128mb or 64mb GeForce 4 Ti4200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdmk

System specs as they stand:

AMD 750Mhz Athlon
AOpen 32mb TNT2 (model 64)
256mb PC100 ram.

I know that they're not great system specs, so I've decided to upgrade, just a bit, with a GeForce 4 Ti4200 instead of the TNT2.

At present I get a 3D Mark 2001 score of 932, which is kinda low. I want the best performance I can get on this system, without changing major parts.

Which GeForce 4 Ti4200 should I get?:

The 128mb card
or the 64mb card (which I have heard has faster clock and memory speeds)

I was thinking that I should get the 64mb card, as I want the speed and I don't think the rest of the PC is up to the 128mb's extra features - plus the 64mb card if cheaper.

While I'm at it would it make any difference to upgrade the RAM to 448mb (I am currently running Windows XP).

Cheers..:grinthumb

As for upgrading, the RAM, I'd suspect you would see a pretty good performance increase if you do. As for the Video Card, that card @ 128MB might be a bit much for your system. Go to Nvidia.com and check their video card comaprison test, it will analyse your system and tell you the best card to match your specs.

The best thing you can do to improve performance is to get a mobo that supports PC2100 DDR, or at least upgrading what you currently have.

128MB would be worthwhile if you want highresolutions + FSAA.
Though you'd be better with getting a GeForce 3 Ti 200 + a faster CPU instead

Originally posted by TS | Thomas
128MB would be worthwhile if you want highresolutions + FSAA.
Though you'd be better with getting a GeForce 3 Ti 200 + a faster CPU instead

Seeing as he has pc100 RAM, he would probably benifit more from a mobo+CPU upgrade. Even his current configuration will be better when he gets rid of that pc100 SDRAM.

I'll go for the 64mb card then - I don't really care about high resolutions or FSAA - 1024x768 is fine for me - 17" Monitor.

Thanks...:)

I would go for the mobo and new memory option, but that would basically be re-building the PC from scratch, and I don't have the money to do that...

Would a 64mb GeForce 4 Ti4200 be the right card, or should I go for a 64mb GeForce 3 Ti200? I am unlikely to upgrade the mobo significantly until both are ancient.

Cheers.

The GF3 Ti200 is probably better matched to your specs, you can check Nvidia's comparison test to see what the best card for your system is though, as I mentioned before.

*BTW, pc100 SDRAM modules are ancient.

Originally posted by hdmk
Would a 64mb GeForce 4 Ti4200 be the right card, or should I go for a 64mb GeForce 3 Ti200? I am unlikely to upgrade the mobo significantly until both are ancient.
No point getting a GeForce 4 really, the CPUs basically too slow to be worth the cost.
Using a GeForce 4 Ti 4400 here on my system & for the most part even this CPU is too slow. The only major difference with the card is when running at 1024x768 with 4X FSAA, everything else runs about the same.

HDMK,

I've searched for an actual retail card or even a review of one. I can find 'reference' cards that have 'previews' & this particular article from April 10 that says they are waiting for some retail cards to review: http://www.tech-report.com/onearticle.x/3544 ,but I can't find an actual card. :rolleyes:

If a 64mb is going to retail for $149, I'm VERY interested. The 'previews' show the 'reference' 64mb outperforming a 8500 w/128mb. Talk about 'bang for the buck'! :cool:

I'm also interested in the Xabre http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/triplex/xabre/xabrep1.htm even tho' it will probably require a MoBo that supports it's AGP 8X.

I'm going to wait 'til Fall & see what happens. Lots of new tech coming out & prices on existing cards *should* plummet! ;)

HTH,

How about a lesser-video card such as a Geforce 3 (save a little cash) and plug a faster CPU in that rig?

A new 1Ghz+ Athlon/Duron shouldn't cost more than 70 dollars or so.

Personally, I don't see your processor as very slow. I know the mentality of the hard core gamer is "gotta be fast!", but 750Mhz seriously is fine for just about any game on the market right now. My sister's computer running on a 650 (Overlcocked to 700 something) runs games fine.. Games like Serious Sam SE, Command and Conquer: Renegade, Giants and Return to Castle Wolfenstien. I think these games are a pretty good representation of current gaming and her computer runs them fairly smoothly. She might not get 400fps, but it's playable and enjoyably so.

However, if you choose not to get a new processor, good luck with Unreal 2 and other next-age titles. :) For the now, I think you are okay. But for the future, it might be wise to invest in a new processor.

One thing is for sure though - That video card HAS to go. I'd get a new video card before anything else. It's too hard to enjoy any recent games with a card barely as fast as a defunct Voodoo3. So I would put priority on replacing the video card... Next in line would be the CPU. If you do things right, you may be able to reach a nice medium for both and replace them at the same time, although I recommend getting a "good" CPU and a "good" video card instead of an okay CPU and an okay video card.

I agree, if what you want is to improve your game performance then you should get a new videocard, CPU and mobo will have to wait but the videocard upgrade should be enough for now to get you running today's games just fine. A bit of CPU overclocking wouldn't hurt much either IMHO.

If you can get a Ti4200 for a very good price (those will be widely available in two weeks and I believe 64mb version will be cheaper) then I would say you are better off with that one, even when getting a GF3 Ti200 makes more sense right now, think that your GeForce4 Ti4200 will do a great job now and probably later, too, so if you get some more money for more system upgrades, you will have a good videocard to couple them with.

Get the geforce 4 Ti 4200 now, and when you do get a new computer/upgrade u will still have the Geforce 4Ti 4200 instead of buying a new video card.

You maybe take a GeForce 3 Ti 500 from GAINWARD because it has 128 RAM, 250 Mhz clock speed & 500 Mhz memory speed for only 220 $ !!!:giddy:

The 128 of ram helps you in high resolution and 2D & 3D Design Programs because the computer use the memory on the grafic card to load a game or an application; if the card memory isn't enough ur computer will use the memory on ur board (that pc 100 u have:puke: , but don't worry i have pc 66 i think:puke: :puke: ). How u have slow speed memory on board i recomand this GeForce with 128 RAM until u will make an upgrade for memory up to PC 2100 or better PC 2700!

BYE now!!! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back