+12V problem, insufficient powerrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genome852

Alright. Ever since I got my new mobo, e6600, and 2gigs of DDR2, my graphics card has been giving me massive amounts of artifacts in EVERY single game I played. I am an ***** since I hadn't checked the voltages earlier.

Apparently, everest says it should have +12v, but I only have +1V !!!

This did not happen with my older computer. The molex connector that came with the video card is connected properly and all. I tried using one that is sticking out from the PSU, but unfortunately it doesn't work (theres 6 .. lines on the PSU one, instead of the 5-line molex that came with the video card).

Is there something I can do to correct this thing? I've reinstalled drivers, reformatted, reseated the video card, etc.

And no, my PSU isn't malfunctioning since all other voltages are normal.

Specs:

7900GT 256mb
500W PSU
2gb ddr667
e6600
160GB HDD
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

I've heard that the gigabyte mobo has some power issues... can't find a solution though.

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures
Aux 30 °C (86 °F)
GPU 46 °C (115 °F)

Voltage Values
CPU Core 2.27 V
+2.5 V 2.64 V
+3.3 V 3.20 V
+5 V 4.76 V
+12 V 3.20 V
+5 V Standby 5.11 V
Debug Info F FF FF FF
Debug Info T 30 04 01
Debug Info V 8E A5 C8 B1 32 08 42 (77)

Did some tests...

It's not the PSU. I plugged the vid card into another seperate PSU and it still showed +1v only.

It's not the power connector either.

What else could cause the problem, besides the video card itself, or the motherboard?

Can you test the voltages using a multimeter? That would be much more accurate than any software reading.

Have you checked the 7900GT's operating temperature?

The temperatures are 43-48 idle (depending on the temperature of the day) and 63-70 load.

I don't have a multimeter, but the readings of the other voltages in everest are quite close to what they should be, so why would the 12 rail reading be so off?

Speedfan reports the +12v as +3v too, and the -12V as -16V...

And I just realized that the 12v is connected to the motherboard and not the video card >_>

Ah nevermind, turns out those applications weren't giving the right reading.

Genome852 said:
And I just realized that the 12v is connected to the motherboard and not the video card >_>

What do you mean? Is a power cable connected to the video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back