19" LCD monitor: Samsung or Planar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

videobruce

I'm looking at the 191T/192T and the PX191. $100 difference in price and the Planar seems to be the better of the 2, but at a cost.

Other than the mount, what is the difference between the 191 and 192?

I do some gaming, but not that much, but I do scroll web pages and ghosting/trailing images/text would be a problem. Half the reviews for the Samsungs say ghosting is a problem the other half say it's not or at least very little.

I assume it is some kind of issue with the video card and the monitor, but don't know what. Any input on why a card would cause ghosting (using recent cards)?

I have the Samsung 191T and it's a wonderfull monitor. I don;t notice ghsting in it. Ghosting is independant of the gfx card and wether you use DVI or D-Sub. I also have a 18' Gateway with some noticeable ghosting, but when you get used to it, it just 'dissapears'.

Ghosting will always be a problem for this generation of LCD screens. The lower the "ms" the lower the ghosting. 25ms is typical and I can't find anything faster.

I'd say go with Samsung, my dad has a Samsung LCD and ghosting really isn't noticeable :)

I'm probably buying a Samsung 213T-Black because I need the resolution :D (later of course...$1299 :D)

I have the 191T as well - biggest difference is dual input on the 191T. As far as I'm concerned it's a must have feature for a monitor of this cost. Also, I've only noticed a bit of ghosting from a few games - AC2 being one of them and only in overhead mode.

what is ghosting? ive been noticing this thing with my lcd screen that like in games if i move fast or straff thiers a faint trail behind thing(not a long trail)is that ghosting?
this also happens at desktop when i move a window also the letter darkin in the window

Originally posted by WaCk4
what is ghosting? ive been noticing this thing with my lcd screen that like in games if i move fast or straff thiers a faint trail behind thing(not a long trail)is that ghosting?
this also happens at desktop when i move a window also the letter darkin in the window

Yep thats exactly what ghosting is ;)

LCD's just have a much worse senario (depending on the quailty of the product) then CRTs do. Lower refresh rate = less ghosting. I have the Samsung SyncMaster 175v, and its refresh rate is 25ms.. and even at that, I barely notice much ghosting.

I've compared about 3 brands of monitors for work and we've ended up buying Samsungs for a few applications.....they seem to be the best bang for the buck and the clarity for the applications they're being used for is far beyond what they've ever been.

neither are really "better", but 60Hz will be less forgiving on some peoples eyes. If one is going to be better then the other, 75Hz would 'win'. =\ =/

Originally posted by ---agissi---
neither are really "better", but 60Hz will be less forgiving on some peoples eyes. If one is going to be better then the other, 75Hz would 'win'. =\ =/

Eh, just to clarify, that is correct on a CRT screen, but not LCD, as the latter doesn't rely on a beam to "draw" the picture and as such doesn't have the shimmering look CRT screens has at lower Hz...

So you can run a LCD screen happily at 60Hz without any chances of getting a headache :)

As far as the respons time goes... Make sure that it meassures both rise and fall times, and that it meassures from white to black back to white (and not any halfcolours)...
Then go for the lowest number and you shouldn't have any problems with ghosting :)

Ah, I was referring to CRT not LCD in the first palce (but i didnt really say so thanks for clarifiing :p)

Why is it my LCD is much more clear at 75Hz then 60? (text is finer/less fuzzy)

Are you using DVI or analog video? Blurriness can be blamed on the poor quality of the analog VGA cable that may have shipped with your LCD.

Analog video pretty sure, its the same connecter CRTs use. They I just take the converter VGA to DVI so I can run dual moniters. The quailty is good, but much shaper at a Hz above 60.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Analog video pretty sure, its the same connecter CRTs use. They I just take the converter VGA to DVI so I can run dual moniters. The quailty is good, but much shaper at a Hz above 60.

That has to do with the increase of information being sendt...
The higher the Hz, the more info is being sendt, requireing (sp?) more bandwidth... Thus the need for a good DVI cable becomes more apparent...

Not quite sure how it applies when using a regular analogue cable though...

(I'll see if I can be bothered to do a search about it, but since I don't have an LCD....)

i have an NEC LCD1525m connected analog, and the specs say i should run at 75MHz, would it be safe to assume i could run at 60MHz?

Yeah it'll be fine running @ lower spec then what they say. The picture will (probably) look better at 75Hz tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back