Windows XP will not load without XP CD in drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcatmk2123

Hi, as the name says, for some reason my comp says "disk boot error" on both our HDs when the XP home cd is not in the drive but seems to find it when the cd is in, even if i dont hit to load the cd. I just got my comp fixed and back to me and the guy didnt mention it doing this. I have XP Pro on one drive and XP home on the other and it give the option to dual boot, but only if the XP Home cd is in the drive and i dont have to hit enter to "boot from cd", it just goes to the dual boot screen. Ive never had this problem before and i cant think of what I could do to stop it from doing this. Anyone else have and idea on how to deal with this?

MB=Foxconn 865g7mc-es
CPU= P4 prescott 3ghz 865G chipset
RAM=2 512mbs Kensington
HD= 200GB Maxtor, 30 GB western
VIDEO= BFG Geforce 6800GT AGP

Go Into BIOS

Pressing delete while your comp is booting up... sometimes will get you into computer BIOS which should have a listing where you want it to boot from. set it at C: first CD 2nd, if it's not Delete...it might by F3 or ...depends on computer and will prompt you at start-up

Don't know how much help this will be?

sounds to me like your bootloader may be corrupt.

lets try doing this.

boot to windows xp cd.
choose option to repair windows installation. "this will get you to the recovery console"

from here choose the installation that is your primary master hdd this is the one with your boot.ini file or should be...

once you get to the command prompt.... >fixboot hit enter "it may ask if you want to rewrite the bootsector. tell it "Y" and continue."
now back at the command prompt run fixmbr hit enter "it may ask to rewrite the bootsector again. tell it yes again."

reboot computer without cd in drive and see what happens

I did that during a test run it was scary... But......... It worked

my MBR was messed up, but it worked on my test run

I did the fixboot and fixmbr just like you said but it still says "DISK BOOT ERROR, PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK". Also I now have like 4 options to use to boot (one is blank in the name, two have XP in them, and the other is its default name) with because I accidently added 2 more in the recovery console before when i tried to fix them. You guys have any idea how I can get rid of the two of them? Ive also tried to boot first to Hard drive and switched between one being active and the other deactive and it finds neithers OS with one drive "on" the and other "off". It insists on having both drives active to even get to the dual boot screen or to recognize the XP cd to install.

This happened to me just today! O_o I had to go into the computer BIOS and change the Bootup pirorities from Floppy to CD-ROM, and load my Backup BIOs files. Infact, I don't really remember much of what I did. ._.; I guess I just got lucky. I hope I helped in some way.

Do you have another harddrive to test and see if is just that harddrive that has the problem. If you can load winxp on another harddrive try do so and then put the shady drive in as a slave (not boot) and try to see if you can see files from the other drive.

Then transfer the files from the shady drive to the other harddrive that works on boot.

Thanks for the input, would have tried them but I just got it to work before I saw your posts. I called up the guy who fixed it for me and he said that since I reinstalled home on the 200GB HD(secondary master) with the 30GB(primary slave) still hooked up with PRO installed that it messed with the MBR and that it doesnt know where to look for the directories without the CD in. So he suggested I put the both the CD-ROMS on the secondary IDE and the HDs on the primary IDE and set master/slave for each line. Then with the 30GB XP PRO unhooked from the ribbon install XP home again, then hook up the 30GB XP PRO after. Just installed Home now to type this and so far no problems although the other drive is still unhooked, im sure it wont casue a problem now as it has got this far, where before it wouldnt with one drive. Thanks for the help.

Why in the world do you have winxp home and pro. Why didn't you just upgrade home to pro. Home is kind of usless compared to the superior xp pro, plus to be safer in the future.

If you have xp home upgrade it to pro with the cd after you do a backup of home.

What I would do, as if you wanted to know, is to back up your data and apps, then nuke both drives. After nuking, place the 30g drive as master on ide1, and install your os there. Then install the second hdd (to be used for apps and storage) as master on the second ide channel or primary sata channel depending on the drive config. Then install the optical drives as slaves on respective channels.

Place a swapfile on each drive so paging reads and writes can occur simultaneously.

that's right never use two windows OS for safety reasons.
Safe configurations:

WinXP Pro and Linux
WinXP Pro and Win2000
Win2000 and Linux
etc, never use Win2000 or below NT is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back