Converting avi. files

Status
Not open for further replies.

prluver

Hey, can anyone please help me out
I have avi. files that I want to put into a dvd. but the thing is that It doesnt accept avi files so can some one please tell what program I can use to convert avi. to wmv. or anything that can be put into dvd.

Thanks,
prluver

I use mainconcept then author with dvdlab pro
learning curve is not that bad
get the trails if you like it buy it
if you want free go to doom webpage and sourceforge there are good apps that do the same thing

Get Nero 7 Ultra Edition, this has Nero Vision, which enables you to create DVD's out of movie files, including avi's

or you could just search on google AVI converter and it will come up with some website that have trial software that you can use which will converter you AVI's to mpeg, wmv, etc..

InterVideo WinDVD creater is pretty easy to use. It lets you make your own menus and take screens/clips/soundbites of your movies. I use it to make my own Naruto DVD's. Plus it lets you convert to DVD, and save the conversion to your HDD (helpful if you want to burn multiple disks).

Only problem i've found with converting .avi to dvd audio/video format is that it takes 2-3 HOURS. And during that time you can barely access IE or anything else. So if you plan to make a DVD or convert .avi files, do it while your at work or classes.

benken why does it take 2-3 hrs, mine took 3hrs 40min but when my friend does it it converts in like 5 seconds then starts burning

i'm really not sure... it works, so i don't question it. But i'd sure like to know if all software takes this long. i'd gladly buy something if it was a 5 second conversion. (my software came with the burner)

mainconcept convert time for 800mb avi is about 10 min dvdlab pro authoring about 10 min if you want just to push a button ,fancy authoring time depends on you
the softs like nero take hours ,rendering engine terrible
lot of avi convert with 1 click buttons don't even work

another good convert is tmpgenc at times a little faster than mainconcept
there's a freebe at sourceforge that does converting just as fast ,but I have not bothered to learn it,can't remember name redub or virtualdub or something like that
I'm happy with what I got

yeah i'm converting like about 6 - 200mb files (about 1.2 gigs .avi) and menu items to about a 4.3gig DVD file. takes me about 2 1/2 hrs.

my friend uses nero like i did and his does this -"Creating menus and transcoding streams" in like 5 seconds using nero vision , do you think its because he was doing a part file avi like 15 win RARs instead of the AVI which i do

oh and Samstoned i just looked on mainconcept site and it says it encodes MPEGs to avi, is that basically the same as what i do on nero vision AVI to DVD?

you can lead a horse to water

I have done about 300 movies with this program ,before that I struggled with the like of nero and other so called converters
I don't know the math on how each one converts algorithms I am new at
what I do know is the final result
I have heard good thing bout virtualdub
but you have to get avi codecs to make it work and the learning curve I just don't have time for

avi to mpg1 mpg2 svcd dvd all use diff rendering dvd is the biggest file
800 mb avi to 1.2gb svcd versus 4gb dvd can't see the diff in movie on TV

good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back