160GB HDD problem (Reads 127GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

}{yBr!D^

I purchased a Western Digital Cavier Hard Drive and installed it on a P4 1.7GHz 1GB of RAM with an Intel motherboard (D845WN)...

The BIOS is updated p;lus installed Ultra ATA storage drivers for the IDE's... and nothing... still reads 127GB's...

The hard drive didn't come with a CD like previous maxtor drivers that I purchased did... so I was hoping on SP2 and a disk/error check to open up the remaining space. Is there any other alternative?

You should double-check in registry just in case Windows hasn't bothered to enable
large disk support:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters\EnableBigLba value should be 1.
also when you do a format - it ask do you want to enable a large HD did you say Y= yes or N = No.... No will not allow large HD value.
FDISK & FORMAT a Hard DriveLearn how to FDISK & Format your computer's hard drive in this easy to follow ... Large Disk Support means "FAT32". Answer "Y" to enable large disk support. ...

Therefore, selecting "N" will give you FAT 16 and a 2 gigabyte partition and "Y" will enable large hard drive support, or the FAT 32 file system. ...

I didn't do it through fdisk nor format C:

did it through XP... I'll check the registry

and I have it under NTFS not FAT

I saw that thread after I posted this.. and it did not help... I'm going to try what Frank posted.. if all else fails.. i'm gunna use lifeguard from wd... see what happens.

}{yBr!D^ said:
so I was hoping on SP2 and a disk/error check to open up the remaining space. Is there any other alternative?

Obviously you can't read... jeez...

Everything posted here didn't work, I figured it out myself anyways.

I downloaded the Data Lifeguard tool from western digital... and reformatted everything.. did the job... like maxtor does...

}{yBr!D^ said:
I downloaded the Data Lifeguard tool from western digital... and reformatted everything.. did the job... like maxtor does...
As was suggested in the sticky thread regarding issues with drives larger then 137GB. I think you're also guilty of not reading already available information.

In the end, all the people who posted here were only trying to help. If you can't appreciate that, we would be glad to have you leave these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back