firewall' threads around with this up all the time. People will just look at that list and think 'problem solved'

ahh, NIS 05 ain't all bad. still, my first choice for AV protection would be AVG. systemworks is definately bad news though.

however bad symantec products may be, they can't be half as bad as mcaffee...

I would have to disagree with you there..Nortons is extremely resource hungry for what its doing ...in the past yes mcafee's was poor but we are using the lastest Virus scan 8 on demand scan on our network and its excellent saves me loads of overheads....basically looks after its self..it sends me an email when it finds a virus(After quarantining it and deleeting it) and uses very little resources on the PC or network its self....i wouldn't recommend nortons to my worst enemy and if your a home user the subscription fee's are a joke..it doesnt even stop half of the spyware that FREE programmes do...dont see how you can defend it

NAV isn't the worst virus scanner in the world. NSW isn't the worst system utilities suite in the world either.

But I personally don't use them.

Rick said:
NAV isn't the worst virus scanner in the world. NSW isn't the worst system utilities suite in the world either.

But I personally don't use them.
:( I agree with Rick, you vent your anger at NAV but it should be aimed at
the BARSTARDS that create the virus to begin with. :evil: (Who are these people)

:approve: So what if it isn't the best? NAV is still better than having no anti-virus protection at all, even if it is
resouce hungry and you have to manually delete some nasties. :zzz: (How lazy are we becoming?)

I understand why your angry but remember that no one forced you to buy it.
(Or did they? lol.) :haha: Call it a lesson learned and dont make the same mistake again.

wow.... i have norton antivirus on my computer and was about to install it on my son's... never knew it wasn't up to par... I will have to check out those posted on this thread for my son's computer... I agree should make as sticky- the good antivirus/firewall etc

i just tryed avg pro with firewall and i liked it a lot. grisoft makes a quality product indeed...

Nasty nasty nasty Symantec/Norton.

I am of course refering to Symantec`s decision to get rid of the Sygate firewall.

The malware writers, and the hackers out there must be rubbing their grubby little hands together.

Regards Howard :mad: :mad:

Touche' Daveo

I couldn't agree more than with what Daveo said. I have long said that there need to be AT LEAST 4 public HANGINGS of convicted VIRUS releasers.
Venting done... aw heck. God has a special place in Hell reserved for Bill Gates because of Windows ME. Now I'm done.

I have used Panda's Internet Security Suite for almost a year now along with both Adaware SE and Spybot and so far....... To all noob's and concerned citizens,UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE.
I will definitely look at some of the options listed above.

I have always used Panda as my anti-virus on my personal machines as well as my servers. Panda Titanium 2006 w/ Anti-Spyware is by far the best I've used, and I work with viruses on a daily basis. Kaspersky's 2006 product is excellent as well. Norton, McAffee, and AVG are a waste of time. Don't get me started on AOL....
Anti-Spyware programs have to evolve so quickly to keep up with the new generations of spyware / adware that older programs such as Spybot and Adaware just don't keep up. Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta (formerly Giant Anti-Spyware) is the most affective when used in conjunction with a quality anti-virus program.

I totally agree with you there howard, Sygate Personal Firewall or Pro is one of the best and easiest firewalls out there, and those nasty Norton guys are scrapping it. All I can say is TRAGIC MISTAKE!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back