Win XP on two computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Row1

Hello- I am planning on making a 2nd computer. Am I able to simply use my Win XP (full not upgrade) for a 2nd comp? Will Microsoft detect the same copy on the 2nd comp and immediately deploy federal agents? Or at least block me from getting win xp updates on the 2nd comp?

Or is it OK to use my Win XP on this 2nd comp? This will really cut down on the costs.
-Row1

No, you can't legally install the same Windows on two different machines unless you paid for a license that permits it and you would know if you did. I've never tried it myself so I can't speak from experience but the second installation should fail to authenticate and will become inactive after 30 days.

It will work just fine but Microsoft can find out and sue you for it. That is up to you.

is it full retail, oem, or volume licensing? you should not attempt to do it. it is illegal. but microsoft is going after biggys who do it for a living. if it is retail, it will ask for activation, the oem/corporate and volume licencing will not.

OEM does ask for activation if you reinstall on a machine and you have added new hardware or if you install on a diffrent machine than what it came for(which is also illegal) Say it is an OEM version for Dell and you want to put on a Compaq that would illegal)

But a home user would not spend that kind of money to but the corporate version. He said it is retail. So it can not be done legally.

and mastronaut what you have done if you did not remove from other machine was illegal and will always be.
there are stories going around that you can load same license
on one home and one laptop that also is wrong

What I have heard from sources (who will remain anonymous) is, you may put it on all your home computers if you so wish. It is unreasonable to expect people to buy separate licenses for each computer they own, they would go broke and a revolt of the highest proportion would ensue. I wouldn't do it myself mind you...

From Microsoft's Website:

How many installations can be made with one product license? Has this changed with the introduction of MPA?

The underlying principles of Microsoft product licenses have not changed. Microsoft EULAs have always specified the number of computers where the product can be installed. MPA does not change that. For Office XP, primary users can also install one copy of the product on a portable computer for their exclusive use. To install Office XP on more than these two devices, the user must acquire another license of the product. Licenses for copies of Office XP that are preinstalled on new computers are single-computer licenses that cannot be transferred or installed again on another computer. The licensing terms have not been changed because of MPA.

What happens if you try to install and activate a product on more computers than the EULA allows?

Installation of the product on more computers than the EULA allows is a violation of the EULA. Technically, MPA does not limit the number of computers where the product can be installed. For example, you could install Windows XP on 100 computers, but activation would not be successful on 99 of those computers. If you installed Office XP on 100 computers, activation would not be successful on 98 of those computers. This limits the usefulness of the installations that are in violation of the EULA. Outside MPA, Microsoft does not know how many computers have Windows XP or Office XP family products installed.

So it looks to me (if I am understanding this right), that you are allowed to install a copy of OFFICE XP on your portable and one on your home computer at the same time, but not windows XP. XP can only be installed on one system. Any attemps to register other installations will fail.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;302878&x=16&y=4

This pretty much says it all in a nutshell: Microsoft does not know how many computers have Windows XP or Office XP family products installed. ;)

Little Fishy

I myself have a actually purchased copies of XP pro and home OEM.

Just seems a little weird that none of you can answer this guys question.
Seems to me that more of you have illegal corp software than your willing to say. Because if you have ever reinstalled and it is hard to believe none of you know what I am stating below.

What makes me think this is if any of you did reinstall wich I do every few months, your going to notice that you need to call microsoft almost every time.....Occationally it will let you activate your product online. But more then less the online activation is going to prompt you to call microsoft.
In that case you talk to a machine for a little bit, give her your validation ID and she is going to give you a installion ID or transfer you to a human that is going to ask you how many machines this copy of windows is on and once you tell them what they want to hear they give you a installation ID and your all done. I have done this well over 20 times.

With that said......

For a temporary amount of time, I had the same copy of XP With the SAME COA installed on a seperate computer at the same time it was loaded on my main machine. Called up microsoft and they gave me a installation ID just as long as I answered yes to their magic question....."Is this the only computer this copy of XP is installed on?"

I even installed updates on both machines at the same time from Microsoft and nothing happened......Ran smooth as silk.....

No Fed's at the door. No warrant for my arrest....Computers didnt blow up ect.....ect.....

