0x0000008E intermitent stop error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a newbie to techspot so hi to all..

I have read the other posts regarding this stop error id and will investigate further using these guides when my brother is able to give me some time as i am not pc literate enough to start digging etc, hardware or s/w wise with any degree of confidenece..

In the meantime is it possible that somebody may help point me in the right direction please...basically i have had my Dell for 2-3 years. Running XP SP2.
I swapped the original cd drive out for a Samsung dvd/cd rw combo which worked fine. I then some time back upgraded my Ram with and additional 256k stick. All seemed ok..However every now and again when i load a cd into the cd drive and this seems to be more with new unused media (mmaybe that is a coincidence?) when the drive closes and reads the media this stop error screen appears. It is definitely intermitent because its happened only a few times over the past year or so which i thought may just be a one or two off and i have just placed and original software disk in the drive and it hasn't happened. I was also able to use new media for copying yesterday with no probs..but it has happened about 6 times in the last 8 attempts of trying to use the drive..

Other than this the system appears fine on boot up and useage although it is getting sluggish but thats to be expected with the s/w i have accumulated.

Is this possibly driver or ram related or is it much worse?..i hope not of course..but i have saved the full detail report if required..

thanks in advance

chewy

update - just to add..this has just happened again using used media and also one of the very few times on boot up..system is now running and appears stable but am reluctant to use the cd drive for obvious reasons..

can anybody help please..thanks

ok....i have done a bit of digging and think (and hope) that i may have found the problem..it would appear so but you never know...

here is the resolution (again i hope) just in case anybody else has this issue or similar:

i found that since ihad my system i had a version of Pinnacle Instant Drive cd/dvd copy on there already installed......at some stage in the past i had used this to create a cd/dvd image and it looks like it had commandeered the e: drive...when i looked in device manager with ref to cd/dvd drive drivers to see if uninstalling/reinstlaling would be a good first step i noticed that there were two entries..one for my Samsung d: drive and one that i believed related to the Pinnacle image drive..(the word instant in the header was a give away lol)

In short, i uninstalled this program which in turn removed the second entry in device manager and also removed the e drive as such from view...

After rebooting i have since been able to view cd's, copy to and from the cd drive, all so far without the system falling over...

i'm now hoping that this may be the end of it..watch this space..

thanks for the help and advice

chewbacker...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back