1 computer on a network suddenly now has slow file transfer on internet and network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have 5 computers on a home network, 4 Windows XP and one Redhat Linux Fedora Core 4. About a month ago, one of the windows boxes suddenly went from about 550Kb/s download to 100Kb/s download from various newsgroups. Also, when trying to pull AND push files to that same box, it is a very slow file transfer.

I didn't load any new software in that time and I waited so long because at the time, the newsgroup server that I am using reported problems associated with Hurricane Rita. This of course doesn't explain the network speed.

I've run speed tests on all the other computers, and they all report download speeds of about 550Kb/s and upload speeds of about 45Kb/s except the one, and it has download speeds of about 100Kb/s and upload speeds the same, about 45Kb/s.

After I noticed the speed reduction, I loaded a firewall, ** Protowall ** and I downloaded the latest beta of Microsoft Anti-Spyware and ran it. Also, I have Norton with the latest updates and it reports no problems.

Please, let me know if you need more info or if someone had any general tips to try. I am about at the end of my rope and reformatting looks like the only other option to me.

Thanks!

Mike in Ohio

Edit: Forgot to say, I went to 3 differnt speed testing web sites, and they all report the download speed the same on that one box, about 100Kb/s and the others are around 500Kb/s

Are all the computers wired similarly? All run to the same router/switch?

You should check the cable of the problematic machine, try using ping to the router with 1400 byte packets. Also, boot up some CD Linux or equivalent and see what speeds you get from there - helps to rule out any problems with the operating system.

maybe somethin has reconfiged the nic settings
and or firewall settings
also sign of failing nic
I had a realtek fail this way ,slowly fading connection
bad cable connection,reinstall.the router/switch port good also be heading byby.
try switching ports see if this helps

Ok, I just booted the system up using Knoppix and did the speed test at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and it ran like the rest of the computers. Download about 550Kb/s and upload about 45Kb/s.

This tells me that it isn't hardware related. I just don't know what setting could be limiting my download speed.

I used msconfig and stopped all the programs from starting up and still have the slow download speed.

Any other suggestions?

Mike in Ohio

The most obvious is the software firewall.. Uninstall any firewalls you have. Get rid of antivirus and VPN software too. Look in Device Manager, enable showing hidden devices and remove any leftovers from non-pnp devices.

When you talk about your download speeds do you mean 500KB/s or 500kb/s? If we are talking about half a megabyte per second then the NIC drivers and their settings start playing a role in your connection speed. See what duplex and speed your NIC connects at.

Ok, I have 5 computers on a home network, 4 Windows XP and one Redhat Linux Fedora Core 4. About a month ago, one of the windows boxes suddenly went from about 550Kb/s download to 100Kb/s download from various newsgroups. Also, when trying to pull AND push files to that same box, it is a very slow file transfer.
To be clear, this is a previously existing system and nothing was installed or changed on this box, but the thruput went into to tank? It was running with good results, but now it stinks. Are all (Windows) systems at the same maintenance level? Are you sure?

All the boxes except the linux box were set up the same, with only 1 user account made as administrator.

It is now working, and I'm not exactly sure why. I went into my add/remove programs, and deleted some unused programs. One of which was the firewall **Protowall**

BUT

I installed Protowall AFTER my speed fell down. That just doesn't make sense to me, but since it's working now, I'm not going to touch it.

Thanks for all your help and replys!

Mike in Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back