Mac OSX x86

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynesy

Can we talk about the Mac OSX x86 project on here as long as we have a warning that it is illegal and give no links to downloads?
cheers
Hynesy

Should have phrased it better, alot of hackers would wide have hacked OS X to run on normal PC's both intel and AMD architecture. This is obviously illegal and just wondering if we can talk about it here.

The legality of reverse engineering stuff depends on the country and IMHO is not against basic morality.

If you think that you have something to say, do it. Just remember that you are on thin ice and don't be mad when we just delete everything :p

OK exactly what I expected, excellent.
Has anyone used OSX x86 on a normal PC, because when I installed it on my PC it ran but was a bit laggy. Anyone else have this problem?

If you look in the TS gallery I believe someone posted a pic of such software running on a home-made computer, try to ask him/her how the system worked.

I would like to ask why its illegal. I get that its for macs and not made for PCs, but if someone can get it to work on a PC it should be ok...they would still have to pay for the OS software. If they get it like off limewire or something like that, then i can understand, but i think its just silly that its illegal to cross brand it.

just my thoughts.

regards,
trevorlclan

Because you purchase a license to use the OS in ways intended by the software author in this case Apple & Apple forbids using it on anything other than a Mac. You mostly have the DMCA to thank for that.

I don't know why they won't release it for PC, their market share would soar, I certainly would buy it even if it had a heavy price tag.

The current basis of the OS X experience is controlling both ends of the equation, hardware and software, so Macs don't suffer from so called incompatibilities of sorts like Windows Vista because it's only being run in known configurations.

As for discussing OS X x86, I believe we can keep it legal as long as we don't point to illegal downloads.

Yep. Good idea...I’m dual booting with WindowsVISTA Ultimate & Tiger 10.4.10 , had some problems at first but I worked them out. It’s pretty cool.
So... what are we going to talk about?

Hypothetically, If one such as myself were to attempt to dual boot OSX onto my PC would it be easy to accomplish?

Cool, I might give it a shot. Basics? depends on what you consider bascics. But i reckon I can manage it. My mum has a copy of OSX 10.4 Tiger so Ill try it sometime.

Let me give you an update on OS X after a few weeks of using Leopard (on Apple hardware)... "move along, nothing to see here"

Seriously, is just as nice as Vista can be, maybe a little less hard drive thrashing but just as buggy and unstable XP or Vista can be. Actually, neither of those versions of Windows have a bug that disables your keyboard completely and forces you to restart (OS X does).

I haven't had problems so far with it & where it does stand head above Windows (even Vista) is with Exposé. Flip3D although visually pleasing does not make it easier to manage lots of windows at the same time, Exposé does.

I've been running it for about a month now, I've had no problems with it at all. It is MUCH improved over Tiger for handling Windows machines on the network. Previously you had to double click network, then your machine, then login and check the "Remember in Keychain" box even though it never would (this happens in 10.3 and 10.4). Now in Leopard you already have your network computers visible in the left pane (no double clicking network), then a single click to them connects you (no more logging in after the first time, even after restarts).

Other than that it seems about the same as Tiger. Although TimeMachine is pretty slick, just got that set up a couple days ago.

I thoroughly bricked my hard drive trying to do this; I'm typing this on my PS3. :p Ain't going to stop me trying again though.

I am using a hackintosh Leopard version 10.5.1, works flawlessly on my hardware, in fact it works better than Vista, now all I use it Leopard. That is a big deal, because I was a really windows fan boy.

hynesy said:
I am using a hackintosh Leopard version 10.5.1, works flawlessly on my hardware, in fact it works better than Vista, now all I use it Leopard. That is a big deal, because I was a really windows fan boy.

where did you get the iso?

If I told you I would be putting techspot in quite a legal predicament not to mention myself getting banned on this forum. Although i can give you a hint. Google.
cheers
hynesy

Bigfellla said:
where did you get the iso?
You can purchase the MacOSX Leopard operating system from the Apple website or you can get it at any Apple store. As hynesy just said it is not allowed to discuss means of downloading the ISO here.

hynesy said:
I don't know why they won't release it for PC, their market share would soar, I certainly would buy it even if it had a heavy price tag.

I completely agree with you but then it would hurt Mac's hardware sales. Just look at their computers. They offer a Macbook with 1GB DDR2-667 and for an upgrade to 4GB DDR2-667 they charge $850. Any sane person could upgrade it themselves for $80 but for some reason they want to charge a 10X price premium.

I'd love to switch to a Mac OS but there's no way I will buy their hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back