"IRQL not less or equal" and "Bugcode_usb_driver" errors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upon booting up i get a BSOD,with either the "IRQL not less or equal" or the "Bugcode_usb_driver" message.Most often it points to the files
usbuhci.sys or usbport.sys and rarely to others (mostly usb related) as well.I have to reset several times until it finally gets till winxp.If the pc was off
for a long time, it takes about an hour till it finally boots to Windows, making a small step each time i try (at first it shows nothing,then it stops at
the bios screen, then at the winxp logo etc). If the pc is finally on it may be stable for some time(from 30min to a few hours) but then i get a BSOD
again.If i try to reset then, it boots almost immediately.I've noticed that if i unplug the pc off the wall and plug it in again before resetting, it makes
progress faster. The only (hardware) change i've made to the pc is i disabled the onboard soundcard, and i installed an Audigy 2. I've also
noticed that if i have any usb devices connected, it is almost impossible to boot up. Finally i can sometimes predict when the BSOD is coming,
because of the change of the fan's noise,like during or when i'm exiting a game. I suspect this to be a overheating/power supply/"irq conflict"
problem.What do you think? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.This is driving me insane!
My PC specs: Intel P4 3.2Ghz / WinXP SP2 / 1GB Ram / ATI Radeon X1300 / 160GB HD / SB Audigy 2

to me that sounds like an overheating problem. how manny external fans do u have (that beeing fans that blow air in and out of u'r system?)

Sounds like a possible HDD corruption and or RAM issue.

Have you ran CHKDSK /R?

Pull out your RAM and install one at a time and see if you have the same problems.

You can also run memtest to see if the RAM is an issue

If your internet connection connects to your pc via usb that could cause the problem!!!!!

Thank you for your replies.Unfortunately i don't have a floppy drive to run memtest.Could i run it on a cdrom or something instead and how? Also this didn't happen the first six months i had the pc.Could RAM go bad by itself? And about this being a problem with my usb modem, this also happened a while before i had one.As i said though with more (usb)devices connected, the pc will no way boot up.I've read somewhere there may be conflict issues between Radeon amd Audigy cards.Could this mean anything?

I will tell you a little story!!!!

A friend of mine has a bulldog connection running via usb. It constantly played up, caused usb errors, and his pc bsod'ed at leat twice a day!!!

He went and got a router with built in usb modem and his pc hasn't bsod'ed or played up since!!!!

Problem solved (hopefully)

I think i have solved this problem since it's about five days without a single BSOD.What i did was i completely removed my old HP PSC 500 all-in-one printer and reinstalled its drivers(the ones that come with WinXP not the printer!).Actually i did this because i needed to print and my other printer (epson stylus dx4800 usb) had run out of ink.But when i tried printing with the HP it wouldn't print right.So i reinstalled the drivers and since then everything works great! So if you have the same problem first check your drivers, especially for older devices.Hope this helps and hope this problem is gone for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back