$19.95 for Hotmail??

PHATMAN5050

I went to sign into my hotmail account to delete my junk mail when i was alerted that hotmail now requires you to pay $19.95 for their services now. When did this happen? Is microsoft NOT getting enough money that they now need to make their free services cost money? I wont be surprised if we'll have to pay to use MSN Messenger now. I feel that a price for hotmail is incredibly ridiculous. I'm fired up now...where's my linux guide!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

HUH?? Mine dont say that!
Mine only asks me to pay when ive got too much stuff in my Inbox, and then it justs sends me an email asking me if i want to join their pay accounts!

:confused: :confused:

I didn't get that message but I suppose it won't be long before all the mail providers go to a paying service. Yahoo no longer allows to use its pop3 services without paying, next thing you know they'll charge for the web mail service too.

Wow Phatman..This is big news if what your saying is correct. I havent seen it while trying to access my account but maybe people signing up now will get hit with the fee. Its something I will have to look into. Unfortunately, I am at work and the firewall restricts me from accessing Hotmail..

On the hotmail page, it says free web based email everywhere. The Sign Up button even says "Wanna Sign Up for free Email ?" ...

Are you being redirected to a con site Phat ?

Hey PHAT, I have seen this before too. It is just a gimmick that someone came up with to try and get morons (sorry if anyone reading this payed them :rolleyes: ) to pay them. I have gotten this email numerous times. And yes it is still a FREE email system. So just delete it and move on :)

Seize the day! Get Extra Storage
You’ve probably been thinking about signing up for MSN Extra Storage for a while, so why not do it today? For a mere $19.95* per year (that’s an average of $1.67 per month) you’ll get five times more storage space than you have now. Not only that, you won’t have to worry about signing in every 30 days, or having your account frozen because you went over your limit. Why wait? Sign up for MSN Extra Storage now!

MSN Extra Storage gives you the freedom to do more and worry less. You get:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hotmail 10MB Inbox
With 5 times more storage, you'll have plenty of room for more e-mail, photos, etc. Plus you can send/receive attachments as large as 1.5MB.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Account Expiration
Never worry about losing your Hotmail account. The 30-day sign-in policy simply won't apply to you. Extra Communities Storage
You'll get 30MB of storage on MSN Communities - the perfect way to store and share photos, music, etc.*

All for only $19.95 a year!*

yes, that was the page uncleel, i take it that you got it too?

poertner- i didn't receive it in an email, it took me to that webpage instead of to my inbox when i sign in. i got around it though by finding a tiny checkbox somewhere that said like CONTINUE WITHOUT EXTRA SPACE or something of the sort.

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
finding a tiny checkbox somewhere that said like CONTINUE WITHOUT EXTRA SPACE
Did it say, "Sure you want to delete not take advantage of this wonderful offer?"
Your worst nightmare, pop-up ads that won't go away until you buy

Originally posted by svtcobra
phatman...I hope you dont mind me giving you some credit on the frontpage.

o thanks, i didn't notice it until now...wasnt trying to get on there but im glad that 3ds thinks that its an important topic

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
im glad that 3ds thinks that its an important topic
20 Bucks is 20 Bucks!

Morris and Esther were in their 80's and the state fair was still the highlight of their year. Every year Morris would tell Esther he would like to take a ride in the airplane but she would veto it by saying, "Morris, that plane ride costs $20; and $20 is $20 you know!" Now Morris is 85 and says to Esther, "Look, we're really getting old and if we don't take this plane ride we may never get a chance to do so." Her reply again is, "Morris we shouldn't spend that kind of money; $20 is $20 you know!"

The plane pilot overheard them and said, "I know both of you will enjoy an airplane ride so I'll make a deal with you. We will go for a ride and if you don't say anything, the ride is free but if you say a single word it will cost $20. Is that a deal?" Morris and Esther agreed and got on the plane. Using all his skills, the pilot looped, dived, turned and rolled. After landing the plane the pilot turned to Morris and said, "I'm surprised! I didn't hear a single sound back there." Morris responded, "Well, I almost said something when Esther fell out, but $20 is $20 you know!"

(author unknown)

Originally posted by uncleel

20 Bucks is 20 Bucks!

Morris and Esther were in their 80's and the state fair was still the highlight of their year. Every year Morris would tell Esther he would like to take a ride in the airplane but she would veto it by saying, "Morris, that plane ride costs $20; and $20 is $20 you know!" Now Morris is 85 and says to Esther, "Look, we're really getting old and if we don't take this plane ride we may never get a chance to do so." Her reply again is, "Morris we shouldn't spend that kind of money; $20 is $20 you know!"

The plane pilot overheard them and said, "I know both of you will enjoy an airplane ride so I'll make a deal with you. We will go for a ride and if you don't say anything, the ride is free but if you say a single word it will cost $20. Is that a deal?" Morris and Esther agreed and got on the plane. Using all his skills, the pilot looped, dived, turned and rolled. After landing the plane the pilot turned to Morris and said, "I'm surprised! I didn't hear a single sound back there." Morris responded, "Well, I almost said something when Esther fell out, but $20 is $20 you know!"

(author unknown)

lol, I try not to waste posts on relavent[size=1](sp?)[/size] topics but that was a pretty funny joke. :)

i've seen a similar warning..... its inevitable really, considering the cost of maintaining all the MSN/Hotmail services. Noticed that many other Internet email systems are going the same way (Yayoo etc).... sorry I don't have a link to back that up tho'.

We will soon have to pay for pretty much any of the useful resources on the net (hope you guys at 3DS ingnored that last comment!!).

Resigned to Capitalism,

Spliffy

yes, i'm glad that 3ds doesn't require money to join, and i thank our sponsors for that.

Uncleel- lmao, that's a pretty funny story which shows how far people will go to conserve money, even if they are in a story.

After I saw this topic on the main page I quickly went and backed up my whole hotmail account into Outlook Express . I just hope it is safe in there

Originally posted by Supra
After I saw this topic on the main page I quickly went and backed up my whole hotmail account into Outlook Express . I just hope it is safe in there

I've been doing that for a while now, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be secure in Outlook... Just make sure you dont exceed your 2Meg limit and I'm sure all will be fine tho' (For now)

you'd be tempted to think that the MAELSTROM of spam you get with a hotmail account is encouraged by M$ just to get you to sign up for the enhanced, fee paying account...

I remember the days of hotmail before Micro$oft.... oh yes, yet another thing that was NOT M$'s creation that they took over..... And it was far better then....

I am not the biggest fan of MS to begin with. When they started this latest scam to con people out of their $20.00, my opinion of the company descended further. Granted the cost of hosting terabytes of data is costly, but they get tremendous ad revenue and corporate bragging rights from the hotmail site due to the ubiquitous nature of this behemoth. I don't have a problem with a company trying to make a buck, but don't con the uneducated computer users please. Mention the $19.95 yearly option once or twice, then drop it.

Backing up your Hotmail account in Outlook Express

In Outlook Express go to Tools -> Accounts...
Then click Add -> Mail...
Enter your display name -> Next
Enter your hotmail address -> Next -> Next again
Then enter your password if you want it to automatically check your mail when you start outlook else it will prompt you for your hotmail password everytime -> Next -> Finish
Allow it download all your folders.
Once its done click on the Syncronize account button, then it will download all your emails on to your computer. Viola:grinthumb
From then on I would either check my account with outlook or whenever your get an important email you need to keep just click on the syncronize account button and it will download any new emails.

Back