Suggestion for new forum category

acidosmosis

I think it might be nice if we had a section for Programming. I am getting into it a lot lately, and I know a lot of people on the board here dabble in programming.

I would say Visual Basic, Visual C++, Delphi.. and other languages would be some of the main languages that might be discussed if we had a category for it.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

great idea

there are probably several others as well...........:grinthumb

This is the main forum that I participate in. Actually probably only the real forum I participate in. I browse Rage3D every now and then to keep up with any new news as far as games and other things, so IMO personally for myself I know it would be really convenient to have a place on here for Programming discussion. Having one would encourage it, as opposed to posting threads in other areas that dont have anything to do with programming.

At first I was going to start learning Visual Basic, but I moved on to Visual C++ 6 and am going to start from there.

Right now I am reading up on a 700 pg. book. I'm not at home so I'm not sure, but I think it is "Learn Visual C++ in 21 days".

Once I get the hang of being able to do some things on my own, I might start out with a simple program like a small text adventure and move from there to something a little harder like a screen saver written in C++ to work on learning some basic graphics.

I also am a advanced 3D Studio Max user so that would really help out someday if I ever want to use .3ds models, but that is pretty far in the future. Right now I just want to learn the basic usage of VC++ and go from there.

Yes, very good idea, this is kinda missing here

i'm a developer in fact ;)

VC++ 6 , VB6, Delphi 5-7, Java, COBOL (not too much heheh), etc

also PHP JSP ASP, JS, VBS, VBA

we should have 2 categories though, web oriented and application oriented langauges ;)

Although I think that it should be in place of another forum category, not as well as. Indeed, I think some pruning here might be called for.

Didn't we try this once? Right after we changed to vBulletin? I think it flopped and we removed it. But if there is renewed interest I don't see it being a bad thing to try it again.

Originally posted by DigitAlex
Yes, very good idea, this is kinda missing here

we should have 2 categories though, web oriented and application oriented langauges ;)

Sounds good to me.

If the forum had a decent response I would say have a category for "Programming" and sub-categories for something like;

Web Programming (like DA suggested -- for PHP, javascript, etc)

Visual C++/Basic/FoxPro (anything related to MS Visual programming languages)

then maybe "Other Programming Languages"

...basing this opinion on what programming categories I think might have the greatest potential for a good response.

If Programming just doesnt end up being a very participated discussion I would say maybe just have one small category "Programming" or something like that.

Anyway, its up to whoever actually implements it. Being a programming amateur I dont know what the heck I'm talking about in the first place. lol. Hmm.. I'm pickin it up pretty quick though. Hopefully I'll be able to do something decent within a month or two with VC++.

I am sure it can be arranged, however.... bare this in mind: A programmers forum means you have to talk about programming in it. Failure to do so will mean that the forum section will be removed, and next time someone suggests the idea again, getting it done will be harder. Think about this before you ask for it - will you actually be posting serious programming questions in it???? If you are a beginner, will you be asking serious, well thought out questions there???

If you guys all want to start jabbering about C++, Visual Basic, Java, SQL, VC# and all that fine - I will likely try to join you in something maybe at least about BASH shell scripting or python or something - but you really have to ask yourself "Is this the site for it???? If plenty of people believe that it is, then I guess its simple for Julio to do so if he agrees, which if there was sufficient interest he most likely would I guess.

Well, is that such a really big problem to leave the section even if there is not THAT much activity ?

i mean there are dedicated programming websites, but having some stuff on techspot might be cool, it's not like Julio or someone would have to pay to add a new section, right ?

Well, I think it is a bad idea to leave a forum open even if its barely used at all.

I think perhaps there is too much diversity in the forum sections, in the past there used to be far fewer and sometimes I think that that system worked better. Some of the older members should recall what I mean......

i remember that there was a programming section when I joined TS and it was gone a little bit after due to a lack of activity

Originally posted by DigitAlex
i remember that there was a programming section when I joined TS and it was gone a little bit after due to a lack of activity

Originally posted by SNGX1275 earlier in the thread
Didn't we try this once? Right after we changed to vBulletin? I think it flopped and we removed it.

I think its an excellent idea. I have been 'dabbling' in VB for a little while and have questions and would like to learn more.

I am a software engineer/developer so I am definitely up for it. It will be mainly for 'recreational' programmers I suspect, as other sites are more oriented towards hard core developers.

One reason I suggested this is I noticed that a lot of us do some programming as a hobbie, and to mainly learn more. As far as computers, I am one of those people that just can't get enough. I want to learn everything I can. When I was about 12 I programmed some in QBasic and Turbo Pascal 7. This was back when I had never even used the Internet and was visiting local BBS's in the area and that was the only, should I say "wide area network" that I had used. I say wide area because most of the boards in the area had message boards that were connected to lots of others in the U.S., sometimes hundreds of BBS's, which was really cool. After a while of messing around I quit playing with programming and started concentrating on learning other things. Now that I know a whole lot more about computers I feel it is time to start learning more Networking and Programming because those are the two things I know very little about. A lot of us are interested in programming and I'm sure we could be of help to each other. I thought it would be a good idea to have a programming category to encourage talking about it here. Lately it has been confined to the IRC room. This way we could extend our knowledge to everyone else that doesn't visit the IRC room.

about the IRC channel : THEY HAVE TO VISIT IT !!!!!

lol :)

we'd like more animation in there, some more people to kick maybe too ;)

hm

Yea it would be nice if some more people visited the IRC room. Although sometimes, like lately, their has been so much animation that I couldn't keep up while doing whatever else I was doing and just kept MIRC minimized :). Then there are those nights where no one talks for hours (thats usually when I have nothing to do). Go figure. hehe

It also seems like when I have a question I know a specific person can help me with, they are AFK or not in the room. Doh! heh

Back