1700-2400+ No performance increase???

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilex

I get no noticable performance increase from a 1700+ to 2400+ Shouldn't it be at least noticable? I have the settings in my BIOS set to 133/133 and it reads as a 2400+ 2.01 Ghz in windows...arg!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

-K7S5A motherboard
-512 DDR2100 RAM
-Windows XP Professional
-ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
-Audigy 2

Any program I use. Games, ACID, Reason... I installed the 2400+ today and expected a huge gain in performance but nothing is running faster.

thats the upgrade im thinking of if i dont go for a new motherboard and cpu/ram solution - whats the performance increase like now you have it running?

get the 2500+ is not much more then the 2400 (the 2500 is $90) and the 2500 will be a lot faster then the 2400.

The performance gain was great with everything but music creation, which is the main reason I wanted the upgrade. Games and everything else run great now, Battlefield 1942 SWofWWII and Postal 2 demos being my current test prototypes since I don't have much room on this old 7200 10GB hard drive. There was a drastic increase of FPS in those demos.

I believe you can use a 2600+ 266fsb on this board, providing you have the right BIOS.

You've done quite a jump in processing power but the memory bandwidth & size is the same ( PC2100 & 512mb ) & certain programs might benefit from that a lot more then from extra processing power.

What program do you use for creating music ?

Acid 3.0 is the one that I've had the most problems with in terms of performance. It stutters when many sounds are going on at the same time, yet it says it's only using around 50/512 megs of RAM in the bottom right corner. I figured by upgrading the CPU it would solve that problem but it didn't change anything.

for a laugh you could try disabling the virtual memory settings, that way windows would load everything into ram (in theory).

you can always turn it back if it doesnt help.

instead of disabling it, you could just use a hack that forces "most" things to use RAM before turning to the PF. You'll also want to disable Kernel paging, though I'd caution you against it if you have less that 512MB physical RAM. For more info on the hacks I mentioned, use the Registry link in my signature.

I clicked on the link but didnt find anything along those lines. Also, I disabled the virtual ram but nothing changed. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back