Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultraviolet

Sorry to beg on my first post.

I get this every time I open 'My Videos' folder. The folder consists of, as most peoples do, several other folders of different stars, and inside these are the various videos. AVI, MPEG, DivX, MP4, Xvid etc. I have tried a fresh reload of XP, then created new folders and put all the videos back inside - still crashes. I have copied the entire 'My Videos' folder to my second hard drive (All 75Gigs ) Even then when I open it up, it crashes.

I can play all the videos, I can drag one out onto my desktop as that error box taunts me, everything works fine except Explorer crashing and closing all open folders leaving me back at square one.

I have heard there is some sort of AVI bug, but never found anything of substance to explain it. I use CC Cleaner to fix the registry, and am on XP with Service Pack 2. All updated. Klite Mega pack installed.

Anyone else here have this annoying problem, thanks for any help.

Make sure your folders are not set to 'preview' mode (i.e. you see the contents on the folder) - this has caused crashes for me b4

How do I switch it off? I have checked in TOOLS/FOLDER OPTIONS but can't see preview mode. Sorry to sound dumb, but if I can't see them, how will I use them.

Preview mode is actually 'thumbnails' - sorry 4 confusion! Right click over empty space in the root folder, choose 'view' and select anything but thumbnails

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

Hey it seems to work - you're a genius. Still Bill Gates should hang his head in shame.

It's probably only one video file causing the corruption, but I never found out why it should be so!

usualy caused by bad encoding in the first place.. i record a lot of tv into mpeg and when the signal drops out (high winds blow the antenna silly) it does that glitching thing.. i got fed up with trying to do the 5second open-delete file so i downloaded ExplorerXP and use that to open my videos without crashing...

If you wish to turn thumbnails back on...

go to start -> run and type "regsvr32 /u vsfilter.dll" (without the quotes) and press enter.

Try again, and let us know if the problem still exists or not.

It hasn't happened since I changed everything to ICONS or TILES. I do have another related little problem though, everytime I open My Videos folder my CPU goes to 100%. I have to shut down Explorer, and restart it in Task Manager -warning ending this process could, etc etc. It's all a conspiricy to sell more copies of VISTA.

That is a theoretical fix for the problem (or in other words, I make no guarentees, but it may well be the answer from a logical perspective). It unregisters the dll that at first is causing the problem. Try it, and then try switching back to thumbnail view. If you don't use vobsub video subtitles, you could even unregister and then delete it.

DirectVobSub is simply a DirectShow filter which can be used to display subtitle files created by VobSub during playback in Windows Media Player, PowerDivX NextGen and maybe other players as well
...that's all it does.

now for the simple statement that's hard to follow... Be aware also that if you have both DivX and Xvid codecs installed, you may have a conflict between them, in which case it would be best to uninstall DivX as Xvid can handle playback of DivX files.

I never could find an easy way to say that. lol

hi guys, 1st post. i have the same problem as the original poster. however, when i try to change it to something other than thumbnails it still closes explorer momentarily and when i go back to my videos it gives me the error and is set to thumbnails again :blackeye: . could you please help? also i've tried downloading several programs to play avi files and they all give the "encountered an error" message and crash. avi's played fine in Ares until this problem arose a couple of weeks ago.

bobbo79 said:
hi guys, 1st post. i have the same problem as the original poster. however, when i try to change it to something other than thumbnails it still closes explorer momentarily and when i go back to my videos it gives me the error and is set to thumbnails again

Go to Start/Run/and type - regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll click OK.

Same problem

ultraviolet said:

Sorry to beg on my first post.

I get this every time I open 'My Videos' folder. The folder consists of, as most peoples do, several other folders of different stars, and inside these are the various videos. AVI, MPEG, DivX, MP4, Xvid etc. I have tried a fresh reload of XP, then created new folders and put all the videos back inside - still crashes. I have copied the entire 'My Videos' folder to my second hard drive (All 75Gigs ) Even then when I open it up, it crashes.

I can play all the videos, I can drag one out onto my desktop as that error box taunts me, everything works fine except Explorer crashing and closing all open folders leaving me back at square one.

I have heard there is some sort of AVI bug, but never found anything of substance to explain it. I use CC Cleaner to fix the registry, and am on XP with Service Pack 2. All updated. Klite Mega pack installed.

Anyone else here have this annoying problem, thanks for any help.

Yep Im havgin the same exact problem. It happened to me before and now on a different pc same exact thing. I think the AVI problem might have some thing to do with it since it only does it in my video folder. Sure would like to know the fix! If you find one please post, thanks alot

Great Fix!

detrunks said:
Make sure your folders are not set to 'preview' mode (i.e. you see the contents on the folder) - this has caused crashes for me b4

Sucks I didnt think of that lol, thanks alot, my life has changed for the better lol
I have 200g of movies on that file.

Same problem ehh...kinda

I was having the same problem with opening certain avi files....windows explorer would crash....but if i was quick enough i could attempt to open it with winamp, but of course that crashed as well.... so i tried the start/run regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll, and that fixed windows explorer from crashing but now i can't open the video without winamp or windows media player crashing....any ideas? Any help would be great, thanks!!

Just to be clear, explorer crashes because of bad encoding that affected the thumbnails view of the file. Turning off thumbnails would therefore stop the crashes. If your explorer is crashing because you are trying to play the file (as opposed to just viewing the files in a folder) than it's more likely you have a corrupt video file. Personally, just to ID the problem, I would undo your registry change and turn off thumbnails and then try play the file.

Windows Explorer needs to close error

Hi All

First timer here. I have a problem with the same message stating that explorer has encoubtered a problem and needs to close.

However, this happens when I run "search" on the start menu. I will search for any keyword and as soon as it starts the process, it closes with that message. I get the same when I navigate to windows.

Does anybody know how I can fix this?

I had the same problem as most of you but i done this:

go to start -> run and type "regsvr32 /u vsfilter.dll" (without the quotes) and press enter. from Spike

then nothing happened except a message stating expired or something, i then went into my folder where the problem was it was still the same.

so i then tried the next option which was stated by Peddant

Go to Start/Run/and type - regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll click OK.

which this fixed the roblem

this information is to help those whom are still struggling

please help

hi. im new here. i was just trying out the various methods u guys had mentioned about the avi file crashing and giving error msgs. I downloaded some videos from ares and some seem to work some just say ares or windows media player has encountered a problem and needs to close. I tried all you guys said and i stil have the same problem. is it a bad file or ??

I was having the same problem as described in this thread. All I was trying to do was rename an *.avi file (xvid movie); explorer would crash every time...(vsfilter.dll caused a problem and now explorer will close).

I used AVI Fixed to resolve the problem. Moreover, what was recommended before this thread worked out as well before I used AVI Fixed:
Go to Start/Run/and type - regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll click OK. It helped in renaming the file with no crashing with explorer but that is when I noticed the movie would not play.

Again, it was just one corrupt *.avi movie that was giving me an issue. Repairing the movie did the trick. I am sure that there are more apps out there like AVI Fixed.

Excellent job of diagnosing the problem withe the previous posts. Helped me out plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back