16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem error

Status
Not open for further replies.

death

Hi guys................I am new to this forum

I am running Windows XP pro on AMD 2100+ processor, 512MB ddr ram, and ATI Radeon 8500LE..............I have installed Norton Internet Security Pro 2004 on my computer, along with Daemon virtual drive and other stuff...

Whenever I start my computer I get ther error........

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\DOCUM~1\TRUSNOOP\LOCALS~1\Temp\Ispdss.exe

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

CS:0568 IP:01d7 OP:6368 65 2f31 choose 'close' to terminate the application.

Any suggestion will be helpfull.................THANKS.

Everything that I've found on google that appears remotely relevant seems to indicate that this is spyware/adware/virus related. However, nothing is a direct match to your error message.

The general suggestions for a person in your scenario seems to be: 1. Update NAV to the most recent virus definitions, and run a full system scan.
2. Get Spybot search and destory from security.kolla.de (Version 1.3- older versinos are no longer updated.) After downloading the most recent updates, run a scan and fix it's problems.
3. For good measure, get Adaware 6.0 and run it as well. Getting updates. Of course!

Now. The location and name of the file "ispdss" seems highly suspect. I would guess it indeed is some sorta malware that you don't want. But to be sure- have you recently installed any programs or drivers fairly recently that would cause this to load? Any install that's half finished, or program before the last reboot that you're just finally seeing now???

Any and all information you can give us will help track down the error message that you're getting. However, I'm guessing if you remove the file from your startup using MSConfig or a similar utility, you'll be fine.

Btw- Welcome to Techspot!

First of all thank you for your suggestions.............

I have intalled GTA:Vice city, but now I uninstalled it. I can't think of anything else installed recently.

Also, how can I get rid of this file using MSConfig, because I never used MSConfig......

Thank You.

Click on Start/Run and type in msconfig and press Enter.
Select the Startup tab. If you find that program in there, un-tick it, click OK or whatever it asks.
Reboot. If the error is gone, you can now safely remove the offending files and directories.

If the problem persists, D/L and install Hijackthis. Run it, but make NO corrections. Display the resulting logfile here, and we can help you further.

Hi,

I didn't find this program in MSConfig, however, I have fixed the problem it was just a illegal program which norton turned it off....

Anyways thanx guys for your help..

The fix

I know this is old and you may have fixed this by now but....
Try this.
http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/xp_fix.exe
This installaton program will reinstall the missing or corrupt Windows XP system files command.com, autoexec.nt and config.nt. The absence or corruption of one or more of these files causes a "16 Bit Subsystem" error.

We recommend that you download this file and save it to your desktop or to another location where you can find it. Double click on the file to run it once it's downloaded. If problem reoccurs in the future, simply re-run this program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back