19" CRT or 15" LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

Just a quick one, Ive been looking through the past posts as I need a new monitor.
Space is not really an issue.

I can buy a Fair 15" Lcd for £250 to £300
Or I can buy a
Very good CRT 19" For The same price,
Its Probably between the Samsung SM957df for £224
Or
Iiyama Vision master pro 452 for £245.

Are there any pitfalls that I have not considered.

Main use is Photo editing and some gaming.

I have been working with a Samsung SM151 15" and was impressed with the clarity, It makes my old monitor look sad but is a good CRT as good. I would prefer the extra screen size and The £100 cost difference is important.

I have the 957DF but for the extra cost I would go with the Illyama. At the time I was looking for a monitor I could only find the Illyama for £340 but got the 957DF for £240. I went with the cheaper option but haven't really regretted it. I would try some games on the TFT screen if you can. Things are improving but you still see that "ghosting" effect where the screen elements don't update as quickly as a CRT. Space is another consideration since my desk (corner desk) has a keyboard, mouse and large 957DF on it, if space is a problem get a TFT, although it is a small size with lower resolutions. If you need to run higher resolutions for any reason then go with the 19" CRT. Another thing is that the 957DF is a Dynaflat monitor, i.e. it doesn't have a truely flat screen. The Illyama as far as I remember has a Mitsubushi tube which is flat and other truely flat monitors usually utilise Sony Trinitron tubes. This is why at £20 difference I would opt for the Illyama.

I also have used 19" Sony TFT screens at work and they still have the "ghosting" effect... CRT still rules for gaming usage! ;)

Get the CRT. LCD's you have to deal with so many thing such as Dead pixels, Ghosting, the list go's on and on. The most important thing is that CRT's cost a lot less.

ss1.

All things considered, we're still talking 15" vs 19", I'd have to go with the 19" anyway. LCDs have come a long way but they still have a little further to go before they can be as reliable as a good ol' CRT.

Thanks everyone

It will be a crt then.
Probably the Illyama. I also see for a bit more there is the VMpro 454 with more stuff.
Hmmm

Ok it has USB hub and a few other things.
It also does 2048 at 80Hz... Does your graphic card output this high a resolution or do you plan on having a future card that does? Its maybe worthwhile if you plan to use this resolution. Remember to add the tax on as well!!
So that 454 is £340!.... It would be a stunning monitor to keep for sometime far into the future.

I was considering the 454 when I bought the Samsung for £100 less. I didn't really need to run 2048 resolution at anypoint in the forseeable future, therefore I opted for the cheaper option. 19" isn't really big enough for 2048 in my opinion anyway.

Go with the cheaper illyama unless you have far too much money to burn :p

I've run my Samsung 957DF at 2048 resolution and desktop is too tiny.
One game I have run at that resolution is Project Eden and it didn't make that much difference to the image...

Its £279 free delivery and we dont pay tax in the Channel Islands

The 452 is £245
The 454 is £279

I will be upgrading the graphics card in time, I usually go for the few £ saving and then regret it later.

I had a feeling that might be the case.
Thats it. I am moving to the Channel Islands ;)
For £34 difference go for the 454. Even when your running in lower resolutions it should provide and even higher refresh rate which is never a bad thing. The higher bandwidth of the ramdac in the monitor will provide future higher resolution possibilities.
Go for it at that price. Plus you can never have enough USB ports :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back