1 SEPTEMBER - telemarketers can call cell phones!

Tedster

JUST A REMINDER... September 1st 2005, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS... To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 1-888-382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, they'll appreciate it! You can also do this online at www.donotcall.
:mad:

That's a bunch of bologna. It's just a false chain letter, I got one too. It's illegal for telemarketers to call you on your cell phone. And while you can add your cell number to the do not call list, it doesn't really do any good.

In fact, per FCC regulations, telemarketers are already prohibited from calling cell phone numbers using automated dialers, which are standard in the industry.
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_cell_phone_directory.htm

I think you're partially correct..... this came about due to the wireless providers releasing lists.

I do get calls from telemarketers on my cell occasionally.

Well, if my wireless provider released number lists to the public, and "sold out" on me, then I'd want to leave them, it's not worth paying your monthly bill and having to have your number solicited also. That's like paying cash for a program and it having adware built in to bother you continually, even though you paid.

Ring ring

vnf4ultra said:
From this link:
In any case, the Federal Trade Commission does allow cell phone users to add their numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry — the same one already in force for landlines — either on the Web or by calling 1-888-382-1222.

Contrary to what some variants of the email rumor claim, there is no 31-day or December 15 deadline for adding cell phone numbers to the Do Not Call list — indeed, there is no deadline whatsoever.

I added mine, just because it's my only phone. I wonder if this includes
automated bill collector calls? :dead:

Does everyone here get a lot of phone calls a day from companies trying to sell you stuff like windows, mobiles and insurance? In the UK at least we're plagued by them.
If everyone just said 'No' they would stop calling but there always those who are "interested in a new kitchen." Normally i will just say politely say no or fob them off with some excuse.

Mark Neilan said:
" Normally i will just say politely say no or fob them off with some excuse but if I'm annoyed it's always fun to act interested then say no or say that person doesn't live here anymore".
I really like to play with them. :evil:

When I had a land line and got marketeers, I tried to save them some time
and offer my product to them in trade. I switched it on them.
I became the sales person, this left them disatvantaged. If they wouldn't
consider buying my product (enabling me to buy thiers) or at least listen
to my pitch, how can they expect me to return the same. :rolleyes:
I've even done this at friends houses when they get those calls.

I love cell phones and feel no obligation to answer every call that comes in.
I especialy love the caller ID and reject options.
That's why I pay for voicemail. Funny thing is, it has an off button too. :angel:
Oh-yeah Tedster,
How can I be out of $$$? I still have checks :haha:

Back