Bioshock Low FPS with nVidia 8800 GTX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis_84

Hello everyone,
I have intel 6420 core 2 duo 2.13 GHz, 2 GB Memory, nVidia 8800 GTX, 1000 W PSU, but still I am getting low FPS in BioShock with everything maxed out.
Is anyone having same problem with similar system?
Do you think If I add up another 1 GB Memory to it, will it run perfect or no?

Thanks for help.

Your system is VERY good, so no need to upgrade

Go here:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

You have to download the ActiveX from the site for the test to work.

Run a test for BioShock and see if you pass or not ( you probably will but it's good to check )

Also, have you tried to update your videocard drivers?

Are you running Vista?

Have you scaned for Viruses / Malware?

Hope I helped

The game runs fine with these specs, but sometimes FPS gets low and I was just wondering having 4 GB of Ram will improve it or not?

yes, I do have that driver, but still not big difference. That's why I am thinking about upgrading Memory to 4 GB.

when you said low FPS, how low are we talking about? =]
or does your game shutter and lag? if not low fps than you shouldn't concern about it. Smooth game-play is what matter [for me anyway hehe]

The fps drops down to 30. And when you move the camera, it's gets blurry. But if I turn off the Vertical sync, the fps stays at above 50 all the time, but the screen splits a lot and it's kind of annoying.
That's why I am thinking about adding extra memory because I don't think it's the video card. I have 8800 Gtx and one should be good enough.
so insted of dueling the video card, if I just add up a ram, will it improve the performance?

Still hasn't answered if you're running Vista or XP. The game has an auto patcher included which will scan your version of Direct X and your video drivers. The program will automatically update your Direct X version, but will ask you if you want to download the current version. In addition, regardless of which OS you're running, an increase in RAM from 1 to 2 gigs will help with performance. Although I was a little leary to update my drivers to 163.44 since they are beta's, it did provide a drastic improvement in the video performance. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that sometime soon, NVIDIA will re-release this version as a WHQL driver. Beta's will sometimes conflict with the system when running some programs leading to the BSOD.

I have Vista. and I already have 2 GB of Ram, but I am trying to upgrade it to 4 GB. I have contacted Dell and the rep told me that yes there will be an improvement in performance, but I am asking you because the dell rep hasn't tried it, and one of you might have the smiler specs as mine with 4 GB of Memory and know how the game runs with 4 gb ram.

No, a 32bit OS only has a virtual address space of 4gb in total, in there the memory maps for all your add in cards etc must also fit

So if you have a 512mb GFX card you loose 0.5GB right there

The OS has 2gb reserved for kernel space, so any application can only use a max of 2gb of memory (this can be increased to 3gb for apps and 1gb for kernel with the /3GB boot.ini switch) this in itself can cause many problems since most apps are written to expect a max of 2gb memory. And kernel drivers are oftenly written to expect 2gb of memory, not 1gb

http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3034

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3044

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=3060

I pretty much have the same setup with a better processor. And I get about 60fps average. Idk what's wrong with yours. Mabye it's b/c I have Vista 64-bit?

It might be 64-bit, can't tell without trying. can you tell me how much does it cost to upgrade to 64-bit and how easy it is to upgrade to 64-bit from 32-bit?
I do have 64 bit processor and my system is capable for 64 bit but I just don't know how to install 64 bit. so can you please tell me how hard it is to install 64 bit?

Well, the retail versions of Vista come in both 32-bit and 64-bit (if you don't have the CD's you can just request them from Microsoft and they will send them to you)

For XP 64 bit you will have to buy that... Price is same as for 32bit version...

As for the difficulty to install part, well, it's exactly the same as 32bit, however, it might be a bit harder (or impossible) to find drivers... So research that part first

And lastly you probably wont gain any performance from running 64 bit OS, only for very specific needs/apps is it a good idea

Probably the best thing you could do -Dennis_84-(if you haven't already) is turn down the anti aliasing to 4x super sampling or 4x multi sampling because the card uses the luminex engine and cover sampling anti aliasing.

I'm having the same problem with my computer and Bioshock. I get at the most 30FPS with everything maxed out. Here are my spec's:

- Nvidia 8800GTX
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz
- 2GB's of RAM
- 1000W PSU

oh, so basically the 64 bit is free which you can just order from Microsoft, right? but I am concerned about drivers. because I have read other reviews and they all said the same thing that there aren't lots of software compatible with 64 bit OS, and also hardware drivers are hard to find. But I am not using a hell lot of software and the printer I have has driver available for 64 bit and other hardware I have are also compatible with 64 bit, like graphics card, sound card and other stuff so what do you think, I should go with 64 bit or just stick with 32 bit for a while? because I have just ordered 2 Gb of ram from dell because it was great deal and I also had their $20.00 off coupon so it didn't cost lots of money so I ordered 2 gb of ram.
Please help me with this, specially users with 64 bit of os. thanks.

Sorry, it's hard to give a definitive recommendation

About the OS, I think if you have the OEM version of Vista you can not get the 64 bit version for free, atleast that's how I think it works, i.e. only applies for the Retail version...

for now I am just going to stick with 32 bit because I checked that some of the software I have are only compatible with 32 bit version of vista. so probably it's a good idea to wait a year or so until most of the things are compatible with 64-bit.

I'm running Bioshock maxed out with a geforce 7900GTX, XP 32bit and 2 gigs of ram

everythings running perfectly smooth.. no problems...

so its probably something to do with vista... maybe 2K have yet to release some drivers for vista support? maybe something to do with DX10?

I doubt it has anything to do with 32 bit/64bit

unless you DO upgrade to 4gigs or ram, you should stick with 32 bit

there shouldnt be any trouble.

Do you even have vertical sync on ? because that makes a big difference in performance. I get good performance with vertical sync off but the screen tears a lot. And with on the fps stays at about 30 when there is lighting, fire and you know that kind of stuff. If there is a dark and narrow corridor the fps stays at 60 even with vertical sync on.
I am just worried about Crysis, wonder how that will run? The demo is coming out on Sept. 24th so I will find out soon.

yeah, vsync does that.

The reason is that D3D can't start drawing the next frame until your monitor refreshes (until the vertical sync happens in a VGA signal). So if it takes even a microsecond longer to render than for your monitor to refresh, the program ends up waiting for the next vsync and FPS halfs. So as a result, your FPS on a 60Hz monitor can only be one of 60, 30, (or 20, 15, 12, 10) when you use vsync.

A solution is either to up frequency (if your old crt was running at 120hz, dropping down to 60 or 40 wouldn't be so bad). Or to turn on triple buffering. With a third buffer (in addition to the front and back) D3D doesn't have to stop working. However, extra buffers introduce lag. After you move your mouse, you'll have to wait an extra frame before seeing the response. At 55FPS, this isn't so bad. At 20, it can be pretty annoying. It also really depends on the game.

vsync is sometimes more trouble than it's worth, but tearing is really fn annoying. it's too bad most people don't really know what it is.

The demo is coming out on Sept. 24th

Actually, EA said they'll discontinue the demo because Halo 3 ( I hate that game so much ) is coming out the same day

It said it on G4TV.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back