You can do it just as long as you dont go crazy.....Dont mass produce it and sell it...If all you are doing is having the same copy of XP on 2 machines in your house nothing is going to happen......

And for all of you going to say I am a crook for saying this go ahead....I didnt tell him he had to do it I just made him aware that it is completley possible and 99.9% risk free.........

JimShady23 said:
What makes me think this is if any of you did reinstall wich I do every few months, your going to notice that you need to call microsoft almost every time.....Occationally it will let you activate your product online. But more then less the online activation is going to prompt you to call microsoft.

I too reinstall a few times a year and have NEVER had to call in. It let's me activate every time without a hitch.

When I install on a different system completely, I have to call in and yes, they do give out a new validation code. Of course.

Are there ways around it this validation system? Of course. Just not legally. And THAT is the question isn't it?

I'm not proud, just practical! JimShady's got the right idea. Microsoft has more pressing issues to worry about (i.e. Vista) for one... I'm done. :D

mastronaut said:
I'm not proud, just practical! JimShady's got the right idea. Microsoft has more pressing issues to worry about (i.e. Vista) for one... I'm done. :D

I like that line of thinking. Maybe I will start using it myself....

It is OK for me to break into your home, because the police have better things to do than trying to catch me.... :haha:

All I am saying is, there is a law. Like it? Don't like it? Doesn't change the fact that it is a law.

Tricky part is, there are some laws that make sense, and some that don't. There are some laws that in MY opinion are OK to break. Rules which I am sure there are many who would say it is LESS offensive to break copyright rules and hack XP.

So, I will not judge, but simply say this. It is not a law that I personally choose to break, in this particular case. :D

Don't pull that holier than thou attitude with me ;) ! I am not the one who spelled out 'how' to do it, I just said it can be done. Some people think it's ok to smoke pot even though that too is illegal, good for them! Murder, rape and crimes against humanity are the things we should be worried about, not whether you put acopy of XP on an extra computer. ;)

I'm probably a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but I agree with Don. It doesn't matter if the law makes sense or now, it is still a law. When you install XP you have to agree to the EULA, which says don't use it on multiple computers. With that said, I have used 1 copy of XP Pro on two computers, however, I own a copy of Home ED that I have never used. The question is, does owning a new copy of Home entitle me to use a already used copy of Pro? Probably not. However, I just e-mailed Microsoft asking them about using one copy multiple times legally. I should get a message back by 2:00 PM Pacific Time tomorrow. I'll let you know then. Take Care!

mastronaut said:
Some people think it's ok to smoke pot

............... am I THAT easily read? :rolleyes:

Anyways, that's my point exactly and why I said I won't judge. We all pick out own rules and decide which ones to break. Have I pirated software in the past. Yep. Guilty as charged.

But I tend to pay for software that I support. XP is one of them. Antivirus software is another. Nero another etc. To each his own.

I'm not saying I don't support XP, I think as crimes go, I got 'raped' when I purchased my OS! Monopoly? Oh well, I think I'll take my unregistered car out for a drive on the wrong side of the road while sparking up some ganja :rolleyes: . hahahah later!

volume licensing cd's do not require activation. oem cd can be re-installed on same machine even if you have changed hardware. activation requires 7 points out of 10 to pass. hdd, graphic card, cd/dvd, network interface card (nic) m.a.c. (media access control) address, cpu, ram, etc.... mac address is assigned 3 points. the rest 1 point each. now, this info is stored in wpa.dbl in c:\windows\system32.you can back it up and when you re-install it, copy this file for xp to read.

OK. I just emailed Microsoft with the question, and they said that you can only use the copy on one computer, unless you call them and get another license. So no illegal copies guys! :rolleyes:

Honestly, we probably shouldn't be doing this.

what i described above about wpa.dbl is authorized by microsoft. there's nothing illegal about it. it's listed on tech sites as a legitimate fix. it will not work on a new machine. because the new machine will fail the score. :rolleyes:

Whats the big fuss? just ring microsoft say you need a new licnece key as you had to rebuild your pc...blah blah blah...some more bullsh!t...blah blah blah some more lies and hey presto new key...they never say no...Im dont think they are to worried about it..
Its not exactly stealing when you consider what you are dealing with..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back