1gb Connection not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure when it happened, but recently my network, including the server, dropped down to 100Mb and I cannot seem to get them back to 1gb. I think the problem is the server is not connecting at 1gb and therefore nothing else can. I tried multiple GB switches and multiple cables. The NIC on the server is set to Auto Detect its connection and when I change it to 1000Mb it drops the connection completely, although the NIC utility I use says it has the capability to connect at a higher rate. Does this sound like a NIC issue? I wanted another opinion before I took the entire network down.

Download a new NIC driver and set it aside. Then go into Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device manager and disable or remove the old driver. Now you can install the new driver you downloaded.
In our experience, you don't have a slower speed connected with the NIC... it is usually all or nothing.
But after I had done the above, I would call tech support of your internet provider. They can "see" into your cable or DSL modem and perhaps make some observations.
Also, it can be helpful to have a little history of connetion speeds for about six hours... once per hour. Many providers like and trust Internet Frog, so you might first try that to measure and report your upload and download speeds.

I think he's talking about local network speeds, the Internet provider is not concerned here.

Have the cables been damaged in any way, that could also result in the server's NIC card negotiating a slower speed with the router.

btw: As your ISP gateway will not give 1gb performance to you, you are only affecting
your lan system-to-system performance and that is limited by the how fast each
system can read/write files. 100mb is usually far more than most systems can use
effectively anyway.

Gigabit Ethernet is useful once you have more than one machine using the network at the same time & believe me you feel the difference from a 100Mb connection. One computer can't saturate 100Mb but once you start adding machines with many of them transferring large files over the network it will slow down until it literally crawls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back