Bios password Dell latitude D600

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that someone will be able to help me with a BIOS password for a Dell D600.
The service tag is JGY741J-595B.
The HDD lock (of which I know the password) says #*****3MZ319-595B.

Story: I took the laptop over from my company when all computers were replaced by a newly hired service provider (IBM). The previous IT service provider had put in the password and left. Obviously these guys cannot be traced anymore to get the password or a bill for this particular laptop of a few years old (if existing, guess they bought them in one big order). So Dell does not help.

In fact it is not such a big problem, just annoying. Obviously I know the HDD password, deleted the old windows, ran FDISK to remove the DOS partition, and installed Linux Ubuntu from CD. The annoying thing is that I cannot change the date/time (is blocked).

Thanks if someone can help out.

Ruud

Do a search of this forum. There are ample posts regarding this subject about the D600 password.

Bios password solutions do not seem to work with Dell latitude -595B

LS

Thanks for the tip. I read that solutions like latitude.exe and latitude masterPW.exe do not work with a service tag ending with 595B (indeed I tried, does not work). Some other executables Itried from the internet do not work either. Removing the CMOS battery does not work as the pw is on an eprom. The motherboard has no dip switches. Only there seems to be a method to shortcut something (paperclip method), but no clear description what&how. There must be something else as a contibuter named "rustam" seems to know a trick, but he does not seem active anymore.

Thanks for further tips and/or ideas.

Ruud

Rustam becomes active periodically. But I am not sure he has ever come up with a fix for the D600 model.

The D600 is an unusually tough one. The paper clip and other shorting techniques do not work for us on that model, nor does anything else we have tried.. We have never been successful with any password removals on the Dell D600. The -595B on the end of the Service Tag is evidence that the laptop was serviced by Dell, and the EEPROM was effectively changed by them before released to the secondary market...
Your best hope is to get to the "...previous IT service provider had put in the password and left..." for which there should have been some sort of follow-up service built into the original contract. Otherwise, somebody snagged your company.

Best chance is to replace the motherboard, with a known good one... cost is about $55 to $105 depending on wher you go... but the ones on eBay are usually already damaged with this problem you have.

Dell D600 Bios pw reset

Dear Raybay,

I see that there is a post with a clear discription of the shortcut method. Though I understand that it does not seem to work for a D600, I will give it a try anyway in the next few weeks (also for the challenge) and post an answer.

I will not buy a motherboard as I can use the laptop (knowing the HDD password) and it is working fine (just annoying the time and so are blocked)

Regarding the former service provider. It is not so much of poor contract as well as no organisation. With them there was one "senior" guy of 30 years, the rest temp wizkids of about 22 years (very good indeed) but changing by the day, no documentaion and hardly any organisation. Good, but messy. After a while everybody is gone and no way you will get anything afterwards. A good contract would not have helped much...

Thanks again for the input.

Ruud

If you ever discover a fix, let us know, because the D600 and D620 have been major problems. I even suspect the problem is not just a password issue but a defective Dell... but cannot prove it, although there are great numbers of them that are bad.
The D600 and D620 were sold or leased, mainly to government and corporate for use by sales and field staff. At the end of the lease period, Dell disabled components on them through Dell-authorized technicians so that the restore disks, and other software could not be made available free (a Microsoft requirement).
Then some reseller outfit got them for $50 each and resold them at high prices.

you can remove the bios configuration password by changing or deleting the service tag. this can be done with the dst-cd:

Moderator Edit:
Free Help Here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic90285.html

download the dst-cd (password for the zip file is 'smellyalater')
burn the iso as a cd
boot the laptop with the cd
if cd drive is not available from the boot order/setup press f12 during the boot post to access the one time boot menu
once you run the cd its pretty much self explaining....

good luck!
mscrx

raybay, did you try to read the eeprom? i know exactly, that there's eeprom on this MB. read eeprom, post dump, i'll tell you the password :)

lamo, can you tell me how you do that? and how do you dump the eeprom if you can't access the laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back