What to do if you believe your MOBO(motherboard) or processor is fried

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw123

For people who are on TS because of a MOBO or processor problem, I would recommend reading this guide:

Step 1: Find computer temperature
First you will need to find your computer temperature, by placing a thermometer inside the case(with the caseopen ). Record the temperature of the MOBO and processor.

Step 2: Replace the powersupply
Even if you believe your MOBO or processor is fried, you may want to try replacing the powersupply(psu). Go to your computer manufacturers website, or call them at a tech support hotline, and ask them what kind of PSU can be used as a replacment. If this works, it so happened that it was your PSU, not your MOBO or processor :)

If replacing the PSU didn't work...
If your computer is still in warranty, call your computer manufacturer tech support hotline and have them determine the problem. They usually know the answer, but if their suggestion doesn't work, take it to where you bought your computer, if its still under warranty. They sometimes replace your MOBO or processor, whichever is defective.

If you get POST beeps...
Ususally the POST beeps mean there is something wrong with your PSU, MOBO, or Processor. The absolute first thing your going to want to do is make sure your processor fan can spin freely. If it cannot, go to a local circuit city, best buy, or wherever you bought your computer in the first place. They may need to replace the processor(if necessary) or the processor fan. If it is NOT under warranty, it will usually come with a price. You're probably going to need to save up to $400 to have everything replaced or repaired.

This concludes my guide, and if anyone has a problem, especially computer illiterates and newcomers, I strongly recommend reading this guide

Best regards,
sw123

P.S. There is a guide to the POST beeps, this page is accessed HERE

Many motherboards (MSI does) posts CPU and motherboard Temperatures in BIOS (assuming you can get a POST)

If you can't get to the POST, you will need to put a thermometer in your computer and take its temperature

Hello,

Thank you for posting these helpfull step to determine what could be the problem for a mobo or cpu. I am currently trying to solve why my pc is not working. The pc was running and all of the sudden it shut off and will not start again. Replaced the PSU with a new one and still will not power up. Disconnected every piece of hardware only leaving the mobo hooked up to the psu and the new psu will not turn on. Placed only the CPU, HS & FAN, Video Card and 1 stick of RAM and still no luck. I also tried manually turning on the power to the mobo by shorting the two pins where the power switch connects too. The CMOS jumper has also been moved to resset it, but how can it resset with out any power going to the mobo? And to top it all off, the warranty expired almost 2 months ago. So Im on my own here. I already looked closely at all the capacitors to see if any are leaking or swollen but they all look fine. If anyone else has any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot the problem, please help.

if your computer won't POST at all, the motherboard is shot.
You should at least get to BIOS (especially after clearing the CMOS)

To clear the CMOS, if you don't already know, all you have to do is remove the CMOS battery and put it back in. Leave it out for about 5-10 min. If nessecary, leave it out overnight. This sometimes works.

Half of this guide is saying to call your tech support or get a replacment, the other 45% is completly ridiculous statements like place a thermometer in your computer to get the cpu temperture.

I know you had only good intentions, but i think a computer illiterate has enough common sense to call its tech support when something is wrong, and doesn't need a guide to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back