No Master Ide Hdd Detected!!!! Helppp!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jase123

Recently ive jus put in a new mobo... i connected my hdd up with an ide cable but when i boot it always says "NO MASTER IDE HDD DETECTED" and i always have to press f1 to continue..... Please someone help mee...... help greatly appreciated...... thanks!!

Your bold and 6 exclamation marks and plea for help don't get questions answered any faster around here.

With your lack of details on what you tried to fix the problem I'm going to suggest that you set the jumpers on the IDE drive as Master.

If you managed to do that, I would next make sure the BIOS can see the drive and that it is set to boot from that drive, or a cd drive first then that drive.

Failing that check to make sure you properly seated the cable then finally, try a new IDE cable.

Please read the posting guidelines found in the link in my signature.

how do you set the jumpers on the ide drive as master??? what do you do?? ive tried a new ide cable and i have the same problem..

when i set the jumper as master on the hdd it won't boot then so i have to put it back to cable

Wow dude, you screwed up again, are you intentionally trying to go against every one of those guidelines?

You just move the jumper to different pins, its clearly labeled on the hard drive itself.

"It won't boot" is incredibly vague and I'm not going to go over all the possible things you could mean from that when you aren't even trying to make a decent post here.

have u set the BIOS to boot to the hard drive first or second? and stop with the stupid posts...

first.. but everytime i turn my pc on it always says " NO MASTER IDE DTECTED" and i always have to press f1 to continue

If its saying that you either don't have it set as master or you've configured your BIOS improperly. I guess other possibilities would be you don't have the drive plugged in, no ide cable, bad ide cable, bad motherboard. But I'm 98% sure its user error.

I'm afraid of the implications of this questions, but do you have an OS installed on this drive? Maybe it won't matter because if you keep up with the bold you are going to get a temp ban.

yes i have an o/s installed

right ive tried 2 ide cables so it can't be that... checked that all cables are plugged in correctly.. motherboard is fine.. its new... i even put the jumper on the hard drive to the master setting..... but when i put it to the master setting it jus wont come onto windows and says select a boot device.... tried all settings in bios but no luck its still saying "no master ide detected"

im just a bit fed up of pressing f1 all the time lol

Is this hard drive and OS off of a different motherboard you have already installed Windows on or is this a fresh install? After rereading your first post I guess it's a fresh install?

Are there any other drives installed on the IDE cable?

hi the hdd is of another motherboard yes... im using a new ide cable and i have done a fresh install but still it says "no master ide hdd detected"

Try swapping the power connector and remove the jumper from the hard drive, then go into the Bios and ensure you harddrive is there under bootable options and remove any CDs from the CD drive.

im removing the white jumper that is on the hard drive ... and yes i did replace the copy of windows...

if i move the jumper to another place or actually remove it ... it jus wont boot and keeps sayin please go back and select a boot device and then press a key so i after to put the jumper back to its original place which is set to cable/

but its never said this before even though i replaced the copy of windows .. its ever since i put a new motherboard in if thats any help to you

Could you tell us exactly what make and model the drive is?
And sorry not to understand, but if you cannot get the board to see the drive, how did you install windows?

Hi Albertlionheart my drive is a western digital ..model: wd1600bb... well when i enter bios i select first boot device as my hdd but still its says "NO MASTER IDE DETECTED and i installed windows from a disk.

I think I see a couple of problems here. The lesser problem is the jumper issue. Do you have another IDE device, such as a CD drive, attached to the same cable as the hard drive? If so, device on the end of the cable should be set to master and the middle device should be set to slave. If your system supports cable select and you wish to use it, BOTH devices should be set to CS.

The other issue is you are using a hard drive that was installed and formatted on another motherboard. The hard drive has drivers for and is configured for the old motherboard. When you switched motherboards, you need to perform a Windows repair or if that doesn't work, reformat and reinstall Windows on the hard drive. Unless the new motherboard is identical to the old one, it is not a plug and play device.

In the BIOS set the first boot device as your CD drive, save and exit. Put the Windows CD into the drive tray and reboot. Go from there.

One other issue you might encounter is activating Windows after the reinstall. An OEM version is tied to the original motherboard it was installed with. Technically you aren't supposed to be able to install it with any other motherboard. You might have to telephone Microsoft to activate Windows and I suppose there is a possibility they won't let you. Then you would have to buy another copy. If you have a retail version of Windows, you should not have that problem.

Hi mailpup. If you look at the first post, Jase123 says he installed a copy of XP on this drive using the existing board. What is happening (if I understand what he is saying) is that he cannot get into the system without an F1 and sometimes a reboot.

Ok... This thread woul've been a lot shorter if you would've followed the guidelines

How many hard drives do you have?

Have you tryed setting the jumper fo Cable select setting
and then setted the bios for optimized defaults?

Did you made enough presurre at the other end of the cable by the mother board?

Did you drop the Daam thing?

Does the IDE cable on ly has that hard drive connected?(no other IDE devices)

-------
sometimes , if you have two hard drives with , the umpers wrongfully
setup a conflict occurs.

the hdd is of another motherboard
Albert, this quote is from post #11. This is what leads me to believe when he put in a new motherboard (as his first post says), he just tried to connect the existing hard drive (with XP already installed with the old mobo) and boot up. Unless the new motherboard and the old one are identical or nearly so, he is likely to have trouble.

In his original post he never said he installed XP at his time, only that he connected his hard drive. Maybe that's what he meant but that's not what he said. So if he only connected his hard drive without repairing or formatting, that would be consistent with his hard drive not being recognized.

That said, I could have misinterpreted what he said since it has been difficult to follow and understand his posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back