Which is the WORST OS ever created by MS?

Which is the WORST OS ever created by Windows?

• Windows 95

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • Windows 98

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Windows ME

Votes: 81 73.0%
  • Windows 2000

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Windows Vista

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkFiNbowL

Which is the WORST OS ever created by Microsoft?

Which is the WORST OS ever created by Microsoft?

Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows 2000
Windows XP

We won't go into NT and Professional edition and stuff, just the general will do. Please vote, give some comments and share your thoughts with others! Thx!

Boy Shark! You like to stir "stuff" up with your post's.I love it.

Thanks! Anyways, I don't get something. Why is Windows ME the worst OS? What's soo bad about it? I thought everyon is going to choose Windows 95 instead since it's the oldest... therefore the worst.

Plz give comments ... I'd like to hear it!

Oh, sure, don't mention Windows 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.11 or 3.11 for Workgroups....

Actually, Microsoft DOS 4.01 was the worst operating system ever.

My 02 cents,Me just had too much control,just the way Gates likes it.I love my XP Pro other than having to activate or being locked out of your own PC because you added another piece of hardware.I agree with aoj,those were the worst,but look what it evolved too.

ME, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Windows ME has generated more problems than any other OS. Shortly after its release, I worked on more machines with hardware and software problems related directly to ME, than any other OS.

Those older versions of Windows and DOS were not "bad" they just weren't user friendly. I sometime miss the days of those OSes. There was less work for technicians though because there were less users. You actually had to know what youy were doing back then, where now, every monkey out there has a PC and most of them run Windows ME, which makes it an even bigger pain in the ***.

They have made a lot more operating systems than those.. I can't really choose from them - after all, techonology and needs have changed, too.

I didn't mean any of the old OS were bad. I just think they should be added to the list for comparison. Especially Windows 3.x version to compare with 95, 98 and ME.

Myself I'd prefer to return to the old days on MS-DOS 5.0 or maybe even 6.22....

...actually TI Basic on my Texas Instruments TI-99/4A was the most stable operating system I've used. LOL :)

Who voted XP? I'd like to know what you are basing this opinion on.

BTW, Windows 3.x wasn't an OS as much as it was a GUI for DOS.

ME was the worst: it handled memory very poorly and was quite buggy. Windows XP, however, not only manages memory well but also runs quite fast (with the right tweaks). By now most people know how to tweak services and or things within the OS to make sure it always runs smoothly. I've been using XP since its release and have had no major problems to this date. The last OS that I used faithfully had to be 98 (known for its stability) but Windows 2000 was a great OS, too (as XP was built from its architecture).

Windows ME BY FAR, that stupid excuse for an OS gave me more headaches than anything else I can think of. Constant compatibility problems, the blue screen of death - Man what else? If only Microsoft took there time instead of rushing to release it, it would have been so much better. Alas, saying things like this isn't going to change anything so I will shut up for now.

BTW, WHO did vote for XP? I would like to hear some valid reasons for this as I personally think XP is one of the most stable Windows OS's around; along with 2K of course.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Don't you mean the worse OS ever created by Microsoft?

And anyway, its Windows ME hands down.

WInME is just quite frankly bloody awful.

I can't even begin to be bothered going into the full ins and outs, but there are some prime points:

1)What ON EARTH is that horribly slow XP like skin widget set stuff that even runs horribly in XP doing slapped onto something thats Windows 98 Kernel country? Don't be daft, man. Its a total mess and don't deny it. Their implimentation even looks sloppy and slow. Its the XP interface dropped onto the dying embers of 9x, and its horrible....

2)Its another pathetic attempt to squeeze a few last precious drops of $$$ out of the whole DOS / WINDOWS 95 thing.

3)Windows 9x land is full of blue screens, but the number that the average Joe seems to get from ME is four or even five times the norm at least. So many hardware venders went straight from Win98 driver support to Windows 2000/XP and completely forgot about ME.

4)Its not a new operating system, its WIndows 98 with a service pack and a new lot of flashy crap that makes your machine run slowly. Get a grip and get XP, or at least 2000.

