184-pin RDRAM RIMM memory modules 800 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigwatanabe

Upon opening up a Dell Dimension 8100 for non-bootup problems I realize this animal has these memory modules with heat spreaders.

When checking on pricing on these modules, one online memory shop indicates that these particular modules MR16R1628AFO-CK8 800-45 memory modules have been discontinued. Other sites seem to be selling them as normal inventory.

These modules are the 184-pin RDRAM modules not the 232-pin modules. Are these modules prone to keeping a Dell from booting up?

When troubleshooting this Dell computer I unplugged everything from the mobo up to and including swapping power supplies with no luck in the computer even powering up (the CPU fan doesn't come on at all). I even swapped out the Pentium 4 CPU with another and still no boot up.

While searching the internet for an answer, I found this one Google item from another forum indicating this exact memory module failing and not being able to boot up the computer. Are these memory modules that tempermental? I read that these modules must be installed in matched pairs.

For this particular job I'm thinking either the memory module(s) may have gone bad, the mobo went south, or the BIOS is dead (replaced the battery with no change). Before I end up ordering another mobo I'd like to know if the problem could be the memory modules going bad.

Thanks,

Craig

RD RAM = complete nightmare. I'd suggest it would be cheaper to get an entire new AMD system (MOBO, memory and processor) rather than trying to get more RD RAM, especially as you'll have to buy a pair of RD modules as they don't work singly.

I'm actually thinking along the same lines except this computer uses a P4. I realized that I could buy another mobo and 512mb of DDR400 ram and still save a few nickles.

I have a Dell 8250 that uses RDRAM. I used CPU-Z to determine the RAM part number and managed to find the exact same Samsung part number at ZipZoomFly. Newegg did not carry it. Anyway, I ordered a set to increase my total RDRAM to 1GB. I haven't installed it yet, however.

are you sure?

paulla said:
RD RAM = complete nightmare. I'd suggest it would be cheaper to get an entire new AMD system (MOBO, memory and processor) rather than trying to get more RD RAM, especially as you'll have to buy a pair of RD modules as they don't work singly.

really?, no way are you serious? I just bought a p4 xeon and put 2x2.4ghz and also I just bought 1 gb rdram memory, and I pay 100 bucks are you serious I need two for them to work?, I dont want to pay another 100 bucks

Un_genio007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back