POST Code 9.0 Abit NI8 SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This code is the last message I get when attempting to boot up a new computer I am building.

I believe my video card is bad, as I have hooked it up every way possible with the DVI adapter. I have even tried a second monitor and still no signal.

If I know that my computer has booted up properly to the point of accessing my BIOS, I will at least have that info to give to the tech boys at XFX, so they can ok my sending back the 7800 GTX video card for one that works.

Thanks in advance.

I just did a quick google, and there isn't too much out there for info, but it seems that this is not a video card related issue.

What is your CPU? From what I can tell, it seems that it may be your bios out of date, and can't figure out how to use your newer CPU.

most bios makers list error code 9 as a Rom checksum error. you might want to check your memory.

Thanks for your reply. This is a complete new build. Processor is Intel 830 dual core. Mobo is the Abit NI8 SLI nForce4 C19 Socket 775. Running a single XFX GeForce 7800 GTX video card.

My mobo user's manual lists POST code 9.0 as "Complete uGuru initial process, AWARD BIOS take over booting job."

Have you tried disabling uguru in the bios to see if that solves the problem?

How would I disable uGuru without having video? I have reset my BIOS, but since the BIOS have never been changed, even that would seem useless.

The mobo only supports uGuru; you have to purchase add-on w/accompanying software/drivers to run uGuru. At this point, it's just a connection on the mobo if I'm not mistaken.

I'm open to any suggestions :)

hmm well I have not built any systems with your particular board but I have built a few with abit boards that had the first versions of uguru on them. on those boards uguru had to be enabled when first setting up the bios.

if you dont have another video card available then there isnt much you can do or check. ( that is one of the reasons I keep and old TNT PCI video card around.)

The only thing I could even think of at this point would be to see if there is a newer bios available. although how the flash would go without any video is a question.

RMA'ing the card may solve the problem ,unless it is a defective MOBO that is the problem and not the card.

BTW are youhooking this up with a CRT or a LCD?

iss said:
BTW are youhooking this up with a CRT or a LCD?

Good question, I am using an LCD monitor; though, I did hook up an older crt monitor to the video card, with the same results (no signal).

My LCD has the option to change from analog to digital input; however, without a signal to the monitor, I can't make the change when it's hooked up to the new setup.

You got me to thinking . . . my current computer/video card has a DV output . . . what if I hooked my monitor to that and changed the monitor input from analog to digital, then moved the monitor to the new computer? Would the monitor stay set to digital? Could this be why I am getting no signal?

it's worth a try.

one other thing I would consider, given the high power requirements of high end cards what PSU are you using? does the 7800 use a molex connector for additional power? had a friend of mine who built a new system and couldnt get video once turned out he hadnt connected the molex connector.

ALSO: I have never built an SLI rig that is a mobo that will accomodate TWO video cards correct? if you are using one video card does it matter which PCI express slot is used?

I am using an Ultra X-Connect 500 watt power supply. Yes, the video card has a different type power connection that plugs into the card and then Y's into two molex connectors and I have both them connected to power.

My lcd monitor is now connected to the DV output of my older (AGP) video card/computer and it works, where it doesn't work on my newer video card (PCI-E)/computer "in progress." Though, that fact doesn't shed any more light on my problem, lol.

I am currently using only one video card, which required a small card be placed in a small slot between the two PCI-E slots, when using only one card. You turn the card around and place it back in the small slot when running SLI.

I asked myself the same question regarding whether it mattered which PCI-E slot I placed the card and the documentation that came with the mobo didn't help answer that question either.. I tried placing it in both slots and got the same result; though, I do believe that it belongs in PCI-E slot 1.

just a thought but have you tried using an adapter to connect the LCD monitor to the analog connection on the 7800 instead of the DVI one?

oh wait I see you mentioned you had tried the CRT on the new card and it didnt work. so attaching the LCD thru the analog probably wont make a difference.

The problem with the XFX GeForce 7800 GTX OC card is that both outputs are DVI and require adapters.

I really do wish it is just some bonehead thing I haven't thought of that will get me out of this jam, as returning the video card and getting a new one will be a pain and with no guarantee that this is the problem, I'll just find myself in the same spot 3 or 4 weeks down the line.

I never had so much trouble building my last computer. Though, with each problem solved I will gain more knowledge for the next build.

I did a little google search on Abit NI8 SLI boards and found some reports of the exact same problem you are having- no video signal. from what I saw it appears it was the mobo that was faulty and not the video card. there were also reports of problems with the use of kingston hyper X or using more than 2 GB of memory on the board.

if you know anyone with a PCI express mobo it might be worth your while to try your card in their machine to see if the card is faulty or not. might even be worth your while to pay a few bucks to a computer shop to have them hook it up to a PCI express board to check it if you dont know anyone with a PCI express board.

HERE is the article I was talking about earlier where it seems as if the problem for this other guy was that his chipset bios wasn't ready for the newer CPU he was sticking in there. His board was an ABIT, but a different model from yours.

After updating his bios, he was up and running.

Don't know if this'll apply to this case, but thought I'd offer it for your viewing pleasure.

EDIT: looks like the post by "iss" above is more specific to your board. I'd go with what he says first.

Sounds like the problem I have alright. I have 2 x 1gb of Corsair ram . . . don't know if removing 1 gig would help me get past that and into my BIOS so I could update them, but I guess I could try it.

I've already contacted Abit with my problem . . . will probably wait for their reply. Good thing I have a computer that runs well enough to play BF2 on medium settings.

I may have a long wait, lol. Thanks Don and ISS, for all your help.

I got an Abit AV8 for AMD64, that was not ready for the Winchester CPU.
I tried Abit customer service in USA, UK and Holland.
USA never answered, UK and Holland both sent me an updated BIOS-chip by return mail!

I was able to get hold of tech support via telephone and now have an RMA for my mobo. They act as if the BIOS have nothing to do with my problem though, so who knows what I will get back.

I'm having the same problem trying to install an ASUS Nvidia 7600 GT video card it worked like 4 times once it worked like for 5 mins and then rebooted and didn't detect the video again. I even switched the video card at the store and it was Tiger direct from whom I got this board.

It basically just cycles through 3 code numbers showing on the panel integrated to the board but doesn't display any video. I wonder if a normal pci video card would boot and then I would have to change something from the bios or upgrade the bios?

I was thinking on returning the v card for my money but now I'm starting to think it's the motherboard with these forums. This really sucks to spend so much money and then nothing happens.

I don't know how many times I have reset the Bios and removed the Bios battery those type of basic solutions don't work.

Wonder if it's the PCIE selector don't think so I have put it correctly to my belief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back