5)If you must run WIn9x at all these days, then run Windows 98 - the latest edition that you can find. Its still got DOS, which can be VERY useful, whereas ME makes it harder to access DOS with Windows shutdown.

6)Its called ME - which is Millenium Edition. A last, post year 2000 attempt to make a little bit more money out of the whole Millenium Bug thing, which turned out to be a false alarm.

Win Me here too...

Why, because it crashed frequently and horribly...
Worst (and last) time it did, it took (allmost) every program on the drive with it... And all I did was install a driver! (Though I had gotten 4 or 5 BSOD's the last hour before it happened...)

Win95 was a great OS when it came... Yes, there were problems with it, but it made using a computer much more easy... What did puzzle me about win95 though was that beta 3 was much better than the final product... Maybe they didn't manage to remove the Plus! package as easy as they'd hoped... But it didn't work much better when you installed plus!...

Oh, well... I'm longing for the days of DOS and when the fastest internet/bbs access you could get was 28.8... Man, those were the days!

Windows ME. I had WinME for about two months and had to format and reinstall numerous times. Each time I still had the same problem. Almost every program especially media player would shut down within 5 minutes of opening it.

Windows 3.1 is NOT an operating system. Windows 3.1 ran 100% on the DOS operating system. DOS was the operating system not Windows. I had used DOS since DOS 3x :).

I miss DOS :( well.. sort of.. it was so stable.. and even when a program crashed you just got thrown back to the command prompt hehe. so much better than a full lockup!

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
Win Me here too...

Oh, well... I'm longing for the days of DOS and when the fastest internet/bbs access you could get was 28.8... Man, those were the days!

hehe dude I ran a BBS for a while on a 2400bps modem! That was back in the DAY! I think was around RIGHT when 14.4 came out. I also was a co-sysop on one or two other BBS's. I caused trouble lots of time on the boards haha.. was SO fun. I miss it terribly!

I remember when I was running my board on WWIV, and my monitor went dead. I got so used to the commands on WWIV that I was typing mail to people on the boards to tell them to let everyone know that my monitor was dead and that I would be back soon. Now those are SKILLZ! lol

This thread is a little meaningless, as no definition of 'worst' has been provided. Its true that many users (self included) has had problems with Windows ME, but that doesn't mean that it is an inferior OS. Any OS does not operate in isolation, and I certainly know of users (self included - after fixing initial teething problems) that have had very little problem with ME.

Windows 95 was way inferior and everytime it booted it would misreport the hardware in your PC and inform you that you had 7 hard drives, when you only had 1. It also didn't last long before a rebuild was in order.

The only reason ME has had teething problems was because of the new requirements it posed on both software and hardware in an attempt to make it a more reliable OS.

Unfortunately, as ME was a dying breed (the last win9x OS) it never really got a chance to mature fully, and was, as others suggest, a pointless exercise by Microsoft to get max $$$ from users before switching to XP.

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi

You just need Linux in your life.

That DOES take me back to the days of DOS. It takes me back to the days where I used to program and use my BBC Micro Computer...

acorn_bb.jpg

...Or even my old Dragon32

dragon32.jpg

LOL :p

WinME is the worst ever
WinXP sux a lot too, IMHO

Win2K is the best of all Win OSes IMHO again

Linux distros tend to become more & more compatible with all the new hardware stuff (usb2, nforce mobos, firewire, wifi, etc) so as I'm dont with school in 1 month i'll switch 90% on linux :p already began my coming out hehe

Originally posted by Phantasm66
You just need Linux in your life.

I know, I use it at the Uni...

But it just isn't the same as trying to figure out how to load sound and mouse drivers into memory without going under 620k free memory...
(And without using QMM as it made loading windows 3.11 an impossibility... And without Windows, no internet access...)

Acid> Wow... You were a SysOp with a 2400baud connection?!? I started using BBS' at that time, but I prefer the time with 28.8k.... Only annoying thing about it was the cost of long distance calls at that time...

DA> Thank you for the correction :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back